Best Chips in Adelaide

Ktee

A good chip should be crisp and golden on the outside and full of fluffy potato on the inside. After that, what makes hot chips great is entirely up to you.

Do you like your chips cut thick and chunky or thin and crispy? Sprinkled with plain or chicken salt? Smothered with tomato sauce, aioli, vinegar or a squeeze of lemon? Eaten on their own, as a side or sandwiched in bread? Served on a plate, in a cup, a cone or wrapped in paper?

One thing is for sure, they certainly are yummy. There are many places in Adelaide to get chips but where will you find the best hot chips?

If you are craving fresh, chunky cut chips then visit the Deep Blue Café on the Esplanade at Moana where you can dine in or take away. If take away is your preference, you can order a serve of hot chips to feed two for $5.50 and then wander across the road to eat by the beach.

Hit the road on the weekend and head to the Myponga Brewery off Main South Road for beer tasting and an enormous plate of thick cut chips to share. At $9.90 the chips aren't cheap but slathered in the Myponga Brewery beer batter, they are worth it. Don't forget to stop and check out the view at the Myponga Reservoir while you are in the area.

Another road trip worth making is to the Flying Fish Café, which is situated on the foreshore of Horseshoe Bay, Port Elliot. After your swim in the ocean, step off the sand and into the beachfront Flying Fish Café where your chips will be battered in Coopers Sparkling Ale and served in a cone.

You get more bang for your buck at Chicken Legends on Commercial Road, Seaford with generous serves at a reasonable price. Most of the time the chips here are cooked perfectly- golden, crunchy and a chunky cut. On the downside, they can be unpredictable with the chips being under-cooked occasionally and overly generous with the salt. Roll the dice though, the risk is worth it because when they're good, they're great.

For a crispy, thinner style of chip, Barnacle Bill never fails to satisfy. There are restaurants all around Adelaide where you can eat in or take away. Barnacle Bill cook with a healthy oil which is allegedly better for you than other oils. It is high in the good fats, low in the bad, naturally free of cholesterol and makes it sound like the chips here just might be good for you.

Put both Verve Bar & Kitchen and Enuf Burger Bar at the top of your chip hit list. Both of these places seem to have a secret ingredient that make their chips exceptional.

Enuf Burger Bar produce gourmet burgers at two locations- Jetty Road, Brighton and Anzac Highway, Glenelg North. You can order a serve of specially battered fries on their own for between $2.50 to $6.00 or add them to your Enuf Burger Bar burger order. For an extra $1 choose your favourite dipping sauce from tomato, sweet chilli, mayo, chilli lime aioli, barbecue or hollandiase.

Perhaps it is the dazzling customer service at Verve Bar & Kitchen that enhances the flavour of their chips. For $6.50 you get a bowl of chips that seem to be hand cut, beer battered and cooked to perfection. Verve Bar & Kitchen can be found on the second level, outside of Westfield Shopping Centre, Marion.

Whilst I am yet to experience them, I have heard stellar reviews of the chips at The Dublin Hotel, Glenelg. Considered fries, you can order a plate with aioli dressing to share for $10. If it is possible, they apparently taste even better than they look in this photo sent in by a fellow chip lover.

hot-chips-dublin-hotel-glenelg.jpg

Here are a few of the comments from the article:

A few months ago I would have said Botanic at Blackwood have the best chips, but now I think the new Fighting Tempura Japanese place in Blackwood, opposite Barnarcle Bills have the best chips. They are crisp and crunchy on the outside and light and fluffy on the inside. Best chips ever! Tempura calamari is great too!

The Fish Bone Cafe do the best chips in Adelaide .relatives that come from overseas rave about them .Try them and you won't go anywhere else .Fantastic ..they are at Glenelg at the entrance of the Beach house lane way .on Jetty rd .

Marino Rocks cafe has consistently excellent chips. Crunchy on outside and soft and fluffy inside. I have never had a bad chip there. And you can take them out to a park bench on the cliffs overlooking the sea and devour them with a spectacular view.

Botanic chickens and seafood - Shepherds Hill Road Blackwood. These guys have been the best takeaway fish/chips/chickens joint in the area for at least the 18 years that I've been around. Same people - same consistently great fish and chips.

Best English Style Chips

sotos at semaphore have the best chips in adelaide but beware in summer you can wait up to an hour for your chippies so do like i do i go for a swim then ring a phone order in by the time i towel off and pack up all the stuff and drive there the wait is almost over and they will tell you how long before your order is ready also the staff there are ever so friendly they will share any local knowledge to new comers a awesome place to go...

Have tried fish and chips from all over England and Blightys is NOT typical English fish and chips! They were covered in grease and the fish was overlooked. The staff are really miserable and need to learn customer relation skills! Do yourselves a favour and go to Barnacle Bills, always value for money.

Soto's fish shop semaphore Rd the best fresh cooked chips not frozen

http://www.weekendnotes.com/best-hot-chips-adelaide/

Reading about all this food is making me hungry!!!

We landed in Jan this year and have embraced all the Aussie faves. The price difference is a major motivation to buy local and not imported stuff.

Just wanted to ask... has anyone found Bisto gravy granules here? Or a good alternative? The Bisto powder just doesn't seem to taste very nice at all. What would you all recommend?

We landed in Jan this year and have embraced all the Aussie faves. The price difference is a major motivation to buy local and not imported stuff.

Just wanted to ask... has anyone found Bisto gravy granules here? Or a good alternative? The Bisto powder just doesn't seem to taste very nice at all. What would you all recommend?

Hi DeeH, Bisto gravey granules are readily available, coles, foodland and woolworths, but maybe not in all stores original, chickhen and veg. what area do you live maybe I can advise of nearest store I know have it.

Keith

Bisto was my only weakness and the only thing I miss from home

Bisto was my only weakness and the only thing I miss from home

We always bring back Bisto gravy powder when over on holiday, and Paxo sage & onion stuffing! though paxo is sometimes vailable but not as readily found as the gravy granules.

We to bring back all sorts of stuff and had great fun at customs, but it has eased over time and it is now generally just the powder and paxo. we do take milo to the uk for the oldman, can only find that in Sainsbury's in small tins, its also one of the things that sainsbury do not, for some strange reason, provide on thier internet shopping, as thats what we do now for presents for the old folks back home- internet groceries and booze delivered to the door, the folks love it.

Hi DeeH, Bisto gravey granules are readily available, coles, foodland and woolworths, but maybe not in all stores original, chickhen and veg. what area do you live maybe I can advise of nearest store I know have it.

Keith

Hi Keith, you may have just given me the best news of the week! I am in the Norwood area. I've looked in the local Coles and Foodland but have had no luck. Unless I am looking in the wrong sections?

We always bring back Bisto gravy powder when over on holiday, and Paxo sage & onion stuffing! though paxo is sometimes vailable but not as readily found as the gravy granules.

We to bring back all sorts of stuff and had great fun at customs, but it has eased over time and it is now generally just the powder and paxo. we do take milo to the uk for the oldman, can only find that in Sainsbury's in small tins, its also one of the things that sainsbury do not, for some strange reason, provide on thier internet shopping, as thats what we do now for presents for the old folks back home- internet groceries and booze delivered to the door, the folks love it.

My MIL is coming over soon, do they not mind you bringing things in like bisto, if not then I will get her to bring me a full case of it lol.

Agree with Paxo as well, use to love paxo.

Hi Keith, you may have just given me the best news of the week! I am in the Norwood area. I've looked in the local Coles and Foodland but have had no luck. Unless I am looking in the wrong sections?

I know we can't get it in store at either woolies or coles but we can get it online.

Hi DeeH, Then nearest one for sure is the new woolworth in walkerville - north walkerville terrace, International food section (isle 7) for all 3 types & paxo along with other UK goodies.

Happy shopping

My MIL is coming over soon, do they not mind you bringing things in like bisto, if not then I will get her to bring me a full case of it lol.

Agree with Paxo as well, use to love paxo.

Hi Ktee, there is no problem bringing that in, just ensure you declare you have food when filling out the customs card. Only problem we had once was some special paxo with cranberry and seeds, so we just stick to good old sage & onion now!:smile:

Hi DeeH, Then nearest one for sure is the new woolworth in walkerville - north walkerville terrace, International food section (isle 7) for all 3 types & paxo along with other UK goodies.

Happy shopping

Thanks Keith!! That's fab! Going to check it out tonight and stock up! :)