Use emoticons------ forum etiquette.

Guest Guest75

Guest Guest75

Posters................ sometimes it helps to put a few emoticons ( smileys) in your posts to emphasize a point / ensure that readers see it is a post or comment in fun:biglaugh::cute::cute:

Guest Guest75
I don't think an emoticon always over-rides the written words. Care still needs to be taken in what is written.

But it helps to keep the mood light :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::wink:

Maybe it does help to keep the mood light, but not everyone reading is going to write or read the same as the next person. It takes all sorts. Sometimes words said can fall flat or hurt even with a heap of emoticons used. I've posted on many many forums in the past 15 years or so and have seen emoticons used to negative effect and how people hide their meanness behind them and sometimes use them as a cop out. Equally I've seen them used well.

We can't expect everyone to feel or do the same as you on this ;)

Guest Guest75
Maybe it does help to keep the mood light, but not everyone reading is going to write or read the same as the next person. It takes all sorts. Sometimes words said can fall flat or hurt even with a heap of emoticons used. I've posted on many many forums in the past 15 years or so and have seen emoticons used to negative effect and how people hide their meanness behind them and sometimes use them as a cop out. Equally I've seen them used well.

We can't expect everyone to feel or do the same as you on this ;)

Pointing out the use of emoticons goes some way to helping though.

Way I see, in general terms, is that if a person has to keep defending or justifying their use of them or telling others to use them more to get their meaning over, perhaps their use is not working as well as one might hope? Or perhaps the wording going with them is falling down somewhere? Or both. Or neither. Or something else entirely. Just my observations from 15 or so years forum posting.

Edited by snifter
Added a line of text

Guest Guest75

I've only just made the point about emoticons so I cannot possibly be seen as trying to defend myself.:cute:

Nearly 20 years online including Usenet and BBS groups........................:cute:

Guest Guest75
Tyke, I agree with you, but it should also be remembered not all phones, browsers and settings etc show all graphics, so what one posts is not always seen by a recipient.

That's a good point, I do wish all platforms and browsers were the same!!! <I've not used an emoticon in this post if you cannot see them>

Guest Guest75

Hey that is 4 world dominating forces that agree with me today!!!

,Microsoft,Apple,Google and You!:biglaugh::wink:

Edited by Guest75
Missed one world dominator!

Its a strange one, one forum we run the larger sister site is brilliant when it comes to using emoticons. However some of the smaller sites tend to use them to hide behind sly digs.

When a member reads a post it can be taken numerous ways. At one point I use to write a post, read it edit it, read it again, edit more and then check again to see if it would upset anyone, most of the time I would end up deleting because no matter how hard you tried the written word did not express your true feelings on a matter. I came to realise that it was a pointless task so now I write what is in my head at that time hoping people take it the right way.

I know me and the OH get in to a couple of arguments when sending texts to each other because they are read with a totally different meaning to what they are intended. I think its a case of trying to read everything in a more positive light.

Guest Guest75
Is it my imagination or are people getting more sensitive on here these days? So many 'innocent' comments seem to be pounced on by the PC brigade etc. and 'humorous' posts are subject to much lengthy criticism :rolleyes:

Aye appen'.

Some of us do take time to get to know posters on here and can "read" their posts,knowing if in jest or otherwise.

I wonder how many people joined in the last year and how many of those have posted more than 20 comments -Interesting!:wink:

I may not have clocked up my first 1000 (or even 7000) comments but 800+ shows I'm not a newcomer. Got most of the jokers sussed!:biggrin:

I still log in and read the new posts several times a week. Not so many retirees like us who need advice but i contribute when i can.:SLEEP:

As a newbie it can be really hard to just join in with a crowd of people on a forum who all seem to know each other or who appear established. Daunting, a bit intimidating even.

Sometimes they may feel more affinity toward other newer arrivals to posting or those who are yet to migrate than those longer standing or more established members or those already settled in Aus.

Newbies do join and post but often it's outside the chit chat stuff as they are trying to find migration info or advice, a place to live or some such. It doesn't always follow they'll feel comfortable or want to join in just chatting or cracking jokes. And after a while it can become more of a thing and harder to make that jump.

It's a down side of forums, sometimes they can be as isolating as they are on the up side including. Not everyone is alike or copes with joining in and becoming part of a crowd or group. It's not a bad thing some members are quieter than others. Each to their own, there is no right or wrong in how people post.

As a newbie it can be really hard to just join in with a crowd of people on a forum who all seem to know each other or who appear established. Daunting, a bit intimidating even.

Sometimes they may feel more affinity toward other newer arrivals to posting or those who are yet to migrate than those longer standing or more established members or those already settled in Aus.

Each to their own, there is no right or wrong in how people post.

Very wise, Snifter :notworthy:

I know what you mean. I have sometimes thought that some newbs seemed to pay more attention to the reccie-and-teo-weeks-in-loving-it members than some of the more established (sounds soooo much better than 'older' lol!) ones but I just thought that's nice. Maybe a bit ill-advised sometimes but hey, when most experiences are personal and most advice is going to be subjective does it matter? I actually think the forum is as much for making connections as advice.... I remember how disconcerting it was to land in a new place, knowing no one and no where!

