Aussie Rules

Seipeal1

Hi all,

Had a great night at AAMI tonight with my 5 year old daughter at the footie. Cheap season tickets, free transport to and from stadium. Face painting, balloon making, bouncy castles. Lots to interest the kids. Then the footie. We have always loved it. Great night out for the family, in my opinion. Yes, I got an interest in the game originally from my interest in Gaelic Football in Ireland but I have also been a season ticket holder with a premiership team for years and this experience is much more pleasant and reasonably priced. Yes, they do rip you off for food and drink in the outlets inside the stadium but bringing your own snacks and drinks diffuse this.

I know there is a perception that the Aussie game does not compare well with Soccer but I highly recommend it as a really good family day out. Daughter fell happily asleep in my arms on the bus home at 23.45 tonight! Although her mum was not happy at this!

Any opinions?

Bloody Oath, I agree 100%.

The main point I am trying to make is that families from UK and Ireland can get to enjoy Aussie rules Football. There is no taboo there that we perceive there is. It is a fantastic day out and you can really get into it if you have an open mind... In my opinion.

QUOTE=scooterdan;257407]JUst a shame the Crows lost!!!

I agree with Seipeal, it's a great game which attracts a great crowd wih a fantastic atmosphere and very family friendly except, perhaps, the night games which can be a bit late and lead to grumpybum kids on the way home!

I wasn't a fan of soccer and initially fought any interest in footy until my son started barracking for West Coast. He decided I should take him to an Eagles/ Crows game and I became hooked.

I loved taking the kids (plus a friend each) as it's such good fun and cheap too! Kids tickets are around $2.50 each although it's been a while since I've bought them as my kids are no longer eligible - although they never questioned the kids' ages even when my son was a ruckman and pretty tall!

It's lovely to see the Auskick kids come out at half-time, even better when one of them's yours!

All in all, I'd say give it a go. Try to get a feel for the game before you go,then take rugs, flasks, chips and lollies, scarves etc and have a great, cheap time. And if you go early enough, you might even find a free park!

LC

PS. The Crows really let themselves down with their midfield and the Bombers were ready for them. Grr!

Please explain why. I said the game is OK and the atmosphere is rubbish. Not sure what the point of your post was TBH.

The way I read it - is if you don't enjoy the atmosphere then you can always do some gardening while listening to the game on the radio - I think the OP is just trying to be helpful.

Crows v port, I was told to experience an atmosphere like i had never witnessed.

At HT I said where was the atmosphere.....

Australians are much quieter at sporting venues than Europeans.

I have been to quite a few games BTW

Ahhh - I think I am getting the gist of what you are saying....being Aussie born and having lived here for quite a long time we were shocked and horrified by the goings on in Europe and the UK at these "games" sounded like a war more like it.....wikepedia has a whole thing about it - called hooliganism in footbal..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_hooliganism I guess if you are used to that you would find the Aussie games a bit tame.

Soccer in Australia also has problems with violence and hooliganism

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/news-display/violence-shocks-a-league-boss/63299

http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/sport/other-sports/news/football-federation-australia-condemns-soccer-violence-after-hooligans-terrorise-patrons-at-sydney-fc-western-wanderers-a-league-derby/

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/football/fan-group-denies-a-role-in-violence/story-fn63e0vj-1226607148314

and I tend to agree with Adelaidenow about the lack of atmosphere at AFL games - it's a good day out (if a bit long) but nothing to compare with a premier league game. I can't stand the booing either.

I think the OP described it perfectly, took their 5 year old, bouncy castles, face painting. Aussie Rules is a great family day out. You can park up in the car park, BBQ lunch from the boot of the car, bottle wine, kick about with the kids.

If you try to compare it to Football it will always seem lame for atmosphere, as football is a primarily a working mans sport, meet mates in the pub near the ground, walk up to the stadium chanting, quick beer before taking seats and then sing for 90 minutes with your mates. A lot of people still see the hooliganism, but I see the banter between fans. Sometimes it's really clever, and somehow someone got 20,000 fans to sing their chant. I know you can go to football as a family, but families are not the majority of the fans. It's probably to expensive to take the whole family as well.

My only complaint about Aussie rules at the stadium, is I end up watching it on the screen as the action always seems to be in the opposite corner. And if i'm going to watch the screen, I may as well watch in the pub or at home. I still go to a couple of matches a season though as I like sport in general.

I do have 1 more complaint though about AFL, Tuesday nights news, no matches were played day before, no matches are going to be played the next day, but still seemed to take 15 mins of the 30 min news show to tell me who trained, who didn't. Even the World Cup qualifier for Australia barely got a mention. Seems bias to me.

