How to fix things to a boat.

minty

Well as the heading say how do you fix things to a boat. Do you have to drill the fiberglass and nut and bolt through or can you pilot drill and then screw direct into the fiberglass? If you do screw direct does this achieve a good fixing for stuff like radios, antenna, rod rests etc. anyone got any advice before I get the drill out?

Chris.

I've a bit of experience with boats so here goes...........well I do work on them;)

It depends where you want to screw. Ooh err! If you are fixing something to the deck of a fibreglass boat just use ss screws, there is 1/2'' of marine ply below the fibreglass floor. If you're fixing to the gunwhale, transom etc you need to use ss bolts and washers. Easy!

Damo

Not fixing to the transom and haven't got a clue what the gunwhale is. I'm fixing a couple of hand rails to the side and can get under so going for nuts and bolts. The radio and compass I can also get behind but was just going to put a baton there to act as support. The antenna I can also get to from underneath so am thinking of a piece of baton behind that as well.

The gunwhales are the 'sides' of the boat. You should be fine just using nuts and bolts if not fixing to the deck, just make sure they are stainless steel so they don't rust. Boats are formed around a plywood hull, the rest is moulded out of fibreglass.

As above ss is a must also you need to use washers or you will find that that any nut or bolts you use will pull through the fibreglass when you tighten them or put a load on the railing. Any wood you use will need to be painted or treated to stop it from rotting. also helps if you spray all bolts, nuts with a silicone lube to stop rusting and make it easier to remove in the future