Make a contribution to the forum, before you take, take, take!!!!

Jessica Berry

I am getting frustrated at new members suddenly joining and their first post is either to apply for a job or to try and sell their products or services, without making any previous contribution to this forum. I, along with other regulars, have been offering advice, support and guidance to members for several years now, but come on guys there should be some give and take. I work full time but still make the effort and time to contribute, but it is very disheartening when others do not extend this courtesy and eventually what happens is people give up making the effort to post on the forum.

Edited by Jessica Berry

I think the rules were changed recently to allow this. I can't see any harm in it at all personally. I know I wouldn't be in my job (7 1/2 years now) if it hadn't been for a desperation post on my part in a similar forum.

I have no objection if people continue to make a contribution as you have on this forum, it is when it is a one off post and then no further contributions are made.

Jessica as mentioned the rules have been changed so that people can advertise items for sale. Admin have no problem with this. We have had a number of new members complain recently that they have been attacked by the older members. Just because someone signs up and makes their first post in the for sale section doesn't mean they are totally new to the forum, a lot view as a guest. Yes, obviously I would love for them to stay around and join in the same goes for the older members whose accounts lay dormant.

Jessica as mentioned the rules have been changed so that people can advertise items for sale. Admin have no problem with this. We have had a number of new members complain recently that they have been attacked by the older members. Just because someone signs up and makes their first post in the for sale section doesn't mean they are totally new to the forum, a lot view as a guest. Yes, obviously I would love for them to stay around and join in the same goes for the older members whose accounts lay dormant.

I am not talking about the for sale section, but thank you for the background information.

I know where Jessica is comming from, Some people come on and ask questions that have been asked 100 times if they botherd to think and do a search they would find the answer they are looking for. Once they get there answers to there questions they are never heard of again. I wonder how many account there is and how many have not been used in the last year ???

oh well. It's a service, isn't it? Becomes a social life and a friendship source for some, others visit for information or when they need something. Glad it's here for that. I don't mind helping someone with a recommendation if they post in a hurry because they need a quick bit of advice. maybe they will only come back in 6 months when they need the next thing. I'm just glad there's a place we can find out information in a hurry.

Yes, you see posts that remind you of an old or existing thread. but searching on forums doesn't always work, and if people aren't forum aware, and haven't had much experience hanging around online in forums, they probably won't be able to find them. nothing wrong with saying "hey, yep, absolutely, we answered that question over here" and putting a link to the previous thread. Cos then they'd get their answer, and read a whole lot more if other people had opinions or different recommendations.

I know where Jessica is comming from, Some people come on and ask questions that have been asked 100 times if they botherd to think and do a search they would find the answer they are looking for. Once they get there answers to there questions they are never heard of again. I wonder how many account there is and how many have not been used in the last year ???

Ahh but think about it Ian if they just did a search we wouldn't have a forum :wink:

it is when it is a one off post and then no further contributions are made.

I wonder whether people might be put off if their initial post is met with sarcasm, arguing and a lack of the normal PiA friendliness?

Personally, I don't imagine many of us (myself excluded, for I am an actual saint-under-construction*) come on here purely as an act of altruism. I am guessing we each have our reasons whether to make contacts, find friends, be nosy, to fill in those moments when the tv is particularly boring, sell or get a bargain and so on.

So whether you're going to post once before going back to 'lurking' or become addicted to posting, I say WELCOME :notworthy:

Hugs, flowers, peace and love,

LC

*Thanks to her earlier confession of kindness, Ktee can join me in this catagory :wubclub:

I wonder whether people might be put off if their initial post is met with sarcasm, arguing and a lack of the normal PiA friendliness?

Personally, I don't imagine many of us (myself excluded, for I am an actual saint-under-construction*) come on here purely as an act of altruism. I am guessing we each have our reasons whether to make contacts, find friends, be nosy, to fill in those moments when the tv is particularly boring, sell or get a bargain and so on.

So whether you're going to post once before going back to 'lurking' or become addicted to posting, I say WELCOME :notworthy:

Hugs, flowers, peace and love,

LC

*Thanks to her earlier confession of kindness, Ktee can join me in this catagory :wubclub:

I agree - i first posted on PIA, PIOz to ask about jobs but its grown from there - I think its gr8t to share any knowledge, info and help - and as they say what you give out you get back.................