Back to the emoticon issue, seems to me everyone is saying pretty much the same thing. Emoticons are good but no guarantee that people will read the post the way the poster intended. I reckon people are fooling themselves if they think they can post something ean or pointed, pop a 'smile' on the end of it and will fool the reader.

I think we could do with some chill pills on the forum sometimes though :wubclub:!

LC

Is it my imagination or are people getting more sensitive on here these days? So many 'innocent' comments seem to be pounced on by the PC brigade etc. and 'humorous' posts are subject to much lengthy criticism :rolleyes:
No,it's not just your imagination jtct!:shocked:How can a perfectly innocuous post by the original poster get so many people over sensitive?Blimey O Reilly!!!:biglaugh::smile:

Very wise, Snifter :notworthy:

I know what you mean. I have sometimes thought that some newbs seemed to pay more attention to the reccie-and-teo-weeks-in-loving-it members than some of the more established (sounds soooo much better than 'older' lol!) ones but I just thought that's nice. Maybe a bit ill-advised sometimes but hey, when most experiences are personal and most advice is going to be subjective does it matter? I actually think the forum is as much for making connections as advice.... I remember how disconcerting it was to land in a new place, knowing no one and no where!

Back to the emoticon issue, seems to me everyone is saying pretty much the same thing. Emoticons are good but no guarantee that people will read the post the way the poster intended. I reckon people are fooling themselves if they think they can post something ean or pointed, pop a 'smile' on the end of it and will fool the reader.

I think we could do with some chill pills on the forum sometimes though :wubclub:!

LC

O for sure with you on the subjective LC.

I just know it can be hard to make the jump from posting a hello post or asking a few migration Q's to actually then joining in with a bunch of people nattering like they all know each other well in a chat thread in the Barbie section. Even I still don't really venture too often into doing that and I've been on here a fair few years now :huh: Sure some do, but its not a transition everyone can make, nor I realise does everyone want to.

I have met 2 people off this forum so far, both of whom have been lovely. Good company and I hope to see them both again. I didn't really know them that well in type before hand though. But definitely this forum helped build a bridge into us getting us to meet :) I hope to meet a few more also as time goes on but its not a major must do on my list of things, but it'd be nice if it were to happen. I don't really do the group thing so we won't venture to forum meet ups (also hubby being an Aussie and all that doesn't feel the need for any of that, which I can understand). I'm making friends of my own which is good.

I still find this forum useful and helpful and hope to keep on giving back to it for a long while yet. Although atm am spending a fair bit of time in settling in to our new life, I do check in daily and post when I can :)

As for emoticons, yup, that. You said it far more succinctly than I :cute: I'm a bit verbose :wideeyed:

I like the emoticons, there are some "cheeky" people on here in a good way. But it does take a bit of time to "get" some people's humour. I love this one :tongue: which kinds of put "some" people in their place if they are being a bit "outrageous" and again I mean this for those people who are doing that in a fun way. I also like to use the smile if I am saying something in a joking way. I know people do take a "dig" at people but if they use a "smiley" then I always assume that they are joking about it so it goes over my head. :err: So I am not sure that the "digger" will get a lot out of that.

Guest Guest75
I like the emoticons, there are some "cheeky" people on here in a good way. But it does take a bit of time to "get" some people's humour. I love this one :tongue: which kinds of put "some" people in their place if they are being a bit "outrageous" and again I mean this for those people who are doing that in a fun way. I also like to use the smile if I am saying something in a joking way. I know people do take a "dig" at people but if they use a "smiley" then I always assume that they are joking about it so it goes over my head. :err: So I am not sure that the "digger" will get a lot out of that.

Oooh dear - you need a bit of everything then..............:tongue::tongue::biglaugh::biglaugh::wink::wink::eek::huh::goofy::shocked:

I can feel the thwack to the back of my head coming...........................:wubclub:

Oooh dear - you need a bit of everything then..............:tongue::tongue::biglaugh::biglaugh::wink::wink::eek::huh::goofy::shocked:

I can feel the thwack to the back of my head coming...........................:wubclub:

All I can say then is :tongue::tongue::tongue: etc etc...perhaps even another etc:tongue:.you get the gist...:wink:

Edited by Toni
added an etc and emoticon! :-)

Guest Guest75
All I can say then is :tongue::tongue::tongue: etc etc...perhaps even another etc:tongue:.you get the gist...:wink:

Yuk! - Gist:eek::swoon:

I must be a sadist - mind you I am always in the poo - just the depth that varies!!!

Btw (that means By The Way), notice that most of us don't use "text talk" in here (LOL / 4 /U and so on).

BBtw ( Bye the way yet again) - if at any time someone does not understand a joke or anything - just ask - open forum or PM,no probs.:smile: