First week on reccie parking ticket already

SwanseaJack

Hi

Visited Victor Harbour today parked in parking bay near info centre went in to buy tickets and ask how long we could park on the street. The gentleman came out and said 2 hours only but look a that car there parked facing the wrong direction (facing oncoming traffic) he'll be done for that. To which I replied that's us. By the time we got o the car (5min) there was a lovely penalty waiting for us $60 not a happy bunny. Had no idea about that rule we were just happy to find space.

Are there any other rules that we should be made aware of?????

Kathy:policeman:

Hi mate, you've been unlucky there. It is the law that you park with the direction of the traffic and it is a good idea imo, but a bugger when you don't know....trust me $60 is nothing here, if you go just 1.5mph over speed limit you'll be looking at around a $300 fine.

I see your from Carmarthen, spent a lot of time around your area, work/holidays......we used to live near Newtown.

I saw a hire car in victor once parked on the wrong side of the road. I had been planning on leaving a note saying that in oz you have to park with the flow of traffic, but couldn't think of a way at the time for it not to sound arsey.

That's the main one which could catch you out I reckon. They can fine you for having a mobile phone on your lap, even if you have not touched it. It's not common for them to get you on that unless they have seen you using the phone though. You can have a phone in a holder attached to the car or a pocket or pouch (whatever they mean by that).

Sorry to hear about your misfortune there.It is a part of life here that Motoring fines are extremely prevalent.There was a report in the Advertiser regarding the extortionate fines here last Year.Some of the ones that bear the harshest penalties,with massive fines were.... No Seatbelt,(Passengers as well),failure to stop dead at a Stop Sign line,doing a U Turn where the sign says don't!,My advice would be don't speed,even if there is a lunatic behind trying to get you to speed(he or she won't pay your fine for you)!Drive carefully,and you will be OK.

Best of Luck.

I don't speed, but once on the port river express way I did to get around a truck because some absolute nutter came so fast up behind me. I swear he was about to run me off the road. He actually tried to fit in between me and the truck! He was so close to hitting me. It's a 90km zone, so it isn't like it would have been a small tap, he could have killed us both. He must have been drunk or on drugs. I was shakey for ages after. I did consider calling the police (he was all over the road and doing the same to others), but I'm terrible at describing things, so just where I was would have been bad enough, before my car description lol.

Guest Django
O dear.

Yes, you must park the same way as traffic flowing when parking on the street, not against it like you can do in the UK. Catches a lot of people out.

Its is the same in the UK Sniffs its just that the rule isn't enforced as readily.

Guest Claire-n-tel

In the UK it is illegal to park on the wrong side of the road at night unless you are in a designated parking bay. In the day time it is not actually against the law to do so.

Also if you are parked at night on a road with speed limit above 30mph you should have your parking lights on.

:policeman:

Guest Claire-n-tel
I seem to remember when parking in adelaide on roadside parking places that you always had to park nose in and reverse out, otherwise a ticket is imminent.

Never quite get this?? Even in carparks almost everyone seems to nose in and then has to reverse out into traffic with little/no visability, we always reverse into spaces in a carpark, find it much easier to drive out, it makes it easy to find the car again too.....the only one parked the 'wrong way'!:biggrin:

You need to check the signs for which way you should park - angled, 90, reverse in etc; also for your time limits (it took us a while to work out the P actually meant hours). As far as other road infractions go - speeding definitely; 50 in residential streets (you can usually spot a bin with a sticker on and that reminds you), 60 on the busier roads and indicating for at least 5 seconds before turning and stopping dead at a stop sign and letting people cross the road even though your light is green.

I think that's it for now. The library has a booklet called Rules of the Road that's easy to read and free.