Ahhh - I think I am getting the gist of what you are saying....being Aussie born and having lived here for quite a long time we were shocked and horrified by the goings on in Europe and the UK at these "games" sounded like a war more like it.....wikepedia has a whole thing about it - called hooliganism in footbal..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_hooliganism I guess if you are used to that you would find the Aussie games a bit tame.

Good try at a wind up.

Football in the UK is so sanitised these days, or are you living in the 70s still?

I went to over 100 game sand never got involved in any violence, if you wanted it you found it.

Guest Guest5035
I also think that the Australian football games are violent.

firstly i loved soccer back in the uk when soccer players played soccer, not like some of the fairies/prima donnas these days, still have a nosy at my old team, secondly, the footie here is for tough guys, watch it at grass roots to appreciate it more, they are not violent, might seem it to a "novice" though.

stevo

[quote name=lynsteve;257754 the footie here is for tough guys' date=' watch it at grass roots to appreciate it more, they are not violent, might seem it to a "novice" though.

stevo[/quote]

I admit that I am a novice stevo but one person's perception of "tough guys" is just an unrealistic view on what it is. Bashing someone, kicking them and king hitting each other both from the players to each other and even the spectators to umpires, this is violence. Your perception is not real. There are court cases involved when it gets really "tough"

I think the OP described it perfectly, took their 5 year old, bouncy castles, face painting. Aussie Rules is a great family day out. You can park up in the car park, BBQ lunch from the boot of the car, bottle wine, kick about with the kids.

If you try to compare it to Football it will always seem lame for atmosphere, as football is a primarily a working mans sport, meet mates in the pub near the ground, walk up to the stadium chanting, quick beer before taking seats and then sing for 90 minutes with your mates. A lot of people still see the hooliganism, but I see the banter between fans. Sometimes it's really clever, and somehow someone got 20,000 fans to sing their chant. I know you can go to football as a family, but families are not the majority of the fans. It's probably to expensive to take the whole family as well.

My only complaint about Aussie rules at the stadium, is I end up watching it on the screen as the action always seems to be in the opposite corner. And if i'm going to watch the screen, I may as well watch in the pub or at home. I still go to a couple of matches a season though as I like sport in general.

I do have 1 more complaint though about AFL, Tuesday nights news, no matches were played day before, no matches are going to be played the next day, but still seemed to take 15 mins of the 30 min news show to tell me who trained, who didn't. Even the World Cup qualifier for Australia barely got a mention. Seems bias to me.

Good summary Rob.

Listen guys, I did not want to get into the whole debate of soccer V Footy. I have done the whole season ticket piece for years inNorth London. I was just making the point that, as a father, it is a great pleasure to take my young daughter to the footy. It is a pleasure I do not believe I could experience in the UK at soccer, in my opinion. No, the atmosphere is not good compared with soccer but it is SAFE compared to going to soccer matches in the UK and, having watched Arsenal for donkeys years in North London, I cannot be persuaded that the chanting was ever so much more unique or loud in the first place!!!!

Adelaideone, everybody to their own. I respect your opinion and will still go regardless of it!

I also appreciated AussieRob's explanation :)

It was nice to, perhaps, understand where Adelaidenow was coming from. I have no experience of soccer, here or in the UK (other than when my tiny son tried it!).

I do love the footie here though and I truly never expected to. I love going to games whether SANFL or AFL but at least now I can understand what the difference in atmosphere might be, thanks to AussieRob.

I could be wrong but I don't think Stevo was talking about actual violence between players and of course further action should be taken if this should occur. I think it's more the appearance of the game as there's so much contact between players, something that I don't think happens in soccer?

LC

Guest Guest5035

I don't think Stevo was talking about actual violence between players LC

Someone undestands me woo hoo..

stevo

It was nice to, perhaps, understand where Adelaidenow was coming from. I have no experience of soccer, here or in the UK (other than when my tiny son tried it!).

I do love the footie here though and I truly never expected to. I love going to games whether SANFL or AFL but at least now I can understand what the difference in atmosphere might be, thanks to AussieRob.

I could be wrong but I don't think Stevo was talking about actual violence between players and of course further action should be taken if this should occur. I think it's more the appearance of the game as there's so much contact between players, something that I don't think happens in soccer?

LC

Football in the UK (soccer) is safe.

Completely different cultures and hence a totally different sporting experience.

While I missed the nonsense that went on the 70s I started going to footie during the soccer casual era. Exciting, scary and (looking back) downright daft. majority of UK stadiums these days are way more sanitised and due to ticket prices a lot of the hools who used to go are priced out. In fact can you really call it a working mans sport these days?

I digress. Point is if I was taking two young kids to a sporting event I would be way more comfortable taking them to an AFL game than Hibs v Aberdeen circa 1987 :policeman: