Why?

srg73

Surely this has to be the most commonly used word or thought whilst going through the whole immigration process. I know that we have put ourselves through the visa process simply to open doors and give us the opportunity to enjoy one of life's little adventures and hopefully a better standard of living however I have asked why on many occasions. I'm not doubting what we have done but simply ask why to ensure it is the correct choice and not an impulsive decision which I can be prone to making sometimes.

What single word would you use to summarise your thoughts?

S

Guest ColinOz

Why Adelaide? My IELTS was not good enough :huh:. in a single word: IELTS

Why Australia? I had to learn french to apply for Canada :tongue: , in a single word: lazyness

Why move to another country? After living for 30 years in the same country I was getting bored :confused:, in a single word: boredom

Edited by ColinOz

Why Adelaide? My IELTS was not good enough :huh:. in a single word: IELTS

Hang on, hang on! Are you saying we're getting sent migrants that aren't good enough for the other states??? Some kind of second class state are we now?! Bloomin' cheek!!!! (which is where my tongue is firmly inserted, in case you wondered!)

:wink:

Diane, we ended up in SA because my husband's job wasn't any other skills list for state sponsorship but when it actually came to it we decided that it was nice not to have the choice and that Adelaide was probably the best place for us anyway. So we are a default family but happy with that status.

And a one word answer is so tricky when you've spent 18 months or more giving people lists of reasons to justify your move. For us part of it was to show our children the world is bigger than one country and to (hopefully) give them a sense of adventure.

Guest ColinOz
Hang on, hang on! Are you saying we're getting sent migrants that aren't good enough for the other states??? Some kind of second class state are we now?! Bloomin' cheek!!!! (which is where my tongue is firmly inserted, in case you wondered!)

:wink:

VIC asks for 7.0 in all bands while SA Asks for 6.5 in all bands, I would like to know if there's any difference between the English used in VIC and the English used here :biglaugh:. and it was also because my nominated profession was only on VIC's and SA's list.

Family.

More specifically my OH's family. He's from Adelaide and after 13 years living in the UK near my family it was time to live near his family.

ditto the above, but that was not the only reason. Husband wanted the kids to enjoy their childhood/teenage years in the sunshine by the beach, as he had done.

We realise now though that our kids will never have quite the same relationship with their Australian family as with their British one, who were around when they were little, even though we brought them to Adelaide for holidays. Maybe with the grandparents but certainly not with aunties, uncles and cousins (in fact they don't like or get on with 3 of their cousins who treated them quite horribly right from the moment we arrived, with what I can only conclude was jealousy). As they say you can chose your friends but you can't chose your family!