New SA Logo - Worth $1.4 Million?

Lazy Cow

"It shows our place in Australia - it is a doorway, it welcomes and it liberates. It is a symbol of how we welcome people into our culture and into the spiritual heartland of South Australia - people of all races, ages and talents.

"It is a symbol of our capacity and willingness to venture far beyond our borders, through our best and brightest people and our best products and ideas."

Said our Premier, last night.

I'm not keen but I love his explanation :goofy:

Don't get me started on this one!

I watched a video of the sound and light unveiling of the logo last night (on the adelaidenow website) and to be honest it made me cringe, it was embarrassing to watch it was so pathetic. It had no obvious meaning or message. I don't know who the target audience is meant to be (maybe 5 year olds?).

It seemed to be a random and disjointed collection of drawn images, with snippets of different pieces of music. A door, a drawing of an eye, some church spires to Harry Potter-ish music, origami birds, clouds, origami sturt desert peas, a cartoon drawing of a fat animal in a top hat crossing the road with whimsical music(?), a crane, some skyscrapers to techno-ish music, some lines of different colours, someone on a unicycle going up a tightrope, a ferris wheel, a boy blowing out a flame and the building melting like wax (the only interesting bit), some bouncing lights in state colours looking like a graphic equaliser from a 1980s hifi moving up and down to dance music, then the image collapses, a blue wave appears, then a red wave with a floating wine glass, then different coloured liquids fold up into pieces of paper, then the red logo appears.

For god's sake, how totally pointless. And what a total waste of $1.4 million.

As for the logo itself, well.. just read the comments on the website. A housing association logo is a popular interpretation, also someone said it was like The Block logo. The door opens on to a void, maybe if it was half open and promising something interesting behind it would be better. :arghh:

OK, I agree with Tyke in that it makes Australia in general look like a piece of folded paper BUT, to him and all others, remember that this isn't aimed at you who already reside here. It's aimed at the millions of potential visitors and business people who are looking for something better than what they've got in their home country. $1.4 million is a small price to pay for the future of our country and South Australia needs to be their first stop. Hence the open door.

How many of you would be here if that door was closed? Think about it.

This one was on the South Aussie with Cosi facebook page. Much better, it even has Tasmania.

ad.jpg

I have no problem with having a logo to sell SA overseas with, I just think this one is poor, although I did see some pictures where the shape of Australia is a photo (say of the Flinders Ranges or Kangaroo Island) with the door still there, now that did look better.

But the launch video, you really should watch it, it is so awful and amateurish. It certainly wouldn't ignite any spark of interest in anyone as nobody would have a bloody clue what it was all about!

That kind of logo has been done to death and therefore seems dated, but even if it was new and original, I'd still find it banal. The choice of colours and the lack of any vibrant or dynamic elements suggest once more that SA simply doesn't 'get it'.

Even if it looked good, the message it seeks to convey simply doesn't match the reality. This is what the official Brand South Australia website says: 'The first thing to know about making a great brand is that it has to ring true. It has to feel like it naturally belongs and fits with what it symbolises... Our new brandmark clearly demonstrates we are the central doorway to the whole of the country... The pivotal state. The hub.' That's simply cobblers.

SA has amongst the lowest visitor numbers in Australia. Even by SA Gov's own figures (which are treated to a massage worthy of the best spa resort), last year just 6% of international visitors to Australia spent time in SA. Many of these didn't spend the night here (just 4.7% of total nights spent by international visitors to Australia happened here). International visitor numbers were more than 10% lower last year than in 2011.

When it comes to people from interstate visiting here, SA’s share of visitors last year was just 7.6% and overnight stays was 7%.

Against a backdrop of other airports experiencing growth (for example, Perth Airport, which already handles far more passengers than Adelaide, grew by 11.5% last year), Adelaide Airport numbers were lower last year than 2011.

The Productivity Commission forecasts that by 2030 Adelaide Airport's slow growth will mean it handles fewer passengers than Brisbane Airport handles now (Brisbane, on the other hand, is expected to add more than 30 million passenger movements per year by that time – yet still lag behind Sydney and Melbourne). This suggests that while at the moment Adelaide Airport accounts for around 9% of Australian airport passenger movements, by 2030 it will handle just 6.5%.

Far more concentration should go to selling the place to businesses and developing reasons to come here. Developing a new brand is an easy way to spend money; it suggests progress is being made but actually doesn't tackle the hard work that needs to be done.

The only basis on which a doorway for a brand is appropriate is in regard to SA losing a higher percentage of its migrants and its young people to other states. The few people who do find themselves here all too often 'pass through' on their way to somewhere else. What SA should be, though, is a destination - that requires far more work than embarking on this type of exercise.

Presenting the state as something it isn't, and is unlikely ever to be, is simply wishful thinking and absolutely not something that 'rings true'.

Edited by jim and adel

Guest Guest75
:biggrin: That one probably is more relevant to SA ...Anne B - it has a true SA Icon on it.....and look it even has the doors.....that Cossie is a real character

I have a way with words, not always a good one though!!!!!:biglaugh::biglaugh:

My fav was the FUIC one too, Anne B, but I also like the way the Adelaide Memes page (fb) is using it as a Pope's hat - which is also how Wil (my hero) Anderson referred to it.

Some, more cynical, people commented that the $1.4 million would have been better spent on our hospitals. Or schools. Or .....

Some logos are such epic fails it reminds me of 'The Emperor's New Clothes' because surely someone could've, , said, "No, this is not good and SA will be laughed at!" (Except SA won't be laughed at by Victoria and Queensland, among others, because they've had epic fails of their own.)

Sigh.

LC:cool: