Growing veggies

Guest the4hopes

Hi Laura,

yes you will be able to grow your veggies here. All the old houses used to have fruit trees and veggie plots in the back garden. Italian migrants also used to grow them in their front gardens as well, but not many gardens like this are left. Needless to say their Australian born children turned their noses up at such practice.

Oranges, mandarins and grapes do well here, almonds and soft stone fruits do well, but cherries need the cooler temps in the hills. One house we lived in had this old apricot tree, over this courtyard at the back and there was so much fruit you could never pick it all and it used to ripen and dribble off. The birds loved it. Strawberries do well too.

Pretty much all the veggies you grow in England will grow here. You might like to keep a chook or two, cos there is nothing like a freshly laid egg. They are not hard to look after.

Rachel

Guest thelincolns

Very interesting

Rachel- you are such a mine of info- can I ask how you obtain the seeds for you fav salads and herbs? Can you find the sort of varieties you can get here- I would also like to grow my salad and herbs such as basil, flat leaf parsley, coriander, mint, tarragon etc

I am Italian and know exactly what you mean- my parents have a lovely lemon tree in their front garden. Can this stuff attract spiders by the way :wacko::err:

Cheers Rachel

Hi Rachel,

You can get packets of seeds or seedlings from garden stores, sometimes supermarkets and this chain called Bunnings where men drift off down the aisles of hardware, tools DIY n stuff while you load as many plants as possible into the trolley in the garden department. You can also get all those English herbs, and also asian ones. My daughter is growing some funny looking carrots, some celery and some snowpeas at the mo. Lemon trees also do really well here and you could follow family tradition and plant one with some tomatos around it, for old times sake.:):biglaugh:

Guest thelincolns

Hi Rachel

I closed my msg thanking you-hence the "Cheers Rachel"-but my name is Gabriella :embarrassed::biglaugh:

sorry for the misunderstanding- but thanks for the reply!!! :cute:

I am dreaming of all my pots of herbs already (bit soon I know...:wacko: just can't help myself) Just worried of attracting the deadly crawlies though

Guest the4hopes

Hi Rachel.

Thanks for the info, thats nice to know. We've just given up our allotment, mind you last year was a complete washout, too much rain!!! Although we did have more lettuces than we could eat!

Laura x