Yayy! About time too....

Diane

Other chains have tried in the past, but whenever land comes up zoned for this type of development Coles and Woolies have jumped the gun, freezing out competitors. For a while we had Franklins selling their no frills items back in the 80s/90s, lasted a few years. I've only been into one Aldi in melbourne and the range for sale wasn't very invigorating , wasn't impressed, maybe it was a small one. Also Aldi does not really support Australian priducers from what I saw anyways.

• 7 months later...
Hurrah! Aldi are coming to SA (well, eventually - sometime in the next decade at least)

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/business/sa-business-journal/discount-supermarket-chain-aldi-to-open-40-stores-across-south-australia/story-e6fredel-1226576224850

Can't wait to pick up a cheap angle-grinder at the same time as my groceries!

I've been to Aldi's new offices today in Kent Town.......

• 6 months later...

ALDI is opening within the next few months on the site of Sams Warehouse in Woodcroft shops. Sams arehouse is shutting down at the beginning of May and is currently selling everything off cheap apparently. I've no idea what an ALDI is like, having lived here for 23 years, but I hope it doesn't knock our lovely Foodland's business off.

As I knew it from Europe Aldi is great and has also Australian wines in its European branches, not only 'full of bogans', even millionaires shop there. What adelaidenow stated is not only completely wrong it's very judgemental. Aldi is in Germany, Austria, Denmark etc.

In Sydney and Melbourne prices have dropped significantly since Aldi joined the supermarket chains, about 5 % and more coles and woolworths went down wherever Aldi is close by.

I'm looking forward to more competition as the big chains here are very boring and I really miss the variety of supermarkets we had in Europe!

Am I missing something? The only Aldi I ever went into (In UK) was dire and full of what we call here Bogans? Me and my wife left without buying anything.

Have they changed?

Must admit it took me a while to try one but I am a convert. They do vary though the one near us was a really good one.

Brilliant deli stuff ang great specials.

Even my snobby foodie friends were converted. And they usually shop at waitrose!

will deffo be checking them out here.

Other chains have tried in the past, but whenever land comes up zoned for this type of development Coles and Woolies have jumped the gun, freezing out competitors. For a while we had Franklins selling their no frills items back in the 80s/90s, lasted a few years. I've only been into one Aldi in melbourne and the range for sale wasn't very invigorating , wasn't impressed, maybe it was a small one. Also Aldi does not really support Australian priducers from what I saw anyways.

Yes hugely. They have re-invented themselves and had a 35% market growth there last year.

I've forgotten to mention that in my opinion Foodland is the best Australian supermarket chain, they have more choices and much more European stuff than Coles and Woolies.

Australian retail doesn't like competition though it would bring many new jobs and lower prices for consumers.