What food/drink do you miss from home?

Ktee

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For me it has to be Hollands Steak and Kidney Pudding, Stanforths Pork Pies and Bisto Gravy. Mind you I'd eat anything right now, better than a tube:frown:

Had a pork pie from foodland (Occonnel st) last night, nearest one to UK taste (presonal again folks!) i have found so far, also had Batchalors Mushy peas with it too. Also strangely they had Robertsons Lemon Curd, can get the jam tarts going now!! Also Heinze salad cream in the tall bottle (original recipe). Bisto gravy granules (3 variety's) are readily available at several supermarkets.

amazing what turns up sometimes when you scan all the selves high and low.

Guest Guest75

I'm dealing with a grocery supply company at the moment and when walking through their warehouse I noticed a lot of familiar stock, from Sarson's vinegar to Branston Pickle. Mainly going into Foodlands. I've had the odd Pork pie from Coles , bit expensive and no jelly inside but OK for a treat.

I love lemon cheese. Our supermarkets are rubbish up in Cairns, I had my op in Sydney so had to stay down there well over a month and Rob said the supermarkets were like Morrisons back in the UK and they had salad bars etc.

I'm dealing with a grocery supply company at the moment and when walking through their warehouse I noticed a lot of familiar stock, from Sarson's vinegar to Branston Pickle. Mainly going into Foodlands. I've had the odd Pork pie from Coles , bit expensive and no jelly inside but OK for a treat.

That is something we can get up here the branston pickle. Never seen Pork Pies up here, there is a market for you Tyke :wink:

Guest Guest75
That is something we can get up here the branston pickle. Never seen Pork Pies up here, there is a market for you Tyke :wink:

I actually have a genuine por pie recipe from a long line of makers - I have had to swear not to retail in the UK but they would want recognition if it lead to manufacture and retail here in Oz - ones with proper jelly in!

Mmmmm, pancake rolls (or chop seuy sp. rolls, depending on where you come from).

I did miss fish and chips, but that haddock was great. And the curry sauce.

I use bisto, but have got used to gravox. I miss British stock cubes and the squeezy tubes of tomato purée for cooking.

I think most things I forget until I get a craving. It helps that you can buy more and more here. I nearly cried when I first saw Parma ham here. (It took a couple of years.

I actually have a genuine por pie recipe from a long line of makers - I have had to swear not to retail in the UK but they would want recognition if it lead to manufacture and retail here in Oz - ones with proper jelly in!

Well when I can eventually eat again you make them and I will taste test for you ;)

Guest Claire-n-tel

If someone mentions something i often think "ooh i could right eat that" but not really that much i really miss any more, oh appart from twigglets or revels!

Guest Claire-n-tel
Marmite,Marmite,Marmite,Marmite,Marmite,Marmite,Marmite...................:tongue::tongue:

Coles,coles,coles,coles coles,coles, co..les:wink:

Mmmmm, pancake rolls (or chop seuy sp. rolls, depending on where you come from).

I did miss fish and chips, but that haddock was great. And the curry sauce.

I use bisto, but have got used to gravox. I miss British stock cubes and the squeezy tubes of tomato purée for cooking.

I think most things I forget until I get a craving. It helps that you can buy more and more here. I nearly cried when I first saw Parma ham here. (It took a couple of years.

This is one thing I do really miss here, but only when I go to cook something that needs tomato purée. Can't think of anything else I miss right now. My youngest child misses sugar free vimto.

This is one thing I do really miss here, but only when I go to cook something that needs tomato purée. Can't think of anything else I miss right now. My youngest child misses sugar free vimto.

Hubby has been confused in the past and swears they sell purée there only it's called something else. He tried a recipe of mine and where it said purée he took it to mean something else and said if I'd called it by its proper name he'd have known what to buy lol.

I just had my gammon for dinner. It was a bit of a let down. Not salty enough. Never mind.

I haven't been back to the uk for over five years though, so I wonder how much my tastes have changed. I don't think I would probably enjoy lots of things I crave when I finally got it.

I forgot, garlic mushrooms in pubs! I have bought myself a deep fat fryer just to make them. :-)

Every now and again where I work we have 'shared lunches' where we all make something and bring it in. I made a treacle tart for one and just about everyone hated it. :-(

Every now and again where I work we have 'shared lunches' where we all make something and bring it in. I made a treacle tart for one and just about everyone hated it. :-(

Invite me next time, I'll eat their share. I'd eat all their shares of treacle tart. Might take me a few days but I'd get there. Even better if you were throwing in some custard :cute:

Tomato puree is in all the super markets near the tinned tomatoes and passata - it's usually called Tomato Paste and rather than the tubes you often could get in the UK, it's in small tins (Like baby food size) up to jam jar size/bit bigger - I find it exactly the same in taste and texture.

Yes, it is nowhere near as convenient and doesn't last as long though. It isn't specifically the taste. I like to use just a little, then the rest gets wasted.

I forgot (I keep remembering things).

Goose. Roast goose. Yum.

I had another one too, but I've just eaten so forgotten (all I could think of was food before lol).

I found some tomato puree in sachets and a squeezy bottle a couple of weeks ago in both Foodland and Woolworths; Leggos were doing a promotion and I was overjoyed to see it.

As for missing things - I didn't think we were allowed to; new country and all that :biggrin: but as someone else said it's more about every now and then thinking "oh I quite fancy... wotsits, Angel Delight, Sainsbury's cream crackers, bread sticks, Farley's Rusks and so on" but we're certainly not starving for the change in tastes we seem to have found plenty of alternatives.

Yes, it is nowhere near as convenient and doesn't last as long though. It isn't specifically the taste. I like to use just a little, then the rest gets wasted.

Agreed. I always used to keep a tube of tomato purée in the fridge so always had some handy when I needed some, and often I'd only need a tablespoons worth. My OH is sure you used to be able to get them here but I've never found any in the Coles near me. I might have to try Woolies and Coles in town to see if they have them, but as my OH was in the UK for 13 years and lived in Brisbane for the few years before he moved over he might be remembering wrong.