So what constitutes local?

flossybeth

Following on from the recent threads about UK food and the British Chippy what exactly would you consider local foods now you're in Australia?

Would it be South Australian; so only buying fruit and veg that are in season here in SA or made in SA? Buying from shops like Foodland which promote SA or is more national; anything that is a product of Australia, made in Australia or made by an Australian company - and if it's Australia-wide isn't it to be expected that a country larger than Europe should be able to provide almost all of it's population's food needs?

Guest Claire-n-tel

Hi Flossybeth! I've often wondered this myself, for me personally, and i'll quite possibly be shot down in flames for this, but it all comes down to taste, quality, price and availability, i don't think i've ever looked where something was made:shocked:

Saying that, after discussion on here and also with a friend about it last week i needed to buy a piece of clothing, i went to Myers, Jeanswest, DJ's and harris scarf looking and out of interest looked a dozens of lables, NONE were made in Australia, all india or China, If i'd only been buying Australian i would have come home empty handed

If it comes from my garden it counts as local. Other than that I'm not too bothered. I buy lots of uk made things, but that is because I have tried the alternatives and they are not as good. Even things like mustard. I have tried lots of locally made ones, I still prefer proper French Dijon.

I often want to like local things better, but often the quality is not the same. Of course there are lots of things which are good too, but not enough for me to actively search them out.

For food I will always buy South Australian if available, Australian if not. I have been known to protest in Coles when they are only selling American Lemons (during Aussie lemon season!) - which is probably why they label everything Australian now, even if it's not (allegedly....)

If you were in the UK would the clothes be made in UK, unlikely. The quality of the garments doesn't have to have anything to do with where they are made.

i used to work at M&S and 90% of clothes were advertised as being from UK, although the cotton etc was always from overseas...so what is local?