Any ideas on getting rid of vermin? Had these two little buggers by the house today!

Guest Damien

Guest Damien

Only joking! I was late to work today, had to get a few good photos of these beauties. I haven't seen this koala before so looks like we have a new one in the colony. It was alongside the driveway about 20m from the house.

DSC_0012.jpg

That's lovely. I remember going on a work do of my OH's at Belair Park once and seeing loads of koalas there - one of his work mates who was a born and bred aussie said it was the first time he'd seen one! I was amazed. We get them occasionally in the park near us. Obviously they've stopped dishing out birth control pills to the KI koalas like they used to now?

Guest Damien

No Diane, they still desex the females when they can. The population has dropped from something like 20000 to 13000 in a few years. I hope it doesn't drop any further. We get at least one koala every few days in our front garden. The kids don't even look out for them any more. 'It's just another koala dad! Get over it.'

Don't think I will ever get over the joy of seeing one though - and have to say that one of yours (the big one!) looks very fit and healthy, so hopefully the population control is also having some success at reducing the cases of chlamydia in koalas. Seeing a koala and hearing a kookaburra or a flock of black cockies still makes me smile every time

Guest Damien

The koalas on KI are the only chlamydia free population in Australia, that's why they use them for rehoming places like the SE where they have been wiped out. They desex them here as they are eating their way through all the gum trees and soon there'll be no food for them. Oh, and we've also got a resident pair of kookaburras that live in trees by our bedroom window (noisy sods lol), glossy black cockatoos feed on the sheoaks along our drive, beautiful small birds such as red-browed finches, heaps of parrots, shall I go on.... not that I love the place or anything!. Evreyday Lisa opens the curtains and syas 'Paradise'.

Only joking! I was late to work today, had to get a few good photos of these beauties. I haven't seen this koala before so looks like we have a new one in the colony. It was alongside the driveway about 20m from the house.

A gorgeous photo