Finally in Adelaide!

Guest Kadphises

Guest Kadphises

Arrived last night, YAY!

Now have to get my head round all the unpleasantries like opening a bank account, medicare, changing my driver's licence etc etc.... :arghh:

Still can't believe I am actually staying. :unsure:

Guest onourway

Welcome!!! We've been here just under 4 weeks. Got most of the important (and boring!) stuff sorted in the first few days. You'll be fine. If you need any pointers then be sure to ask on here. Good luck :-)

Guest Kadphises
Welcome!!! We've been here just under 4 weeks. Got most of the important (and boring!) stuff sorted in the first few days. You'll be fine. If you need any pointers then be sure to ask on here. Good luck :-)

Thanks onourway! Hopefully I won't need to bother anyone about these things, but it is good to know I can ask if/when I get stuck.

Guest Kadphises

Thanks for the advice Tamara and Chris.

Managed to open a bank account yesterday. Was surprised by the lack of hassle, refreshing.

Tomorrow will try and get the medicare card, driver's licence and maybe tax no sorted.

Step by step becoming a resident!

You need a proof of address for driving license or Medicare, so don't just rock up expecting to do it. We had a statement from the bank which was stamped.

Hi,

How did you get proof of address, did you use your short term accomodation address? Was going to open account from UK. thanks for any info.

Hi' date='

How did you get proof of address, did you use your short term accomodation address? Was going to open account from UK. thanks for any info.[/quote']

It's quite difficult to provide proof of address as you don't have a rates or utility account with anything showing where you are living. The way around this is to get your bank to provide you with a statement which is stamped, showing your present address and this can be your short term accommodation address. Once you move you change the address (so that they have somewhere to send your speeding fines to!) and they give you a sticker to go onto your Aussie drivers licence with your new address on it. The licence itself is really important as id and contributes towards the total of 100 id points that will be required for things like long term leases, mobile phone contracts etc.

Tamara

Guest Kadphises

Australian banks really seem to be relatively hassle-free. You can even open accounts from the UK online using your UK address, once you're here you can then change it to whatever it is and they'll give you a letter of introduction to get your other official stuff sorted. Really easy.

I now have my medicare no. and SA driver's licence and it took me all of 1 hour to get both.

I checked about the online application Chris, but it is not an option for me as I have an Australian passport. Will have to do the paper trail one instead.

Now what do I do for the rest of the day? Oh yes, go for a walk on the beach!