Social Media Be Careful

adelaidenow

I consider myself well educated on the do's and don't of social media, I openly admit to having a laugh, winding people up and laying bait for others to pick up on.

It annoys some but it also adds spice to what could at times be rather boring reading. I am not just talking about this forum BTW.

Anyhow, it has come to my attention in the past week that a person who you think is 'normal' are in fact pretty deranged and in urgent need of medical help, a bizarre accusation against me (not saying it is someone from here or another platform). Luckily I am old enough, wise enough and thick skinned to brush the comments off and not report them to the powers that be.

So what am I rambling on about - simply, be careful and never trust anyone on the web, who you don't actually know.

For those that actually know me, I am not in any way a spiteful person at all. I just appear that way :-)

Sadly social media has brought out the worst in many people, and people you think are a friend are in fact a foe. I

Cheers

Matt

Edited by Diane
keeping it nice!!

Not everybody is what or who they seem, both in life and on forums (forii?). That's one of the reasons we as mods spend a lot of time editing out personal phone numbers and email addresses from posts. And if anyone receives unsolicited advertising through the forum PM system, please let us know as well.

I have trusted a number of people who I have met on the forums and learnt the hard way. I once paid for a families flights to Cairns, gave them free board and lodgings for 12 weeks, lent them one of my cars (including putting fuel in it) for them to decide Australia wasn't for them and I hadn't done enough for them :arghh:

I have trusted a number of people who I have met on the forums and learnt the hard way. I once paid for a families flights to Cairns, gave them free board and lodgings for 12 weeks, lent them one of my cars (including putting fuel in it) for them to decide Australia wasn't for them and I hadn't done enough for them :arghh:

So how did that turn out for you then? :wubclub::wink:

Daniel

Guest guest8040

You have to use your common sense to a certain degree and just be wary. I like reading forums but actually sometimes the contrasting opinions are not what I wanted to read but by then it's too late! This forum (like all others) can be a place that can be very negative I find but can also be brilliant, I'm certain I have 4 good friends waiting for me in Adelaide (who I've got to know better by email, Facebook and Skype) so I'm very thankful for that. However I will always be wary when meeting people for real. My late brother was a member of a football supporters forum for many years and kept a very funny blog called Dull Ramblings on the forum. After a year of his blog running he was diagnosed with terminal cancer and within 8 months he died but blogged almost every day until 3 days before his death. His blog was amazing truthful funny and heart wrenching and the online community raised £20,000 for cancer related charities just before and after he died (they still do a bike ride in his memory 5 years later). We got unbelievable online support as a family and fantastic emails from people. But! One guy put in a lot of work organising bits and pieces and when I met him in real life I just thought he was odd. He went on to steal donated prizes and loan and probably steal money out of the charitable funds. Utter scum, a wolf in sheeps clothing and i was distraught and livid. Another guy also turned out to be a nasty bit of work - both preyed on my vulnerability in grief and my fingers really were burnt in the worse possible way. My brother was a popular poster and they wanted some of his limelight.

So yes beware but also give people the benefit of the doubt, trust your gut and don't believe everything you read on forums they're opinions and you have your own and will make your own. My rule also is to not express on a forum something I would not say in real life to a person, or certainly consider the way I would say it, too many aggressive keyboard warriors on the net IMO and some need to get a real non virtual life!