Hair dye

Blossom

Hello all.

I'm after help from the ladies (or men in the know) about hair.

I have terrible hair, always have done. It breaks very easily.

Back at the Christmas before last I decided to go bleach blonde. I have no idea why, I knew it doesn't suit me, but never mind.

I decided I didn't like it and dyed it darker. Very soon I realised that my hair was getting more and more damaged. So I moved into red henna (lush stuff, not the stuff with metallic salts). I have been doing it every now and again for over a year now, gradually going darker.

The ends are beginning to look a little green as it fades, so I'm guessing it needs another go of the red. Not, henna is a pain to put on, so I was considering normal dyes again.

As far as I can tell, it should be safe to dye my hair darker with normal dye after having the henna, but not lighter. This is fine. But my main issue is, it is only just beginning to feel less damaged. Are there any hair dyes (preferably permenant ones) which are not going to damage my hair?

That was a lot of woffling for a simple question really lol.

Guest Adelaide_bound

You can use any dye without damaging your hair if you use coconut oil ( sorry that sounds like a terrible infomercial lol)

was white bleach blonde for a few years (until last week anyway!), pretty much always did it myself as hairdressers never took it light enough for me and had a couple of chewing gum stage disasters over the years. Coconut oil got it back to totally top stage (hurrah). You can get it at health food places here (I slways used to get it in boots back in the uk so took some hunting down here) just make sure it's totally pure oil, NOT hair treatment or anything as they tend to have petroleum oil and other carp stuff in.

You whack it in your hair and leave it - over night is best but for as long as really. If you are bleaching you just bleach over the top of it, lovely hair , lovely colour. If you are using a packet you probably want to remove it first, you might have to use a clarifying shampoo (redken do an amaxing one) to get rid of all the oil, depenfing on your hair.

HOWEVER if you aren't very dark anyway and want a darker sort of shade than your natural colour you don't need to use a dye that has any bleach in it (to lift the shade) so can just use a semi perm. Tint type dye, or veggie based colour instead. Manic panic are AMAZING at colour and conditioning and have some 'normal' shades as well as mental tones lol.

The problem with a lot of package perm dyes are they have the bleaches and other nasty stuff that's going to damage your hair more and more, and if you don't want to go a shade or more lighter than your natural colour you just don't need it really.

Try the coconut oil, its cheap (and you can cook with it if you don't get on with it lol)(you can give things like joico reconstructor treatment etc a go which are also fab fab fab but are loads more expensive. They are more convenient and less messy, but do cost a lot imho when you are using them a lot ) and will probably put your hair back to really good condition so you can go mad with a perm. dye of your choice ( from having worked my way through most perm. brands over the years I can report they're much of a muchness really imho) unless you want to just go with veggie based semis which will help with the condition (leave on for as long as possible for it to penetrate as much as possible).

If you just want to combat the green, try ketchup, it works for chlorine green ness :)

Good luck :)

Thanks very much. I will head off to the health food shop tomorrow and will have a look for manic panic.

Leaving over night is no problem, I sometimes do that with the henna lol. Although I do end up getting up early to wash it out. It's like gritty mud.

Guest Adelaide_bound

Manic panic might be found in hairdressers here, but you will get MUCH better prices online for it - I found it in a couple of hairdressers when we were in brissie in the cbd and it was about $20 more than online. Off ya tree near rundle mall in the cbd here might have it if you call them up. Otherwise there is a fab place online based in Perth wa that have it at a pretty reasonable price :)

Well I got some coconut oil today and after reading it is good as a mask on your hair to, I am now covered in it, as is my partner who insisted he wanted to try too lol.

I didn't see that brand of dye, but I did look on line. They all looked pretty bright colours though (other than the raven black).

Guest Adelaide_bound

Most of them are quite vibrant in the pot, but as they are veggie dyes they can come out quite delicate - have a look at this gallery for a look at how some of them look over unbleached hair (or bleached, dyed and then over the top of that lol.) http://www.hairdyegallery.co.uk/unbleachedpage1.html

Its a fabo website, lots of tips, hints and lots and lots of photos about how the colour sits on different people (have chosen quite a few colours by using this gallery lol).

Also, because they aren't chemically, you can mix them to your hearts content - the only thing I would say is if you are going to do this make sure you only mix in amounts, ie 1 cup of this colour to 2 cups of that colour etc, so you can re-create it as often as you want. Just putting a teaspoon of black into something will bring it down an awful lot :)

If you want to stay henna-ish red, you could use one of the darker reds, see how that turns out over your base colour (I don't know what you are right now, so can't really advise :) ) or get a darker red and add a smidge of raven - I don't know if you'll be able to get any cobra or any other browns anymore, didn't know they had been discontinued :( But you could always try an off the shelf brown that isn't chemically if you want to mix that in.

Anyway, have a look at the unbleached photos, you might be able to get an idea that they don't all turn out shocking pink (although if you want to go that colour I TOTALLY recommend Virgin Rose, its the *nicest* happiest colour ever lol)

Good luck, if you have any questions just shoot me a message or something, they are pretty helpful on the beeunique forum as well for hair stuff :)

Ohhhh wow, you have me convinced. I do like bright colours. Funnily enough, the colour I got most comments like 'it really suits you' was bright pink. Even from little old ladies lol.

How long do those ones tend to last for?

I don't know how to describe my hair colour actually, probably mousy brown. Very boring colour, but on the plus not one grey. :-)

Thanks very much. :-)

I showed this thread to my daughter (she's sitting next to me) and in her experience Manic colours do not last long and are defo over priced.

She uses Jean's Colour by Alfaparf Milano which she gets from Price Attack. Apparently she buys a $20 pump bottle and that does her medium-length hair twice. The colour is rich, condition brilliant and long lasting.

