Only one more big step to go...

guspjmh

Well, we sold our lovely house on Friday and have moved into a short term rental. I must admit, I wasn't expecting it to be quite such an emotional experience, we loved our home and it feels weird for the first time in over a decade to not have a place that I own. Very sad to say goodbye - the cleared house was like a corpse of someone you know and love. Lots of nostalgia, but no life in it.

Anyway, I rationalised it in by head by realising that the sadness and nostalgia, was down to the memories shared with my family there, rather than the bricks and mortar itself.

A few months to go and then we need to say goodbye to the people we love - the really hard bit...

Guest vikkiann

We completed on our house the day before we flew off.

I remember sitting on the floor when we got the call from the solicitor to say it had gone through, looking at my husband and saying 'what have we done'. I was feeling so emotional, the memories at that house when our children were born, we got married, the list was endless but looking back now it was just memories and they will stay in my heart forever. I'm getting all emotional now.

Hopefully, we'll be home owners again soon!

We completed on our house the day before we flew off.

I remember sitting on the floor when we got the call from the solicitor to say it had gone through, looking at my husband and saying 'what have we done'. I was feeling so emotional, the memories at that house when our children were born, we got married, the list was endless but looking back now it was just memories and they will stay in my heart forever. I'm getting all emotional now.

Hopefully, we'll be home owners again soon!

Hopefully you will.

It feels weird for me renting a place right now, as I've owned my own house since I was 22, and had a job of some sort since I was 16, and now I don't have either!!! Really looking forward to making the step - how long is it until you can get a mortgage in Oz, if you are from the UK? I am dreading leaving all the people I love behind - although my mum will visit, I won't see my dad for 3 years until he retires, and thinking about that makes me really sad.

Guest vikkiann

Hi Angus

I believe it's 3 payslips until you can get a mortgage. We are self employed so have to wait 2 years!!

My dad has severe emphysema and can't fly so I flew back to see him in July. I loved seeing him but couldn't wait to get back to Australia which is now home.

I'm looking forward to meeting you guys .

If you need picking up just let me know, I did offer Kate.

Hi Angus

I believe it's 3 payslips until you can get a mortgage. We are self employed so have to wait 2 years!!

My dad has severe emphysema and can't fly so I flew back to see him in July. I loved seeing him but couldn't wait to get back to Australia which is now home.

I'm looking forward to meeting you guys .

If you need picking up just let me know, I did offer Kate.

Thanks Vikki, really appreciate it! I'd already spoken to Doug on here about it though before you offered, and he is kindly giving us a lift from the airport. Looking forward to meeting up for bbq, beer & wine when we get settled (you may already be sick of doing this after being out there a while, but we cannot wait!)

This may seem a peculiar question - but Kate has recently starting 'Zumba-ing' (don't think that's a word) and is looking to continue it out there - are there plenty of places that do it? I think they key to us settling quickly is making friends and getting as involved in the locality as possible with things like this.

Here in oz, you have to be working for an employer for a minimum of 3 months before a mortgage is offered, if you need any advise my wife works for the NAB bank here in oz, just ask and if we can help we will.

The transition is very overwhelming and takes a little getting used to, however this is a great state and some lovely areas and you start to feel

Like your home again.

Just hang in there and good luck, you will be fine I'm sure

Gary