Citizenship

Blossom

What is your take on Australian citizenship?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What is your take on Australian citizenship?

• I already have citizenship
    • I am eligible but have not applied yet
    • I am eligible but will not apply.
    • I am not eligible yet, but will apply when I can

I kinda feel like I have had so many changes in the visa rules since I have been here that even though I have pr they might change something and whip it away, so I have to get citizenship as soon as I can. I don't think I will feel truly safe here until then.

Guest Adelaide_bound

SO can't wait until we are eligible, the time flies but I really want that bit of paper - makes life a bit easier in some ways I think, and as Jessica says, you haven't got anything to loose if you come from the UK by taking it, so might as well if no other reason lol :)

Though it's a long way to go until being eligible to apply for citizenship we'll do asap.

2 1/2 years to wait. The 1st 1 1/2 years have gone so quick to adjust, finding job, house, car etc. Now we feel more settled and comfortable and cannot think about moving back to Europe. So it makes sense not only contribute with Tax and job skills. Unfortunately, Australia changed its Citizenship Act in 2007 to our disadvantage!

• 2 weeks later...
We have been eligible for a couple of years now but haven't got round to doing it, will hopefully be doing it soon

if you have family back home like parents, then it is best that you get citizenship and a passport, then should the need arise that you have to return back to UK on short notice you do not then have to worry about retrurning resident visa's, it has been known not be allowed back in to OZ and you have to re-apply for a visa. Your choice but something to think about.

No need to say morone, just shout QUEENSLAND, especially tomorrow night, come on you maroons!!

Guest AliinAus

We were very lucky in that we arrived before July 2007 meaning we could apply within 2 years (arriving after July 1st would have meant a 4 year wait). We (or rather I) applied as soon as we were able and took our test in the Feb of 2009. It was always on the agenda for us if we were staying, we wanted to contribute to voting in elections.