What ever happened to..........................

Keith & Linda

Just thought I would add this thread after talking at work about sweets (lollies) and I mentioned 'Spangles' and I do not know what happened to them! but there must be lots of things, people and places that have quietly passed by the wayside, like another poster asked about our dear persistent 'Ali' and was it Kiwipom who wanted, from some strange and unknown reason, to know if there were any Lancastrians?

What about 'Dainty Bars' whatever happened to them? What about 'milk' you know the stuff you used to get off the milkman because that was it, Milk or Goldtop!

Please feel free add your answers, comments and queries.

D'you remember the bottles of milk that used to get delivered to the doorstep, and in the winter the milk would freeze and the silver top would be hovering at the top of a pillar of frozen milk? And on the other days the bluetits would get to it first and peck their way through the top for a drink?

I remember spangles too, but no idea what happened to them! Probably got a makeover and new name like Opal Fruits...

Guest Guest75
Spangles .. now that brings back memories ... my childhood doctor used to have them in a jar on his desk and would give you one every time you saw him! lol

How many years did the doc get for that......????:biglaugh:

Sorry had to crack the funny some thought............:tongue:

I bloody hate Spangles.......... nearly choked on one once......:arghh::swoon::swoon:

How many years did the doc get for that......????:biglaugh:

Sorry had to crack the funny some thought............:tongue:

I bloody hate Spangles.......... nearly choked on one once......:arghh::swoon::swoon:

That's your answer about what happened to Spangles.... a law suit from Mr Tyke put them out of business after he nearly choked on one! :biglaugh:

I grew up with Spangles and those immitation sweet cigarettes!!!

Just read this out to my OH and he says that the term "lollies" for all sweets in Australia isn't as good as the term "Spogs". He reckons that Tyke the Yokshireman will be familiar with spogs!!!:biglaugh:

Tamara

Guest Guest75
That's your answer about what happened to Spangles.... a law suit from Mr Tyke put them out of business after he nearly choked on one! :biglaugh:

I grew up with Spangles and those immitation sweet cigarettes!!!

Just read this out to my OH and he says that the term "lollies" for all sweets in Australia isn't as good as the term "Spogs". He reckons that Tyke the Yokshireman will be familiar with spogs!!!:biglaugh:

Tamara

Locally ( I mean like a few suburbs of Leeds) the dialect and words can change......... Sweets were "Spanish" in our neck of the woods but do know the name Spog.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, I posted this thread and then left the country for a few weeks, so catching up now. Most of the sweets mentioned can be found at Blackeby's sweet shops, there is one in the city, Modbury and Hallet Cove according to the Google search. There is also a sweet shop in Hahndorf which has quite a good selection too, including Black Jacks Ktee. But alas, you will not find them on the penny, t'penny or the more expensive threp'ny trays anymore:sad:.

Spangles, for those who have not lived through the good times, were boiled sweets of various flavour's, they were about 2/3inch square by about 1/4inch thick came in packets about 4inch long ( converting from old money that is 20mm square by 6mm thick, and 100mm long) and they just seemed to have disappeared off the shelves for some as yet to me, unknown reason (tyke :arghh:)

Never heard of 'spog' (even google could not find it related to Yorkshire/sweets) heard of 'sprog' which meant baby, as in giving birth 'dropped a sprog'. Spanish to me was the hard type of licorice, talking of which, what about the licorice root you could chew on until it became a stringy soggy type of fly swat or face slap?

Whilst we were in England at Xmas, we had a look in at Ludlow, and there were 2 butchers shops there which had rabbits and pheasants hanging up outside the shop, and a butchers bike too, will try and post the photo's, but haven't seen that for many years.

Anybody know what happened to Dick Emery? or Lonnie Donnigan? The oracle, my mother, could not enlighten me on them.

Like Keith, Spanish to us usually referred to liquorice but could, at a pinch, mean sweets generally. In our neck of the woods (Manchester, the proper side of the Pennines - now I've started something :tongue:), spog referred to chewing gum, and was more usually called spoggy.

If my history lessons were correct, I believe you red roses started something once before, but the white roses soon put you in your places:tongue:.

Have a nice day Jim.

Keith

Guest Guest75
Like Keith, Spanish to us usually referred to liquorice but could, at a pinch, mean sweets generally. In our neck of the woods (Manchester, the proper side of the Pennines - now I've started something :tongue:), spog referred to chewing gum, and was more usually called spoggy.

Oi!!!! :policeman:

"What's the best thing to come out of Lancashire...................The road to Yorkshire...............":cute::cute: