• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Emotional Rollercoaster

Hallett Cove, SA
      397 times
      Quote Originally Posted by aliogilvie View Post
      Morning all

Well...the day of our emigration is rolling round fast. This weekend has been one of the most exhausting of my life - we moved out of our flat and back in with my parents for the last 3 weeks and have had two leaving meals - both of which I found hugely upsetting.

I am sitting here right now wondering whether we have just taken the most amazing, liberating and exciting decision ever or whether we are utterly mental. I never quite expected to feel so emotionally wrung out by all this - handing the keys on our flat back knocked me for six and if it wasn't for my husband being an absolute rock I think I would have lost my mind.

This forum keeps me grounded with reading about peoples experiences - for better and worse and I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who posts, responds, keeps up the banter and generally makes it feel like a nice place to run to for reassurance.

We fly out in just over 3 weeks time, flying into Melbourne for a friend's wedding then driving the GOR down to Adelaide. Neither of us has a job lined up yet but I am confident we will find something to pay the rent. This last 3 weeks at work is going to be tricky with trying to remain 'engaged' when my mind is absolutely elsewhere. I will no doubt be visiting PIA continuously....

Anyway, off to indulge in one of my Mom's sunday dinners, one of the better elements to living (temporarily) back under the parents roof! Happy Sunday all.

Hey aliogilvie, nearly there now.
      The actual leaving process is emotionally draining, and I'm sure we all remember it well. the really crazy thing, is that that is only the first step!
      I believe that most people who seem to emigrate go through a turbulent 'right of passage' year when they get here too; which does sadly mean some leave wondering why they'd ever commit to such a move...
      The best advice I can give you is to hit the ground running, absolutely determined to make a success of this move. Most people (myself included) are literally pressing the 'reset' button on their finances - we've had to start again with housing, jobs, career (back to the bottom in some cases), crap cars etc...
      It's a very challenging first year. Oz does seem to reward those that work hard (head down, bums up?) and contribute to the country.
      We're eight months in, so I'll probably do an update soon...it's been the most challenging eight months of our lives, it's real hard work (many more hours work than when we were in the UK) but SA in particular has some great opportunities and some wonderful places to visit and lovely residents. We couldn't have got this far without some of the lovely people we've met and have supported us along the way. I already call South Australia home, and that feeling will grow the more we immerse ourselves in the lifestyle.
      snifter, Misplaced and aliogilvie like this.
      IELTS 22.07.2011, AITSL 12.08.2011, SS for SA lodged 15.08.2011, Positive SS 06.10.11, 176 Lodged 7/10/11 Meds completed 10/10/11, Police Checks uploaded 10/10/11. C/O and Grant Received 07/11/2011!!!! IELTS HELP & FREE PAPERS : www.examielts.com

Retired Member
      170 times
      These posts are really keeping me going, this build up to leaving is ghastly. Praying it will all be worth it!
      aliogilvie likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12