Plasterers replies please

Guest caoimhe

Guest caoimhe

Hi

I know a few on here are Plasterers and was wondering for a bit of advice

Could any of you tell me how much a plasterer charges per Sq Metre, just had a quote here in NI and wanted to check if it was reasonable as I have no idea:nah:

Am trying to get house ready for sale and am quickly running out of money:arghh:

Thanks all

Guest BAZnDAF

Well, i used to be a plasterer, many moons ago, not really sure what the going rate is anymore, as i always do my own (just replastered my whole house).

are you having the whole rooms done? or is it patching work? is it just re-skimming? or are they taking it back to brickwork? if so is it being dry lined? or sand & cement? depending on these would depend on cost!

sry, i have probably made a bad problem worse!

If its cheap you want, maybe just a thick wallpaper???

Baz.

http://baz-roberts.blogspot.com/

Guest louiesmum

Hi

My brother who's a plasterer says it really depends on what needs doing whether walls need repairing etc he also says in private homes you don't normally get quotes per sq metre they price job as a whole, he also said without seeing the work its difficult to give a definate answer, he suggested getting a few quotes as that might help. Hope this is of some help. Hope it goes well

Guest caoimhe

Thanks for the replies guys

When I took the wallpaper off the walls a load of plaster came off too, then another wall needs re-skimmed as the old fireplace was a long brick one and was replaced with a smaller fireplace, it looks like the plaster was put on with a spoon :arghh:

The whole walls are a mess and I am fed up with the whole thing, probably 'cause my heart is no longer in the house and I just want to get to Adelaide

My worry is there are 40 other houses on the market within my area and all of them are the same as ours, so need our's to look amazing so someone will ignore all the others and buy this one quickly :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Guest the4hopes

Hi,

I do the quotes for my husband he's a plasterer.

I base some quotes on £10 per sq m, then add or take money off if its fiddly or straightforward. If its an average size room, to repair areas then skim walls and ceiling it would be about £500.We do not charge per sq m.

Laura

Guest BAZnDAF

Assuming that the rest of the walls and ceiling are sound and only need a reskim it would take 1-2 days depending on how many hours the plasterer puts in each day, i have done a full bedroom including the ceiling in a day but thats a long day trust me.

and theres the other problem, if the plaster is comming off just by taking the wallpaper off then chances are there will be quite a few patches. The problem comes when the backing plaster is loose, as you need to keep cutting it back until you get to solid plaster, and this can create some large areas. When I was doing my own house I had instances where I ended up with just a small patch off plaster left ON the wall, personaly I find it easier if 80% of the wall is back to brick then just remove the rest.

Now to really cut the cost, do it your self! costs around £4 a bag of plaster (multi finish) and have a go. you will need to use a PVA bonding adhesive on the old plaster first though to seal it and give it a key.

Shame you don't live closer

Guest caoimhe

Now to really cut the cost, do it your self! costs around £4 a bag of plaster (multi finish) and have a go. you will need to use a PVA bonding adhesive on the old plaster first though to seal it and give it a key.

Stephen just fell about laughing at the thought of that, trust me any sort of DIY is NOT his forte:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Think this guy is doing us a good deal, £7 per sq mt and we supply the stuff

Guest BAZnDAF

Sounds like 2 - 3 days work if its just patching and re-skimming it all, and your buying the materials too. hmmm, good money for a plasterer, if it takes 3 days and he pays a labourer then it sounds ok, I have a feeling he won't have a labourer as I never used them on re-skimming.

• 2 years later...