Reccie in March - places to go, things to do?

guspjmh

Hi all. After temporarily giving up on house selling, we are visiting from 24th March to 9th April. What can we expect in terms of weather?

We already have a few things on the itinerary:

- I'm meeting a recruitment consultant in my field of work

- Have appt to open bank accts

- Going to try to check out schools

- Visit central market

- Visit Barossa

Does anyone have any recommendations of (young kid friendly) restaurants or excursions? Any advice gratefully received!

Gus.

Guest vikkiann

My girls love the indoor play centre at glenelg, I think it's called the beach house. More than just a soft play area, they have loads to do. Urimbirra in victor harbour, the flies are a pain but feeding the kangaroos is something different

Yep, definitely try the beach house at Glenelg. There is also an indoor soft play area called wiggly worms that we spent many an hour at in the past. Cleland wildlife park and Adelaide Zoo are good bets. Also check out Belair national park - there is a very large outdoor play area there. Not sure how toddler friendly it is as mine are older, but there is lots of space to run around anyway. Check out the beach suburbs all the way up the coast from Moana to Semaphore, especially if you're thinking of living near the beach. Forget resturants and either have take away or cook in your accomodation. Cooking will give you more of a taste of what it's like to live and shop here. The only resturant I know that my kids particularly like is Outback Jacks in North Adelaide - they have PS3s for the kids to play on. Might not keep yours happy for long though.

I'd also suggest a trip to the botanic gardens in the city and Mount Lofty botanic gardens. At that time of year there should be some autumn colour around at mount lofty. Have a trip along the river torrens in the city, and possibly have a go on the paddle boats. There are lots of play parks around so check out the ones near where you are staying. We spent a lot of time on our last holiday before moving over throwing a boomerang in a park.

Yep, definitely try the beach house at Glenelg. There is also an indoor soft play area called wiggly worms that we spent many an hour at in the past. Cleland wildlife park and Adelaide Zoo are good bets. Also check out Belair national park - there is a very large outdoor play area there. Not sure how toddler friendly it is as mine are older, but there is lots of space to run around anyway. Check out the beach suburbs all the way up the coast from Moana to Semaphore, especially if you're thinking of living near the beach. Forget resturants and either have take away or cook in your accomodation. Cooking will give you more of a taste of what it's like to live and shop here. The only resturant I know that my kids particularly like is Outback Jacks in North Adelaide - they have PS3s for the kids to play on. Might not keep yours happy for long though.

I'd also suggest a trip to the botanic gardens in the city and Mount Lofty botanic gardens. At that time of year there should be some autumn colour around at mount lofty. Have a trip along the river torrens in the city, and possibly have a go on the paddle boats. There are lots of play parks around so check out the ones near where you are staying. We spent a lot of time on our last holiday before moving over throwing a boomerang in a park.

Thanks for the help.

We want to visit restaurants too, because we do eat out with kids here in the UK quite frequently. We will also be eating in the house often, so will do a bit of both.

Hi Gus, depends on what you want to do. I'm a bit of a home bird and not overly active due to a quad bypass some years ago but............

Sports wise there's every thing from archery to aviation, sailing to scuba diving, from netball to rugby, ice skating and 10 pin bowling.

All sorts of classes are available from painting to IT training.

For the less active, free wine tasting is a favorite of mine (have a nominated driver), so many wineries to visit and open most days.

Don't really know what's available for children but I see them canoeing on the Onkaparinga River. If you can afford it, from the age of 14 they can learn to fly at Aldinga and go solo when they turn 15. Great way to learn discipline, and safer than driving a car.(I'm a pilot although I've let my certificate slip this year)

Amateur theatrics are also available if that stirs your juices.

In short mate, yes there's plenty to do. Just go out and find it.

OOps, just reread you first post. You're only on a reccie so lets shorten the list.

Trial scuba dive on Noarlunga Reef for you.

Children's park as mentioned, plus the Fun house at Glenelg for the kids.

Wine tasting for you.

http://www.theanimalbarn.com.au/ for the kids

If you've money to burn, a romantic evening flight with you partner followed by a candle lit supper.

http://www.adelaidebiplanes.com.au/ you both sit together in the front seats.

Further afield there's a wildlife sanctuary just outside Victor Harbour to the south for the kids and you.

http://www.ozanimals.com/travel/urimbirra-wildlife-park-victor-harbor-south-australia go on to visit V.H. lovely township.

For the kids mainly, http://mvrail.org.au/ lovely park to walk. Also home to r/c car racing, archery and dog training(might be a show day)

That do for starters?

Edited by DougM

Hi Gus, depends on what you want to do. I'm a bit of a home bird and not overly active due to a quad bypass some years ago but............

Sports wise there's every thing from archery to aviation, sailing to scuba diving, from netball to rugby, ice skating and 10 pin bowling.

All sorts of classes are available from painting to IT training.

For the less active, free wine tasting is a favorite of mine (have a nominated driver), so many wineries to visit and open most days.

Don't really know what's available for children but I see them canoeing on the Onkaparinga River. If you can afford it, from the age of 14 they can learn to fly at Aldinga and go solo when they turn 15. Great way to learn discipline, and safer than driving a car.(I'm a pilot although I've let my certificate slip this year)

Amateur theatrics are also available if that stirs your juices.

In short mate, yes there's plenty to do. Just go out and find it.

OOps, just reread you first post. You're only on a reccie so lets shorten the list.

Trial scuba dive on Noarlunga Reef for you.

Children's park as mentioned, plus the Fun house at Glenelg for the kids.

Wine tasting for you.

http://www.theanimalbarn.com.au/ for the kids

If you've money to burn, a romantic evening flight with you partner followed by a candle lit supper.

http://www.adelaidebiplanes.com.au/ you both sit together in the front seats.

Further afield there's a wildlife sanctuary just outside Victor Harbour to the south for the kids and you.

http://www.ozanimals.com/travel/urimbirra-wildlife-park-victor-harbor-south-australia go on to visit V.H. lovely township.

For the kids mainly, http://mvrail.org.au/ lovely park to walk. Also home to r/c car racing, archery and dog training(might be a show day)

That do for starters?

It will indeed! Thanks very much - it's extremely helpful, I can't wait to get there now!

What kind of weather can we expect at the end of March/beginning of April?

What kind of weather can we expect at the end of March/beginning of April?

When we were there that time of year it was about 25C most days, some days it got up to 30C I seem to recall. And lowest was about 21C. Lived in tee shirts, shorts and so on. Was warm enough to go in the water, son to paddle in the pool and so on.