The colours are richer than the Manic which, in her opinion, is a bit 2-D. Mind you, I guess it depends how intense you want the colour to be; her's is currently a very glossy magenta!

Thanks for the coconut oil tip btw, I am definitely going to try that one.

LC

PS Jean's Colour is not tested on animals either and is vegetable-based.

Guest Adelaide_bound

Manic don't seem to last that well over here - think its the UV - in the UK I had bright solid purple for a few weeks and it lasted and lasted. Here it didn't even last a week begin that vibrant, but then a) we were living in a camper van and going in the sea b) that was pure colour on white bleached hair so was going for the utter and total vibrant look and c) I quite like it faded to lilac anyway :)

Over mousey browny blondey (pretty much my natural hair colour, although I haven't seen that for a good 15 odd years lol) you'll probably find they don't go so massively shocking (any brand), but if you went with something like the bright purple or pink it would look kinda 'off the wall' still - if you go with the darker reds you probably will just get a really nice tonal effect (SO got my eye on the new Vampire Kiss red lol)

Thank LC for the heads up on that brand - will give it a go when I get the chance to go colourful again - its always a faff trying out new brands, have been through quite a few and it ends up getting expensive when they don't work!

I think bright hair just makes people smile in general, so they always comment on it positively I've found, as long as you have a smile on your face lol

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have got a bottle of manic panic vampire red. I did look for the jeans colour, but they didn't have it in my local price attack (or I missed it).

What type of shampoo do you usually use first? It's talking about ph neutral ones. I have no idea which ones that would be. I'm probably going to leave it on for a few hours. :-)

Guest Adelaide_bound

I found the jeans colour at westfield teatree in hairhouse warehouse, hate to say I'm not really finding it a patch on manic - I'm guessing different hair just reacts differently (as it were not that its really reacting as its not chemicals iyswim) but its giving a very slight hint of red just not a lot and it just feels like a lot of pigment is coming out in the rinse rather than staying in my hair.

Don't stress about what ph the shampoo is - I tend to coconut oil over night, bleach it directly over that ( just regrowth) then just joico moisturizing shampoo that out - if the cocnut oil is stil in the lengths at all I use redken clarifying shampoo over that, then no conditioner and just tangle tease and bung the manic on, again over night if I can ( so all day) but if not as long as possible. I have also had really good results taking a large jar if conditioner ( sometjing like dove or tresemme) taking most of it out and puting the manic in, mixing it in, then using it every other time in the shower again but just leaving in whilst washing body and rinsing.

Hope any of that helps :)

Ps if you want to get together ever to chat hair and stuff drop me a pm :)

Thanks very much. :-)

I'm not planning on bleaching. Not a good idea with the henna I believe.

I actually have a bottle of bright red tinted shampoo. I got it when I first put henna on my hair but it was totally the wrong type of red, but it should match well with this one.

I had been reading one of the long hair forums where lots of people were talking about just using conditioner and some coconut oil, no shampoo (or not often). I tried it yesterday and have had very oily looking hair for the last two days lol.

I found the jeans colour at westfield teatree in hairhouse warehouse, hate to say I'm not really finding it a patch on manic - I'm guessing different hair just reacts differently :)

I guess you're right :)

My DD's hair is naturally (resorting to memory/old photos lol!) golden brown and Jeans has given her remarkably brilliant colours including red, magenta and blue!

They are so vibrant it is not uncommon to hear kids point her out to their mothers!

Hope you each get the colour you desire..

:wubclub: LC

I have a very red scalp, but so far I'm liking the colour a lot, although its hard to tell in artificial light and it isn't totally dry yet. It feels GREAT though which is always nice.

The green tinge to the ends has defiantly gone.

I have read so many people saying henna is the messiest thing ever bla bla bla. They obviously never tried manic panic! Lol.

Guest Adelaide_bound

LOL - you get used to it and how to do it less messily, promise lol :D Vaseline around the hairline and behind the ears (the bit that I always manage to get badly) is really helpful, and applying it to the lengths, then brushing the colour through with a tangle teaser and putting it on the root bit carefully last, rather than pouring it onto the scalp area and rubbing lol.

You can also get wipes that get rid of any stains apparently (but I never bothered with them tbh) and a line of cotton wool around the hair line if it gets too bad.

HTH :)

• 5 weeks later...

Priceattack in Elizabeth shopping centre does manic panic and jeans colour!

I had three different comments from people today saying they like my hair colour, so it's lasting pretty well, or at least looking nice as it fades. I just want to do it again now as my hair felt AMAZING afterwards. I'm thinking of trying to make my own protein mask with egg, honey and aloe Vera and seeing if it feels anywhere near as nice. I read that manic panic is also a protein treatment. It is hard to work out in the shops what is a protein treatment.

I still have lots of split ends though, and my scalp is a little flakey, but I'm using a different shampoo and conditioner, so I'm guessing its that.

• 1 year later...

I know this an older thread but I need some hair colour advice. I have been using permanent colour from a hairdressing supplies for years. My sister gets it for me.

Is there a friendly hairdresser on here, who could help me out? I don't think I'd be allowed to ship bottles of developer in the container....

I don't think I could face life my natural colour..I haven't seen it for years...it's horrible.....lol..I'd like to stay a red head, if at all possible. Cheers in advance..:wink:

They sell the bottles of deleloper and base colours at lots of places here. My other half has spent the last four days dying, re-dying, stripping, dying.... Trying to get a colour he likes. :-/

He's currently in the bathroom trying to tone down the colour he has now... :-/

Phew! Cheers Blossom. My OH is jealous....he has no hair left to dye..lol..:-)

Guest Guest14361

If anyone is after a hair stylist that does great lasting colours, try mine, she put in grey streaks and I've never had to get them touched up at all in the past 10 years, in fact they get better....