The nightmare departure is underway!

TonyD

Well, we knew it was going to be hard saying goodbye to our loved ones but nothing can prepare you for the heart-wrenching feelings when it comes to actually doing it, it was truly painful. We thought it would get easier from there......WRONG!

After spending a full day saying our goodbyes we got to our empty home and started to pack. After completing the pack our cheapo Asda scales bottomed out at 34kg, B*GGER! anyways, never to mind, get ourselves on t'interweb and book in our excess baggage (£240) - we then saw on the website in the small-print that each case could not weigh more than 32kg! Anyway, after a 6am trip to Tesco for another suitcaseand a complete unpack/repack, our cr*ppy Asda scales now told us we were actually a grand total of of 20kg over! We tried to get online again to take advantage of the online excess discount of 30% but was told "No - You've done it once so you'llhave to pay the full wack at the airport" - double b*gger!

So with now being an hour late for the airport we arrived to a huge queue and was looking at which baggage handler had the kindest looking face and would take pity on us...............we quickly realised that "the Emirates Dragon" on desk 43, with a face like thunder, was looking our likely downfall - but then, akin to divine intervention, desk 44 opened up and a cheery face greeted us! we explained our dilemmas and anguish and our urgent need for an airport pint she took pity on us and let our excess on for nowt! result!

Anyhow, after a shazlouD security scare wit her hand luggage (which we never got to the bottom of even after 3 scans on the belt!) we now have in our hand that pint and it tastes bloody good!

Next stope Adelaide! (well Dubai for an hour and half first!)

Its finally real - cant wait to get there now - No-one ever said it was going to be easy, we've tested that to the extreme!

TonyD and ShazlouD

Oh dear, makes it worth it when you arrive. I had the panic of bag juggling before we flew and it's not fun, then the taxi kept breaking down on the way to the airport and then there was no record of the seats we had booked (qantas email disappeared in cyberspace). makes it a funny start to the new beginning once you have got through it all.

We said our last teary goodbyes to my parents as they waved us off at Heathrow, only to get right to the last bit of going through customs when one of the customs officers took offence that my OH was carrying his suit separately in a suit bag. We had previously checked and the airline had told us that was fine to do that, but the customs officer had a real issue with it, so we were sent back to repack it into one of our suitcases. We walked back out and my parents were still there and we said "we are back". We then repacked and said all our goodbyes again, as if once wasn't enough!

Well, we made it! it was a relatively stress-free flight and no hiccups, now settled in our new home in Brompton and it is so quiet it is unreal! lovely little area and we're within walking distance to the free tram....yippee! went for our first meal in Adelaide last night at Jolly's boathouse which was superb.........Baramundi is far better than haddock!

Thanks to all for your nice messages, really appreciated. I think we're gonna like it here, beautiful city and everyone we've met so far has been helpful and friendly.

Only downer is that I can't get my iphone working. I thought it was unblocked in the UK but it turns out it wasn't. I was on Virgin Mobile in the UK but none of the networks over here (including Virgin Mobile!) can unblock my iphone - If I was back in Oldham I could simply take it to a stall of loose morals on Oldham market who would charge me £20 for unlocking it but it appears that I can't get it done over here? if anyone can help I would be eternally grateful - I even went to the stall near KMart in West Lakes but she looked at it and said no!

Anyhow, enjoy the beautiful weather in this fantastic city and happy new year to you all.

TonyD & ShazlouD