Posh restaurant recommendations?

Blossom

Has anyone been out recently to somewhere which does a degustation menu?

I try to treat myself once a year to a degustation meal, as I really enjoy the whole concept, but it is pricy.

The manse was my favourite, but it's closed. :-(

The Stirling hotel and Auge were the last ones I went to. I'd like to try somewhere new. Can anyone recommend anywhere?

I try to treat myself once a year to a degustation meal, as I really enjoy the whole concept, but it is pricy.

The Stirling hotel and Auge were the last ones I went to. I'd like to try somewhere new. Can anyone recommend anywhere?

Try the Rising Sun on bridge street in Kensington, a different menu to the norm and very tasty, even the bar food menu is away from the norm, it is a bit pricy but not too bad. We went 3 times when we were here in the winter had to book 2 weeks in advance for the weekend, so we went and had a drink ( asked for a pint and got a proper pint too! Cost a gallon though) and a look before booking. Liked what we saw and booked, had a really nice meal so decided to go again and try the bar food, was not disappointed.

Will be going again next week sometime to get whatever is available.

Obviously I'm not as posh as you - I had to google degustation menu (And now wish I hadn't; we had beans on toast for tea and just reading some of those menus....) and quite a few hotels came up the Mount Lofty House one in particular looked delicious, although I'd have to go for the 7 courses over the 5! And there was a Groupon voucher for Mantra in Goodwood.

Enjoy.

Obviously I'm not as posh as you - I had to google degustation menu (And now wish I hadn't; we had beans on toast for tea and just reading some of those menus....) and quite a few hotels came up the Mount Lofty House one in particular looked delicious, although I'd have to go for the 7 courses over the 5! And there was a Groupon voucher for Mantra in Goodwood.

Enjoy.

Ha ha, that's why I only treat myself once a year. Yes, I saw the mount lofty one, and it does look good. I'm hoping someone may have been to report back. :-)

Most of the menus are partnered with wine, but I don't drink. I always feel like maybe I'm missing out, but after two glasses I'd be asleep lol.

Enjoy.

Try the all the different variety of beans on all the different breads, you will get more than 7 courses.

Enjoy

Their website won't load on my phone, I'll have a look later on the computer. Thanks

It won't load on my PC either - maybe they've shut down. We went there about a year ago for my daughter's 18th. Lovely food, but perhaps they've died a death! You could always try that one that's been in the press recently for doing a lot of offal (:wacko:)

There is quite a good recent review here though http://www.yelp.com.au/biz/the-apothecary-1878-adelaide

Edited by Diane

Guest Guest12727
This looks more the thing I'm after. Apparently it reopened in August, have you been since then?

Not been recently. I have been twice though and it is a superb experience. They have such a high reputation I can't imagine it will have reopened without quality. I found this link. Best to sit down before you read the price.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/lifestyle/magill-estate-reopens-tonight-with-a-thrilling-new-look-and-a-menu-including-435-ultimate-meal/story-fnizi7vf-1226705734353

Ah, just read that you don't drink - so the price not so bad

Not been recently. I have been twice though and it is a superb experience. They have such a high reputation I can't imagine it will have reopened without quality. I found this link. Best to sit down before you read the price.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/lifestyle/magill-estate-reopens-tonight-with-a-thrilling-new-look-and-a-menu-including-435-ultimate-meal/story-fnizi7vf-1226705734353

Ah, just read that you don't drink - so the price not so bad

Lol, I had already seen the price. I don't mind paying that IF it is worth it. It's hard to know just looking on their websites, and reviews that are often quite old. :-)

Guest Guest12727
Lol, I had already seen the price. I don't mind paying that IF it is worth it. It's hard to know just looking on their websites, and reviews that are often quite old. :-)

Well, not only do they have the sommelier, but they also had 'les fruitieres' - a cheese waiter. The selection of cheeses was out of this world. This was the time we ordered off the menu, rather than the degustation, which we had the second time - with the top selection of wines. It was fantastic, the food, the service, the ambience - a truly memorable experience.

Hi Blossom - hope I can help as I consider this an area of expertise ;)

My partner and I did Georges on Waymouth Friday just gone - they do a 5 course degustation (they refer to it as a Tasting Menu) which is $85 per person, plus $40 ish - I think - per person to add matching wines. If you have an Entertainment Card, you get $35 off the total bill. We are big degustation fans and will often seek out this kind of menu for our birthdays etc or for a special meal whilst travelling. George's was fabulous - good value and every course was delicious. We had a sugar cured ocean trout, zucchini flowers, gnocchi (amazing), pressed lamb then a beautiful fig and goats cheese tart for dessert.

Mantra on King William Road, Goodwood did AMAZING degustations - but sadly they closed about a year ago. A great new restaurant called Faraja opened in the same building - which is great value tapas type share options - but not a proper degustation.

I recently also tried Celsius on two occasions with Groupon type vouchers and wasn't at all impressed. The w*nk factor was high and the food - whilst very good - had no wow factor whatsoever on either occasion. Glad I didn't pay full price.

d'Arenberg in McLaren Vale does a degustation and I've only ever heard rave reviews, but not tried that one myself yet.

The Apothecary on Hindley St does great food but don't think they do an actual degustation per se.

Will post anymore I can think of, but can't think of others I've done in Adelaide. Let us know what you pick!

Oh also just thought of a few more places that do tasting menus / degustations - Bistro Dom on Waymouth St I believe does 5 courses for $70, Hentley Farm in the Barossa does a couple of options - pricey but looks amazing and I've heard wonderful things about it - think they only open once a month on a Friday night.

And on a non-degustation but 'posh restaurant recommendation' note - some current/recent fave special dinner spots of mine include Eden on the marina in Glenelg (in the entertainment book), Giallo in Kent Town and The Sauce in Dulwich also does a tasting menu - not structured degustation as such, but definitely worth having a look at. Happy dining!

Well really, I would have thought you could go to any branch of Macca's or Hungry Jacks for that sort of thing.... Oh. You said degustation - I thought you said disgusting. My bad...:biglaugh:

• 4 months later...