IT IS BLOODY LOVELY.....1 Year Here :-)

star123

We touched down just over a year ago.....6 little munchkins...me....husband.....16 suitcases...10 hand luggage...and a bike, pushchair and surf board...

We have had a hard hard first year, everything that could have been thrown at us was....within 3 weeks of arriving daughter had a big huge surf accident and lost alot of teeth, damaged jaw etc, still seeing the ortho and dentist but she nearly back to normal...well as normal as she every was :biglaugh:

We settled in the Western Subs, husbands work was up that way, but after a few months realised it was not for us, so moved down south, less busy, fab beaches etc etc and all was well in the land of Us :-) Then one of my older children decided Australia was not for him and wanted to return to the Uk, then husband lost his job...I had an accident.....we were literatly down to our last $10 and that is NO exaggeration....both cars broke and died....I hit a car (no insurance), had trouble with agent who would not release our bond money...everything that could go wrong went wrong...it was a hard, lonely time, when things go wrong here they really seem to go wrong...we realised we could either sink or swim here...so we took a step back...took a deep long breath and as a family we got back up....

I found a job, husband found a job, moved to a cheaper rental....moved kids to a new fabulous school...got the cars fixed and stocked up the pantry....

We are now after a year and a month...finally relaxing....we are now finally settling....kids all happy and healthy...my child did return to the Uk which is heartbreaking but he WILL be back, that i am sure of... It has been hard, but My God, I look around me and I am so appreciative to be here, I LOVE this place, love everything about it....it has been a challenge this journey of ours BUT we have done it....we have embraced the Australian way of life and would not change a thing about it....

To all those that are in this adventure, whether at the beginning or in the middle.....keep going, realise what you have been given and whatever S*** hits the Fan, you can pick yourself up and go forward.....this is not paradise....its life...with the usual ups and downs but with determination, willpower and a smile on your face....you can achieve that personal dream and in our own little way...it is paradise:biggrin:

Guest Guest75

What a smashing and eloquent post!!:biggrin:

Very inspirational for those just thinking of making the journey or having "wobble"

You have gone through the wringer by the looks of it - but come out a better person :jiggy:

Gold star or whatever this forum now gives out for a great post:notworthy:

What a smashing and eloquent post!!:biggrin:

Very inspirational for those just thinking of making the journey or having "wobble"

You have gone through the wringer by the looks of it - but come out a better person :jiggy:

Gold star or whatever this forum now gives out for a great post:notworthy:

Why...thank you :-) we now off to the beach for the day...........you kinda cannot miss us on the beach....looks like a school trip out.... :-) :-)

Congratulations on your 1st yr.Know exactly how you feel ,but at the end of the day we love Adelaide and have met so many kind and wonderful people here.

Hope life gets easier and less stressed for you all.

I am sure your story will bring hope to those struggling that it will get better.

Enjoy the beach.

Sue

It has been hard, but My God, I look around me and I am so appreciative to be here, I LOVE this place, love everything about it....it has been a challenge this journey of ours BUT we have done it....we have embraced the Australian way of life and would not change a thing about it....

To all those that are in this adventure, whether at the beginning or in the middle.....keep going, realise what you have been given and whatever S*** hits the Fan, you can pick yourself up and go forward.....this is not paradise....its life...with the usual ups and downs but with determination, willpower and a smile on your face....you can achieve that personal dream and in our own little way...it is paradise:biggrin:

I love your post and it kind of mirrors below what I put on another thread.....

I personally still think living in Adelaide is a great choice and it has a lot to offer people, but if people think the minute they land in Adelaide they will be living the dream, they may be in for a shock, but then it depends what is your dream? There are many of us that make a success of it, but then there are also many that go back and are never heard from again. The people that can adapt to change and setbacks will do well.

You certainly have adapted to some changes and had your fair share of setbacks like a lot of us do, but the key is whether you choose to push on or not.

Hi Star123

lovely post. were waiting for our visa. medicals passed, CRB done now waiting......

were are you living and what school do your children go to.

your one strong family. congratulations on your 1st year.

thanks for being so open and honest.

kath x

hi, we are living in the beautiful Moana, its simply gorgeous here, lovely friendly people, an awesome beach and my little children go to Moana primary, which is a bloody fantastic school!! cannot rate it enough, fab teachers, great kids and high teaching standards - good luck with the rest of your visa process, you be here before you know it!! anything you wanna know just give us a shout, happy to help in any way x

Guest missy
We touched down just over a year ago.....6 little munchkins...me....husband.....16 suitcases...10 hand luggage...and a bike, pushchair and surf board...

