Feeling Very Proud of myself!!

Guest Claire-n-tel

Congratulations .. not sure what method you have used, but I would highly recommend "Allan Carrs" Easy way to give up smoking book .. even if you've already given up.

I tried giving up, numerous times, but didn't quite conquer it, until I read this book. Local libraries have a copy, so no need to buy it, but it's certainly worth a read, to keep you off the smokes for good, as it makes you (at least it did me) look at smoking in a totally different way. I would never go back and I could never say that before.

I gave up 4 and a half years ago .. it's a great feeling being a non-smoker :)

I gave up smoking 21 years ago and tbh I have never been tempted to have one again. At first it was so nice to be able to breathe again and smell things properly. Something just snapped in my head and I gave up, just like that - one of the best things I ever did. Stay strong and don't be tempted - it really is worth it - good luck!

Ok i feel safe enough to say it now as it has been a whole week.......I am an EX-SMOKER!!:biggrin:

Well done, Claire! Keep going, day by day. I promise it will get easier as the weeks and months pass. It's just over two-and-a-half years since my last cig, and I truly don't even think about it any more. So many people are giving up the fags now; so just remember you're definitely not on your own. However, there are people like my sister who couldn't quite get cigs out of her system, so I got her started on e-cigs (from a UK company trading under '10-Motives'; you can easily find them online), two years ago, and she's not smoked a 'real' cig since then. Said it's the best thing she's ever done and won't go back to tobacco ever again. You can do it, too, Claire: whether it's with - or without - the help of e-cigs. I didn't use e-cigs myself, but for those not able to manage without a bit of help, at least give them a try. And remember you won't be doing yourself any harm if you do have a little 'relapse' and decide to try e-cigs. Good luck, Claire!! You'll be so proud of yourself this time next year, I know!

Edited by barbaitch

Wow! That's an awesome accomplishment, well done!

Speaking as someone who can't seem to give up chips, I am always impressed by people who have the balls (can I say that? Should it be 'testicular fortitude'? Even though I know you are very much a girl?!!) to give up something proven to be addictive.

You are amazing!

:notworthy: LC

Guest Claire-n-tel

Well here i am on day 9!......

I used the lowest dose patches for 5 days and since then only changed them every other day, yesterdays fell off when i was swimming in the river and i actually didn't notice til i went to change it this morning!.....

I have read the Alan Carr book a couple of times and tbh it had bugger all effect on me, although i know people who have sworn by it. I didn't want to do the gum thing, we know someone who 6 years after giving up moved onto normal sugar free gum a couple of years ago but still if he doesn't have that he panics.

Anyway, i guess however you do it the important thing is just doing it in the first place! I have not had and major cravings tbh and Tel said my mood doesn't seem much different, the only time i think about it is at times when i would definatly have lit up, sitting outside with a beer for example, but it just feels strange that i am not doing it rather than anything i could call a craving.

I'm not sure i will ever lose the thought that i would like to smoke one and enjoy it, but i think i have just made up my mind that i am not going to.

:biggrin:

PS thanks for all the encouragement!

• 2 weeks later...

Your doing well, it's never that easy to give up. I gave up 3.5 years ago I still find there is the odd time when I think I could fancy one and you do end up drinking your beer quicker than you used to as well! But you gave up because you wanted to and that's half the battle I don't miss spending the money and appreciate the few extra minutes in a day you get. ( you don't realise how much time you spend smoking until you give up):biggrin:

Well done I'm off them 10 months. Hopefully you'll stay off them now the first few weeks are the hardest but like lemonlime I also used the Alan Carr book and found it to be a great help don't think I could have done it without it so good luck you'll start feeling alot better than you have in years.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Claire-n-tel

He He He!........I actually passed the One Month mark without even noticing!......

So one month 2 days now!......i guess i'll just count in months now!

:jiggy::jiggy::jiggy::jiggy::jiggy::jiggy::jiggy::jiggy::jiggy::jiggy:

He He He!........I actually passed the One Month mark without even noticing!......

So one month 2 days now!......i guess i'll just count in months now!

:jiggy::jiggy::jiggy::jiggy::jiggy::jiggy::jiggy::jiggy::jiggy::jiggy:

The fact that you've stopped noticing means the nicotine is losing its control over you. Well done!

• 6 months later...
Guest Claire-n-tel

He he he!......someone asked me today about giving up smoking and i realised that i past my 6 month mark without noticing and have just past 7!!!....

who'd have thunked it eh??!........not sure where the extra 4+ grand has disapeared to tho?!:biglaugh:

I gave up smoking 22 years ago. I cannot relate to being the same person that used to smoke, it is so long ago. Once you get rid of the evil weed from your body it is very easy to forget that it used to rule your life. Congratulations Claire on making it this far and just make sure that you never give in and go back to that dark place..

Guest Claire-n-tel
I gave up smoking 22 years ago. I cannot relate to being the same person that used to smoke, it is so long ago. Once you get rid of the evil weed from your body it is very easy to forget that it used to rule your life. Congratulations Claire on making it this far and just make sure that you never give in and go back to that dark place..

Hi Anne!......well done on 22 years.

tbh i really enjoyed smoking and it didn't rule my life. I used to work 12 hour shifts and would have a smoke at 6am before my shower then the next would be at 8pm once i'd got out of my uniform.

I think the whole nicotene replacement is a rip of, i'm not saying don't use it if you feel it will help but i think it is much more to do with getting in the right head space to do it and no amount of patches, ecigs, people moaning, going out in the rain etc is going to help you give up.

I definatly beleive it is more the 'evil brain' than the evil weed:wink:

Hi Anne!......well done on 22 years.

tbh i really enjoyed smoking and it didn't rule my life. I used to work 12 hour shifts and would have a smoke at 6am before my shower then the next would be at 8pm once i'd got out of my uniform.

I think the whole nicotene replacement is a rip of, i'm not saying don't use it if you feel it will help but i think it is much more to do with getting in the right head space to do it and no amount of patches, ecigs, people moaning, going out in the rain etc is going to help you give up.

I definatly beleive it is more the 'evil brain' than the evil weed:wink:

I agree that it's all about getting your head in the right place. After a couple of years of half-hearted attempts something just switched over in my head. I was at a petrol station paying for the petrol, realised that I had run out of cigarettes (after a heavy weekend of drinking/smoking/camping in the Brecon Beacons) and I just decided there and then not to buy any cigarettes and to give up - just like that - and I stuck to it! And I've never been tempted to smoke since.