Do you believe in climate change?

Diane

Personally I've always been a bit of a sceptic, and I think the fact that originally the scientists started calling it "global warming" was a big mistake - as British and European winters seemed to get colder and colder, the thought that the planet was "warming up" was bound to cause a bit of laughter in those regions, but with the recent bushfires and now 95% of climate scientists agreeing that the actions of the modern population are having serious effects, I'm starting to think maybe they are right in some of their predictions. I know "Tone" thinks climate change has nothing to do with the recent bushfires, but after reading today that the number of years between serious bushfires in Australia are 80, 29, 14, 11, 9, 6 and 4 - and that for the bushfire season to start in October is very, very rare, I'm starting to think his attitude is as outdated and ill-informed as his views on gay marriage!

I've read all the arguments against climate change (world sea levels changing very little despite predictions of melting ice caps causing all our beachside suburbs to be looking at a future like the lost city of Atlantis for instance), but certainly weather around the world seems to be getting more extreme in recent years. I also realise that we in Australia are relatively such a small percentage, and so spread out, that anything 'harmful' we produce is just a drop in the ocean compared to what countries such as China and India are producing, and their argument about why shouldn't they be allowed to bring their industries up to the levels of western europe in the same way... so should we in Australia forget all about the idea of limiting our carbon emissions, or should we set a bit of an example to the rest of the world, as we have done in the areas of recycling etc?

I'm not sure who to believe, as boths sides of the argument can wheel out scientists and 'experts' to prove or dis-prove different theories. The climate has changed historically anyway - in Tudor times the Thames used to freeze over and they would hold fairs on the ice, then in Roman times Britain had lots of vinyards. It's hard for a lay person to know who to believe. However it's in the interests of big business to prove that climate change is a myth, and they have a lot of money to spend to get their viewpoint across, so I am more inclined to believe those who don't have a vested financial interest. Tony Abbott of course doesn't want to do anything to upset big business.

According to an article on the bbc website 'Australia is the developed world's worst polluter per head of population.'

I checked on wikipedia which actually has Luxembourg as the worst with 20.4 metric tonnes of CO2 per capita, Australia 18.3, USA 17.2, UK 8.5, France 6.1. So on these figures Australia could be making a bit more of an effort to reduce carbon emissions rather than putting their head in the sand.

head in sand.gif

...the fact that originally the scientists started calling it "global warming" was a big mistake - as British and European winters seemed to get colder and colder, the thought that the planet was "warming up" was bound to cause a bit of laughter in those regions...

Well, you should think at the global warming not as a linear increase of temperatures all over the world, but as an increase of the energy in the climatic system.

And since the climate works using the different energy potential between the arctic regions and the tropical ones, moving energy and air masses as a conveyor belt, it is easy to understand that an increase of this potential means cooler northern regions and hotter tropical ones.

This explains why we see colder winters in northern Europe going together with bushfires and heat waves in Australia.

And gives also an explanation to the catastrophic floods in Queensland and the terrific hurricanes that are hitting the southern part of USA with a violence unknown in the past.

We're not increasing the temperature, but the energy of the system, and this is even more dangerous.

However it's in the interests of big business to prove that climate change is a myth, and they have a lot of money to spend to get their viewpoint across, so I am more inclined to believe those who don't have a vested financial interest.
I'm not sure that only one of the two parts is moved by financial interests.

Sure, the petrol and carbon lobbies are powerful, but do not underrate the interests that are related to the renewable energies market, the anti polluting devices market, and even the automotive industries that are using the perceived obsolescence of the "polluting" vehicles built even only a decade ago to force people buying a brand new hybrid car (and they don't tell you that most of the models are less polluting only during the homologation cycles, they don't tell you how many tons of CO2 have been emitted to build the car...).

Well, you should think at the global warming not as a linear increase of temperatures all over the world, but as an increase of the energy in the climatic system.

And since the climate works using the different energy potential between the arctic regions and the tropical ones, moving energy and air masses as a conveyor belt, it is easy to understand that an increase of this potential means cooler northern regions and hotter tropical ones.

This explains why we see colder winters in northern Europe going together with bushfires and heat waves in Australia.

And gives also an explanation to the catastrophic floods in Queensland and the terrific hurricanes that are hitting the southern part of USA with a violence unknown in the past.

We're not increasing the temperature, but the energy of the system, and this is even more dangerous.

That's a very good point Petrus, thanks for that - I hadn't thought of it that way.

Guest Guest75

Nope.

Part of Mother Nature's cycles.

But according to the regular shuttle astronauts who see the changes over the years with deforestation................ It's a bunch of git called Homo Sapiens causing it................ Mum Nature will "ave em" though!

I personally believe climate change is happening and also that sadly it is attributable to man's stupidity,cutting down rain forests ,building on flood plains,fracking gas mining,exploitation in the Antartic and other places.How much damage has been caused by large oil companies,callously exploiting environmentally fragile regions for economic gain.Unfortunately with the way the current government is a puppet for big business here ,particularly mining companies i,can only see it worsening.

From what i have read Clive Palmer is seeking to expand his coal mining interests in Queensland which will severely impact the barrier beef .Having oil tankers anywhere near a natural wonder like the Great Barrier Reef astounds me.

I consider that Australia is a major offender in adding to the climate change issue.I am of the belief that we are custodians for the future and shouldnt just rape and pillage the planet as we see fit.Sadly politicians dont see beyond their own term,sadly part of the its all about me culture,which prevails in todays world.

Dont get me started on the damage that has been done in the Amazon,how many animals have we already put into extinction.There are cycles, but our man made issues are impacting detrimentally upon natures ability to balance the system.

Sue