Adelaide Parkland

noworriesmate

I'm interested to know opinions on the Parkland around the CBD. Since being here i've heard people say it's what makes Adelaide stand out from other cities but i've also heard an economic argument saying it is restricting growth of the city (and therefore employment and prosperity). I can see both sides to this but must admit to wondering whether it is ALL needed - there is an awful lot of it which hardly seems to be used (I mean even people walking on it). When I go to Melbourne I love what they have made of the area around the river - cafe's boutique shops etc. Sydney has Darling Harbour etc but Adelaide seems to be distinctly lacking the kind of thing that brings people to the city although maybe the Oval improvements might be the start of something?. Don't get me wrong, I love Adelaide and like the fact it's not like other cities, but i'm not certain we have the balance totally right at the moment.

​Thoughts Anyone??

The oval redevelopment will hopefully bring life to the river bank when that's all finished.... I can't wait to watch footy in the city then head for a couple of beers somewhere!

As or the other parklands, most of it seems under used and I've hardly seen anyone walking through them! I think a bit of encroaching on them wouldn't hurt anyone and would bring some life to them!

Although the 'no change society' and tree huggers would stop it anyways!!

I quite like the parks although they are pretty under-utilized (apart from the one nearest us which is constantly a building site either putting up or taking down the Clipsal stuff!) I think they do a good job of delineating the city centre - after all, plenty of room to expand upwards at the moment - as otherwise it would just turn into a never ending sprawl as is happening to some of the outer suburbs. Some of the areas of the parklands are used well - various festivals (Schuetzenfest, Glendi, Mela, Cheesefest etc) and there are some fantastic sports grounds (tennis, netball, football etc) plus the other big annual events (Clipsal, Garden of Unearthly Delights, International Cross Country for example)... but some bits seem to be better used than others.

Has anyone been to any of the recently introduced Adelaide Night Markets? I have always thought that the riverbank areas are ideal for this on summer evenings...

The oval redevelopment will hopefully bring life to the river bank when that's all finished.... I can't wait to watch footy in the city then head for a couple of beers somewhere!

As or the other parklands, most of it seems under used and I've hardly seen anyone walking through them! I think a bit of encroaching on them wouldn't hurt anyone and would bring some life to them!

Although the 'no change society' and tree huggers would stop it anyways!!

Adelaide is a great place to live but I do think that those in power are resting on their laurels sometimes. I think Adelaide is more British than the UK with it's politics and red-tape and resistance to change.

NWM

The parklands have been whittled away over the years - look at any old street atlas and you'll see how far they used to extend. They don't need to be reduced any further, they simply need to be used. They're in desperate need of a makeover, with more imaginative planting, pathways and trails that lead to features, half a dozen kiosks scattered around, etc. Now that recycled water is pumped to the parklands the old excuse about not planting flowerbeds has gone. This would stop some parts from being the no-go zone that they currently are.

The cbd itself is massively underutilised (pretty much everywhere west of Morphett St is an embarrassment), the road, tram and railway infrastructure is in place, so there's no requirement to squeeze the parklands further.

As for bureaucracy, if anyone's surprised at that they've simply not done their homework; Australia has often jokingly been called a land of blue skies and red tape. This is the one thing Adelaide leads the country on.

Guest Rosy

I think the parklands would make more sense if more people lived in the areas on the city fringe. Yes, our parklands do seem a bit big and empty currently, but imagine them as the 'backyard' of a thriving city fringe population. I think it's a lovely idea - the parklands could really come into their own a useful asset and it would give a great vibe to Adelaide having these large parks filled with people enjoying the outdoors.

The state government's "30 Year Plan" wants to increase density on the city fringe and I really support the idea. As far as I know councils such as Unley are on board with the idea of increasing population density by creating apartment complexes along the more major transport corridors in the area. But last I heard there are a fair number of residents who are wary of this kind of development. I hope they reach an agreement that does not kill this idea because I think, done well, it could be terrific for Adelaide.

Guest Guest75

I really don't think they need to be reduced further.

They are part of the city's charm and once gone - it's forever!

They remind me just a little of Harrogate in Yorkshire.

If you look around the CBD inside the parklands there are blocks that could definitely be redeveloped to make better use of the square meters!

I love the parklands at least a new sport cyclo cross is using some of them. Think it would be nice if they were used more often easier to use for public event's without the red tape that probably prevents a lot of ideas happening.

People should just get out there and use them :-)