Guest Ross Dymond

It's the same on every forum. Certain people will sign up just to ask a certain question, or sell a specific item. Who cares....it's their loss if they don't stick around. My forum in the uk was a vehicle owners club and had 30k members, only 3k of which where active. It just happens :)

It's the same on every forum. Certain people will sign up just to ask a certain question, or sell a specific item. Who cares....it's their loss if they don't stick around. My forum in the uk was a vehicle owners club and had 30k members, only 3k of which where active. It just happens :)

Hi Ross

I understand what you are saying, I am not a social media person and a bit old school with it all, so your perspective is a great way to look at it.

I totally agree with you. Although I'm neither a guest nor I contribute much to the threads, but I do follow this forum regularly. It's one of the few things that I'm keen to read morning, day and evening times.

I do enjoy reading all sort of discussions going on here, but maybe it's some people's nature to read more than they write.

Edited by Tarek

The only issue is when there are plenty of people reading and no one is writing, there will be nothing to read! :wink:

You do have a very valid point.

I think people are shy, the same as in real life. Maybe the oldies could partner up with a new member and show them the ropes lol.

Guest Guest5035
Maybe the oldies could partner up with a new member and show them the ropes lol.

mmmm Ktee, with your piccie yesterday and now this, i'm beginning to wonder about you

stevo

I do agree to a large extent.

I am also noticing an increasing number of people who come on, ask advice or a favour and then never respond to their original post let alone continue to contribute.

Over the past 6 months I have offered to help people out several times, and the OP never even appears to return to the post. There was one poster asked for someone to urgently view and give opinion on a rental, I offered to do so on their post, messaged them and still got no response. Hmmm, makes you not bother again. I do have more to do with my days :biglaugh: was just trying to be helpful cos I remember how hard it can be starting out. However, common courtesy, even if it is a no thanks, but thanks for the offer would often be appreciated.

Guest Guest75
I do agree to a large extent.

I am also noticing an increasing number of people who come on, ask advice or a favour and then never respond to their original post let alone continue to contribute.

Over the past 6 months I have offered to help people out several times, and the OP never even appears to return to the post. There was one poster asked for someone to urgently view and give opinion on a rental, I offered to do so on their post, messaged them and still got no response. Hmmm, makes you not bother again. I do have more to do with my days :biglaugh: was just trying to be helpful cos I remember how hard it can be starting out. However, common courtesy, even if it is a no thanks, but thanks for the offer would often be appreciated.

I cannot agree more Foxy!!!.

Not many of us "Oldies" left in here now and to be honest I have had much the same happen to me.

So many trying to get a trip out on our boat / lots of free advice/ heavy discounts on the rentals.

Rarely a word of thanks.

Recently someone said they were going to post a recommendation in here, not seen it yet and I bent over backwards.

Then I receive a nice email/ text / PM now and again,just saying hello or thanks..........:smile:

It's not just online this is happening.

Is it a cultural change????:err:

I was always brought up to say please and thankyou.

Still nice to see people contributing to this thread below......

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/news-gossip/16040-all-who-have-settled-here.html

I totally concur with a lot of what you say Tyke and please and thank yous are in my view very important.

I have certainly noticed as one of the oldies that people nowadays dont seem to post as much once they are here,which is a shame.I think you should put a little back in,but sadly that is the way of the world these days.

Sue

I reckon the 'British' humour is one of sarcasm at lot of times, and if we embrace this, we'll understand some of the comments made on here.

Wait a sec! Was that directed at my post? :shocked: If so, the only sarcastic comment was that I was, "an actual saint-under-construction" fir I am absolutely not (although I do like the idea :wink:)

Basically, I was trying to make two points:

1. Regardless what someone posts as their first post, if it meets the forum criteria, replying in a polite and appropriate manner might encourage them to continue posting.

2. IMHO, people who post do so for a reason. Perhaps I am just being cynical but I truly doubt that any of us have so much time and so little to occupy us that we post purely to help other oeople. Even if people do, then I woud imagine they might feel some feeling of satisfaction / pleasure and that could be seen as 'payment' in itself. Whatever the reason, welcome!

If your comment had nothing to do with my post, then sorry I've gone on (again!).

One thing though....everyone I know uses sarcasm. And they're Australian. Even the kids understand and use it...use it less than understand it, obv.

Hope that made sense this time!

LC