The 'I No Longer.....' Thread :)

Lazy Cow

I have just been looking round Poms in Oz and I noticed that there seem to be quite a few fun threads, so here's my attempt!

When we first came here, I was struck by how large the sky is so I will start with:

I no longer notice how amazingly wide the sky is.

I am no longer surprised by seeing budgies on the oval, koalas in my yard, the blue tongues that are so often under my bin, the possums running over the dust-gathering Beetle in the garage etc etc

Anyone else?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Claire-n-tel

I no longer.....

find it weird to eat dinner out by 7pm.......

am surprised to see dogs in cafes.....

wear shorts and tshirts when the weather hits 20c......

spend more time indoors than out......

say i am 'going home' when visiting the uk, i am home :biggrin:

Guest Claire-n-tel

Tel wants to add....i no longer find it weird to see people in the supermarket in bare feet! (i think that was more from living in the NT!)

I no longer:

think Adelaide is warm, I now look forward to the day I can retire to far north queensland, then I can complain about the rain instead.

think a commodore / falcon are big cars, they are perfectly sized for a single person to drive around in economically.

I no longer think of a three, four or five hour plus hour drive as 'a long way' - or worth stopping for a break unless really needed

I no longer think there's anything fancy about starting a meal with a plate of oysters, even in a pub or average cafe

I no longer think it's weird or false for a stranger or shop assistant to smile, say hi and ask me how I am - indeed I now find it rude and strange in the UK when I'm ignored or greeted with a curt 'what can I get you' in a pub

I no longer carry an umbrella in my bag for 9 months of the year!

I no longer think of an 8-9 hour flight to Asia as a long flight - instead it's a 'quick break' - perfectly worth it for a week's break

I no longer bother trying to find good Indian curry - unless I'm back in the UK!

I no longer rely on ready meals for a couple of nights a week - instead embracing the fresh food here and trying new ingredients

I no longer do my weekly shop at one supermarket - I love exploring the markets, amazing fruit and veg shops and organic/health food shops (though I still haven't got over price hikes for a few things!)

I no longer feel guilty about 'sitting indoors on such a nice day' - chances are, tomorrow will be just as pleasant

I no longer consider 18 degrees to be a warm summer's day (I say sat in the office in a scarf, cardi and winter boots)

However, I still smile to myself when I see a flock of parrots swoop past, when I drive down a road lined with palm trees and when I walk home from work along the beach.

I no longer feel the need to get dressed before collecting the mail (actually I no longer think it's strange having to go outside to collect my mail)

I no longer think it's strange to hear minor birds mimicking other sounds outside

I no longer think air conditioning is a luxury

I no longer think that being able to build a house is a pipe dream

I no longer think $20 is too much to pay for a bottle of wine

I no longer get confused when I read "bring a plate" on an invite

I no longer have to ask what parmigiana is

I no longer get cross when I order a pint see that it 'isn't'

I no longer throw away my cans and bottles

I no longer buy my petrol on any day I want

NWM

Yes, but here the sun goes from right to left (anti-clockwise), and there it goes from left to right (clockwise) .......if you get what I'm saying.... So if clocks had been invented in the southern hemisphere, would they go anti-clockwise ?????

Edited by Anne B

Where is right and where is left, are you looking north or south, and the sun does not move relative to this planet so it goes neither clockwise or anti clock wise. and NO! it would still be clockwise wherever the clock was invented (think about it!).

No doubt some deeper thinking on this matter will follow soon, whatch this space, any how what is space?

Guest Guest12727

me thinks you would have to be upside down!

I no longer expect to go to work and come home in the dark in winter. It is great to see the sun on most days of the year.

Edited by Guest12727

Yes, but here the sun goes from right to left (anti-clockwise), and there it goes from left to right (clockwise) .......if you get what I'm saying.... So if clocks had been invented in the southern hemisphere, would they go anti-clockwise ?????

I think it all goes the same way, however both the sun and the moon are upside down relative to viewing them from the Northern Hemisphere. Not that you can tell with the sun....or at least, not without burning your eyes out.

Where is right and where is left, are you looking north or south, and the sun does not move relative to this planet so it goes neither clockwise or anti clock wise. and NO! it would still be clockwise wherever the clock was invented (think about it!).

No doubt some deeper thinking on this matter will follow soon, whatch this space, any how what is space?

Obviously the sun doesn't change position (over the equator) but my position as observer relative to the sun has changed.

Looking at the sun from the northern hemisphere the sun is in the south. Facing south, it rises in the east (my left), passing through SE S SW then sets in the west (my right). It therefore appears to have moved from left to right.

In the southern hemisphere I have to face north to see the sun. Facing north, it rises in the east (my right), passing through NE N NW then sets in the west (my left). It therefore appears to have moved from right to left.

On the equator the sun rises and goes straight up in the sky, not an an angle left or right - then at noon it is dead overhead. Really weird!

lol great post!!

I no longer look for beer in the supermarket

I no longer buy petrol unless there is at least 4c off

I no longer find raisin toast a treat but a necessity

I no longer find Brittania Roundabout impossible to negotiate but merely annoying

But going back to the first post would that be clockwise or anti clockwise? that is assuming that clocks were invented in the northern hemisphere, wonder how that worked when marked candles were used to tell the time?

This has set me off on some research (well wikipedia!) and I found this

"Clocks traditionally follow this sense of rotation because of the clock's predecessor: the sundial. Clocks with hands were first built in the Northern Hemisphere (see main article), and they were made to work like sundials. In order for a horizontal sundial to work (in the Northern Hemisphere), it must be placed looking southward. Then, when the Sun moves in the sky (east to south to west), the shadow cast on the opposite side of the sundial moves with the same sense of rotation (west to north to east). This is why hours were drawn in sundials in that manner, and why modern clocks have their numbers set in the same way. Note, however, that on a vertical sundial (such as those placed on the walls of buildings), the shadow moves in the opposite direction, and some clocks were constructed to mimic this. The best-known surviving example is the astronomical clock in the Münster Cathedral, whose hands move counterclockwise."

Also there's a great old English word for anti-clockwise - 'widdershins'!

Guest Cornish Pasties

Great post.....

I am no longer amazed when I see Lorikeets or Galahs flying past

I no longer tut at the cost of the shopping bill

I no longer find the television interesting

I no longer buy bottles of wine - goonsacs rock! :wink: