Stopover or Not?

Guest caoimhe

Guest caoimhe

From the start of our immigration journey my O/H and I have been sure that when the time comes we want to fly straight to Adelaide, no messing about just get started on our new life.

Yesterday our 10 yr old asked how long the journey was and after explaining the few hours stop over somewhere in Asia he becoame really excited and begged us to have a few days stop in Hong Kong so am wondering what others have done.

Just interested in the good and bad points of staying somewhere on the way, the cost of hotels etc. Personally I still think I would like to just go straight to Adelaide but am wondering is it not a great chance for the kids to experience a different culture (I have already been to the far east so maybe that's why it doesn't excite me as much) also God knows when we will get the chance to have a holiday again

So if anyone already out there has any opinion I would love to hear them, ideas on hotels, things to do and rough costs

Thanks all

Guest alibongo

Strange that you wrote this thread. We are just planning when to go out. it should be end of june for me and my daughter and end of July for my OH and son. son has said he would likea 2 night stopover in Hong Kong or similar and OH hasnt said no yet.!! So my daughter and I are thinking of going to India for a couple of nights (I have a sister inlaw in Goa!)

before that I thought like you ..just wanted to get there and get on with it..but I think if finances will allow it I think we may have a few nights else where..

Oh well Good luck with your research..

Ali

My thoughts are, to have a stop over somewhere. I had 15 hours in Singapore and booked the transit bedroom for 12. Both my son and I slept solid for those 12 hours and we felt much better for it.

If you can, have a couple of days in HK, Singapore or where you choose. Its well worth it, just to experience another culture and see the sights. I'd think of it as a mini break, time to relax before the rat race of getting things sorted once you've landed in Adelaide.

After all the stress of getting your visa, packing, moving house, quitting jobs, I think you owe it to yourself to let your hair down for a few days and be a family.

Good luck with the move

Judi x

Guest Leanne & Mark

If our ££'s allow it we are going the other way and having some time in the states.:jiggy:..it will be a while before we can afford again i think.

If you have never done the trip a stopover is really nice, doesn't cost much more at all and is a great chance to see a new place. I would say to make the most of the stop you need 2-3 days there.

We came straight through as we have done the stopover before and we had so much luggage I couldn't face dealing with it all in transit.

I would say stop over because once youget here your money will be tied up for a while settling in and travel here is not as cheap as in the UK, especially if you have to pay for everyone. I took my 2 daughters to Melbourne in the summer and flights there, train back plus accommodation cost about $2500, then money spent while we were there(lots of shopping to be had in Melbourne). This may sound cheap but to take the family away is actually quite a chunk out of our normal operating budget. A trip to Singapore for 4 would be about $10000, so as you're on the way a stop over would be much cheaper and you've probably earned it.

Guest The Pottertons

Definitely have a stopover if your budget allows. It will give the kids a break from the travelling and a chance to see a bit of the world! WE are definitely. Just dont know where, heard you can stop off in the Seychelles- Now we're talking!!!:biglaugh: Yvonne x

We flew in 2006 to Brisbane with a small transit in Japan & then migrated to Adelaide in 2007 with a stop-over in Singapore.

The latter was by far the better option, we were all still jet lagged, but Singapore airlines were brilliant vs JAL, easier with the children who also enjoyed the sights Singapore had to offer.

Good luck

Guest ben.karen

Hi

It might be worth checking whether a longer stop off means that you forfeit the double baggage allowance that you are granted if you are emmigrating - a stop off would be great, but you could get an awful lot of extra stuff to take to Adelaide immediately, and help you settle in better (and possibly save money) by using the extra luggage allowance (especially with a large family)

Good luck

Guest macu68

Hi

Went to Adelaide a few years ago now but had a 2 night stopover in Singapore. It was great, really cheap. I booked via travelmood who were fantastic, gave me lots of options for stopovers and hotels. I called them and they chopped and changed things with no complaints a few times before i booked. I stayed in the Grand Copthorne which was nice and added £68 to my stopover flight bill. Worth giving them a ring to see what they can do for you 08709 903117.

Guest DianeJ
Hi

It might be worth checking whether a longer stop off means that you forfeit the double baggage allowance that you are granted if you are emmigrating - a stop off would be great, but you could get an awful lot of extra stuff to take to Adelaide immediately, and help you settle in better (and possibly save money) by using the extra luggage allowance (especially with a large family)

Good luck

Hi ,

Was thinking of doing a stopover in Singapore, but then thought about how many suitcases we could take. As a family of 5 the thought of heaving 10 suitcases fills me with dread. As you say do you forfeit the extra allowance?

Diane

Guest taffgmg

We got married in Adelaide a few years ago and did a stop over on the way back with Malaysian Airways. We got free flights from KL to Penang and 4 nights in a 4 star hotel on the beach for something like £200. (2004)

The last time we went out we did a 3 night stopover in Hong Kong. Definitely worth a visit but not particularly pushchair friendly. Radisson hotel cost us about £60/night (2006)

Guest caoimhe
Hi

Good luck

Thanks for the thought but we are only on a temp visa so not intitled to the extra baggage allowance

hi jac know how you feel about stoppin off along the way listening too everyone else seems a good idea to do it but to me am sitting on the fence.

We both have 4 boys so got to be good for them:)

maybe its a good thing to just fly on and get on with it because its such a long and stressful thing to do with the kids

BUT a holiday in between would be bloody great with all this bloody stress going on around us house,moving in with in-laws saying goodbye to our caravan, house(kids love it), friends, family,school, work etc.

feel like am on the big dipper in blackpool up-down-up-down at the moment:wacko:.

well we will just have to see how much we have got to have a lovely cool easy stop over.

fingers crossed:)

Guest Guzzler&Sas
Hi ,

Was thinking of doing a stopover in Singapore, but then thought about how many suitcases we could take. As a family of 5 the thought of heaving 10 suitcases fills me with dread. As you say do you forfeit the extra allowance?

Diane

Hi,

We stopped over for 4 nights packed one case for Singapore left the remainder at the airportc (not very expensive) and did not forfeit extra baggage allowance,

Guzzler

I am not sure if anybody has mentioned Jetlag on this thread.

In our experience, travelling back to England is relatively straight forward, but travelling to Aus and gaining those 8 or 10.5 hours, depending on the time of year, can really cause stress in your body clock.

If you are able to do a stopover, I would reccomend it, as it enables the body to get part straight before the traumas of sorting yourself out in a new country.

I would reccomend Singapore, especially with Singapore Airlines, as they give you free transits into the city from the airport, a free bus to travel around the city and a book of vouchers to use, which gives free entry to certain attractions. It is also a very user friendly oriental city, which if you have'nt experienced the far east, is well worth the experience,

Hi There

We didnt stop over at all when we visited in March. We have 2 kids and it was okay. we were quickly off then back on the plane and we were fairly lucky that the kids were really good and slept. ( With the help of Phenergen) But have reccomended to family and friends who will eventually visit us when we move to stop over. Cos even though it doesnt stop any jet lag. You will feel refreshed for the second leg of the flight. My only concern with kids if they have slept most of the flight they ae going to want entertaining during the stop over and not sleep and Im going to be more knackered.

Like Leanne and Marck we are going via LA on our return and stay for 5 days and I ve been checking out another stop off in Fuji (my dream) then on to our new life However house sale pending. So far flight prices are really good but Im worried to book it and we cant afford it when Jan comes cos the bloody house is still not sold. ARGH:arghh:

Kimberley x

Guest DianeJ
Hi,

We stopped over for 4 nights packed one case for Singapore left the remainder at the airportc (not very expensive) and did not forfeit extra baggage allowance,

Guzzler

Hi Guzzler,

Thanks for the info, looks like we'll be stopping over at Singapore then!

Diane