Good Australian TV shows (yes there are some!)

Anne B

The general viewpoint seems to be that Australian TV is pretty poor. However there are some gems, so maybe people can recommend their favourite Australian TV shows;

If you like football (soccer) there is a very funny show called Sam Santo and Ed. Unfortunately it is on Fox Sports now so you need Foxtel to watch it (I think it is 7pm on Mondays). They review the weeks matches, mainly A-league but also international matches too. If you were thinking there isn't much good Australian comedy on TV hopefully this show will change your mind. It was essential viewing during the last world cup.

There was also a very funny show on ABC called Upper Middle Bogan. It has finished now so look out for the next series (hopefully there will be one).

Edited by Anne B

There are some occasional part decent shows but nothing really memorable, and I am swayed by which channel it is on, because as xzibit says with all the adverts it makes it unenjoyable to watch. the newish free to air channels 72, 90, 99 etc. tend to be a little better on the adverts and also show more UK stuff. Also the way they do things is annoying, like a 'blockbuster two hour special' and its just 2 back to back episodes, and 'on at a special time' and it's just on at a different time! they also change days and times without advising of such. No to mention the coverage of the Olympics! two channels showing the exact same thing at the same time, do they not realise that here are dozens of other sports going on at the same time?

Any way whinge over and now back to the op question, the last series of Australian Amazing Race was better than I expected and would even say it had an edge on the American one.

Gruen Planet. I also really like the Clarke and Daw (spelling?) sketch before the 7:00pm ABC news every Thursday, but I don't think it really counts as it only lasts a couple of minutes.

The kids have been watching A League of Their Own, which they think is hilarious. They have also enjoyed Masterchef and Recipe to Riches. And if you are in to gaming Good Game and Good Game SP (for kids) is pretty good.

I agree that there some gems out there if you look, although everyone has different tastes and one mans excellent TV is another mans garbage. There have been a couple of others that we have enjoyed but I can't think what they are at the moment. We don't watch anything live though. We have a PVR with two tuners so always record everything and then watch it later so we can fast forward the ads.

Guest Guest12727

Good Aussie shows - there are some real gems

Drama - The Time of our Lives, 1st series was great and waiting for the second. Redfern Now (currently showing), Rake (second series recently finished)

Comedy - Gruen Transfer / Planet, The Hamster Wheel (Satirical)

We mostly watch ABC (no ads) and Foxtel - we record everything and fast forward ads.

Guest Guest75

I like some of the Aussie historical dramas, interesting to find out more of this countries rich but short history.

We DO NOT sit throught the ads though.

Downloaded via sites where the ads are chopped.

We get all the latest UK dramas as well - all online but not allowed to mention where and how apparently???

Had a bit part as an extra in a locally made historical drama recently.

Called "Anzac Girls" - set in WW1.

A lot was filmed in and around Adelaide - you would not believe it though!

I palyed a French orderly carryng wounded into a field hospital.

Great fun and attention to detail.

I'm trying and as yet failing to get into watching any TV here. I think I've sat through a movie or two shown on TV and rolled my eyes at the amount of ad breaks (making a 2 hour movie unbearably long).

I'd like to give some home grown shows a go but found the DWTS too garish and didn't have a clue who anyone was. Caught another remodel of some cooking show also and found that a bit OTT for my liking. There was one show I liked but I've no clue of its name and I only caught the last 10 minutes.

I guess we'll just keep on doing what we do to watch TV series and use things like Netflix and so on and watch them as and when we feel like it.

I also struggle to get to grips with how the start times are so random and also how they bump stuff or it starts late and runs late and so I miss the end or something if I record it. Now setting the timer longer. Much longer.

Thankfully TV was never a big thing for us and so I've not missed it much at all. iPlayer is also an option for us which is good.

Might give some of the shows mentioned on this thread a go if I can find them to record or watch.

Edited by snifter

Upper Middle Bogan and Date Night were both really funny, Redfern Now is also extremely good and I'll second Rake although I've only seen the second series. Oh - and Q&A is quite good for working out what's going on in politics in a "Daily Mail" kind of way. And At The Movies with the two old people is pretty good for letting me know what I'm missing at the cinema.

There was a drama on on Sunday nights a while ago but the timing was just wrong so I didn't watch although the trailers I saw every week made it look good (we now have Fetch TV so I won't have to miss out anymore).

As other have said though it's definitely the adverts that really spoil TV here and they still do that really annoying thing of making them louder than the programme so I'm turning into my Dad and muting them while I mutter at the telly!

Edited by flossybeth

I liked John Safran and also loved The Chaser. Alas that isn't made anymore that I know of. The guys involved in The Chaser are doing something called The Hamster Wheel which I would like to find and see if its any good.

Craig from The Chaser is doing this at the moment http://www.abc.net.au/tv/programs/shock-horror-aunty/ - although it's really about past ABC programmes which msot of us migrants probably have never heard of - I was amazed last week at how recently really racist and homophobic stuff got shown! They also used to have something similar to Spitting Image called Rubbery Faced Puppets or something like that, which I really think we could do with again now! Was listening to the most irritating voice in politics (Christopher Pyne) this morning and imagining the field day Spitting Image would have with him!

Yes I saw Shock Horror Aunty and it was an interesting record of Australian cultural history. I can't believe the fuss that a painted belly button caused, or the outrage at the first televising of the Sydney Gay Mardi Gras in 1994. I just happened to be in Sydney when it was on in 1992 and went along to watch. The audience was a total cross section of the community, families, grandparents, tourists, gay and straight, all enjoying themselves, it just shows how out of step some politicians are with the rest of society.

The Chasers were funny (especially when they entered the Turkish Embassy in a wooden horse!).

Aurora is a community channel on Foxtel and has some great 4x4 driving programs with Roothy - so Australian!

I agree with Diane about Christopher Pyne's annoying voice!

Guest GillArch

Gruen Planet - agree with NikF - excellent prog - a level of honest critique that you would never get in the UK. I also like some Of the more alternative comedy series, such as Strange Calls & for pure mindless escapism/eye-candy - watched Wonderland.

I like some of the Aussie historical dramas, interesting to find out more of this countries rich but short history.

We DO NOT sit throught the ads though.

Downloaded via sites where the ads are chopped.

We get all the latest UK dramas as well - all online but not allowed to mention where and how apparently???

Had a bit part as an extra in a locally made historical drama recently.

Called "Anzac Girls" - set in WW1.

A lot was filmed in and around Adelaide - you would not believe it though!

I palyed a French orderly carryng wounded into a field hospital.

Great fun and attention to detail.

Wow!!!You must have impressed the Movie Producer Russell!Hugh Jackman was very disappointed he didn't get the role you so deservedly won as Captain Haddock!!:wink:

Guest Guest75
Wow!!!You must have impressed the Movie Producer Russell!Hugh Jackman was very disappointed he didn't get the role you so deservedly won as Captain Haddock!!:wink:

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Went further than that, I even had some directorial input ( well those who know me know I just cannot keep my trap shut).

I had to prove that you cannot put a stretcher down backwards - only facing the stretcher.

The director did accept this so I did it my / the safe way :cute::cute:

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Went further than that, I even had some directorial input ( well those who know me know I just cannot keep my trap shut).

I had to prove that you cannot put a stretcher down backwards - only facing the stretcher.

The director did accept this so I did it my / the safe way :cute::cute:

Hahaha!!:biglaugh:I've got visions of you chasing around No Mans Land now,the pedantic OH&S Rep,rollicking the Stretcher Bearers as the Enemy die laughing!!!

h

Packed to the Rafters, Winners and losers, Wonderland, Home and away( I aint kidding) all good dramas. I don't think the TV is that bad, maybe ive just gone native. Body of Proof is brilliant but its American!

The news is good - except when it's bad news of course! ABC is best, no adverts.

We like "A Current Affair" because it exposes crooks, bullies and charlatans and stands up for the little people. Unfortunately it has adverts, but you can't win them all