We have had a hard hard first year, everything that could have been thrown at us was....within 3 weeks of arriving daughter had a big huge surf accident and lost alot of teeth, damaged jaw etc, still seeing the ortho and dentist but she nearly back to normal...well as normal as she every was :biglaugh:

We settled in the Western Subs, husbands work was up that way, but after a few months realised it was not for us, so moved down south, less busy, fab beaches etc etc and all was well in the land of Us :-) Then one of my older children decided Australia was not for him and wanted to return to the Uk, then husband lost his job...I had an accident.....we were literatly down to our last $10 and that is NO exaggeration....both cars broke and died....I hit a car (no insurance), had trouble with agent who would not release our bond money...everything that could go wrong went wrong...it was a hard, lonely time, when things go wrong here they really seem to go wrong...we realised we could either sink or swim here...so we took a step back...took a deep long breath and as a family we got back up....

I found a job, husband found a job, moved to a cheaper rental....moved kids to a new fabulous school...got the cars fixed and stocked up the pantry....

We are now after a year and a month...finally relaxing....we are now finally settling....kids all happy and healthy...my child did return to the Uk which is heartbreaking but he WILL be back, that i am sure of... It has been hard, but My God, I look around me and I am so appreciative to be here, I LOVE this place, love everything about it....it has been a challenge this journey of ours BUT we have done it....we have embraced the Australian way of life and would not change a thing about it....

Glad to hear things are now going well for you, thanks for sharing :)

Guest Adelaide_bound

Thank you SO SO SO much for this post - we are in a bit of a pickle ourselves (mainly our own silly doing, but there you go), and whilst its never nice to hear of others misfortune, to hear how it was all ok is a bit of a light at the end of the tunnel that we need right now - I know things will sort out for us and be ok, but its a bit of a worry when its all up in the air, isn't it? :)

Thank you once again for sharing, and hope that karma only gives you lovely things from now on :D

AB

Wow, such determination. So glad to kept going and have out the other side so much stronger - what an inspiration to all who have 'wobbles and doubts'!

Just back from Moana - went down there at 5.00 for a picnic supper and swim - stayed till the sun went down. What a wonderful place to live.

Brilliant. Good luck to you all.

Thank you SO SO SO much for this post - we are in a bit of a pickle ourselves (mainly our own silly doing, but there you go), and whilst its never nice to hear of others misfortune, to hear how it was all ok is a bit of a light at the end of the tunnel that we need right now - I know things will sort out for us and be ok, but its a bit of a worry when its all up in the air, isn't it? :)

Thank you once again for sharing, and hope that karma only gives you lovely things from now on :D

AB

hi :-) hope things get better for you all, if you ever need to off load just shout!! knowing someone else been there and

got the rosette sometimes helps!! i always say to people when they having a bad time, just look at us we were at rock bottom

but got back up so if we can, all 8 of us,anyone can!! sending happy smiley vibes your way ;-)

Star123, I have such admiration for you and your family - just caught one of your happy smiley vibes ;).

We have been here 6 weeks and there have been some obstacles and difficult days. I think you are made of strong stuff and you remind me that you can either get on with it and be positive or complain.

I'm with you - chin up, make things work and believe!

Moana is such a beautiful place, I can understand why you have settled there - we too love the south and have settled in Port Noarlunga.

Karen

Star123, I have such admiration for you and your family - just caught one of your happy smiley vibes ;).

We have been here 6 weeks and there have been some obstacles and difficult days. I think you are made of strong stuff and you remind me that you can either get on with it and be positive or complain.

I'm with you - chin up, make things work and believe!

Moana is such a beautiful place, I can understand why you have settled there - we too love the south and have settled in Port Noarlunga.

Karen

Hi - thanks :-)

Port noarlunga is lovely too, we love fishing off the jetty and kids are into jumping off...I do not look at that bit :-)

great fish and chips down there too.......

6 weeks....not long and you have had fabulous weather, hot today!! Give us a shout if you wanna grab a coffee at the lovely Becks Bakehouse in Port Noarlunga...always up for a latte and a sticky bun......

Guest Nicky&Andy

i think moving here is such a big thing and we all want it too be rosy its not always easy but when its good it is bloody good , i think more people hit bad times but its the english way in most of us that dont let on , (weve been there too )

its so great to hear the real storey, when you hit bottom things can only get better , and what a beautiful place to keep trying , i loved reading your post , its nice to know and great to hear your now settling, xx

Guest simpsona

Hi, new on here but loved that post!! We are hoping to move out early next year and that post sounds just like a year in the Simpson house lol! Nothing happens to us by half and if it's gonna happen to anyone it's usually us!! So not expecting an easy ride when we jump! Me, hubs, 3 kids and a pooch, throw Aspergers & ADHD into the mix and it's a bit of a mad outing wherever we are! Looking forward to a slower pace of life for sure! xx:wacko:

I been reading a lot of post recently but I have to say this has to be one of the most heart warming post I have ever looked at. We are in the final 4 weeks of getting everything sorted for the final push to move out to Adelaide. We have soooo much to do in soooo little time and my head is spinning. But reading this post has really made my day.

Thank you and good luck to you all as a family and for the future.