Always carry your licence with you

Diane

... or you'll get a $235 fine! In Tasmania, you'd get a $50 fine for the same thing, in Queensland you'd be given 24 hours to take it into the police station. But here in rip-off SA if you just nip out and forget to pick up your purse... $235 thank you very much - even if you offer to take the policeman home with you to show it to him!

Didn't happen to me, but to someone close to me and I'm pi**ed off on their behalf!

I was shocked a few weeks back when someone in Queensland left their car window slightly ajar and got fined. Not sure how it works if you are driving a convertible and I'm really not sure why it affects the police at all. Insurance company would be a different matter because obviously your car isn't secure but to get fined over it :unsure:http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/2014/01/03/11/21/queenslander-cops-fine-for-open-window

I was shocked a few weeks back when someone in Queensland left their car window slightly ajar and got fined. Not sure how it works if you are driving a convertible and I'm really not sure why it affects the police at all. Insurance company would be a different matter because obviously your car isn't secure but to get fined over it :unsure:http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/2014/01/03/11/21/queenslander-cops-fine-for-open-window

That is simply bizarre.

Examples of lunatic laws aside, it really is time that some consistency applied over here. States would manage to keep their identities (whatever than means) even if common rules and penalties existed, instead of the seemingly arbitrary and invariably different ways of tackling the same things which is currently the case. Everything, from health and safety laws to whether you get any money back on empty bottles, is determined by different sets of bureaucrats each being paid to draft solutions to the same problems and each doing it in isolation.

And another little known law here is that it is an offence to have any part of your body outside of the car, so if you like your window open and rest your elbow on the frame as you're driving along.....

Actually I guess most rules make some sort of sense if you try really hard, but when you get someone in Victoria (an MP I think it was) getting a $60 fine for drink driving, and yet we in SA get clobbered with huge fines for comparatively minor offences... especially if you were to work out the average salary here compared to in some of the other states ... it really leaves a sour taste in the mouth.

... or you'll get a $235 fine! .... But here in rip-off SA if you just nip out and forget to pick up your purse... $235 thank you very much - even if you offer to take the policeman home with you to show it to him!

Didn't happen to me, but to someone close to me and I'm pi**ed off on their behalf!

See

http://www.lawstuff.org.au/sa_law/topics/cars-and-driving/licences

and

http://www.sa.gov.au/subject/Transport,+travel+and+motoring/Motoring/Drivers+and+licences/Driver%27s+licence+classes+and+conditions/Driver%27s+licence+classes

Neither indicate a licence must be carried unless certain conditions apply.

Well that's about 30 minutes of my life I'll never get back! I can see where it specifically says a Learner Driver has to carry his/her licence at all times, but nothing about anyone else! Can you point me in the direction of what the 'certain conditions' are? :wubclub:

Well that's about 30 minutes of my life I'll never get back! I can see where it specifically says a Learner Driver has to carry his/her licence at all times, but nothing about anyone else! Can you point me in the direction of what the 'certain conditions' are? :wubclub:
[h=4]Carrying your licence[/h]

If you hold a:

• learner's permit
  • provisional licence
  • probationary licence
  • a licence that allows you to drive and you are driving a vehicle with a GVM of greater than 4.5 tonnes
  • interstate or foreign licence.

You must carry your licence when driving and show it to a Police Officer when asked.- See more at:

http://mylicence.sa.gov.au/road-rules/the-drivers-handbook/obtaining-licence#sthash.UQPyHqzo.dpuf

We were talking about this the other day and I thought it would be a good idea if the DVLA equivalent were to issue two licenses (or a license in two halves) given that you (or rather I) use my driving license so frequently as ID I need to keep it in my purse but don't always take my purse out with me when driving. I know there might be fraud/theft issues but no more so than if I were to just leave my license in the car so I always had it with me when driving.

Carrying your licence

If you hold a:

• learner's permit
  • provisional licence
  • probationary licence
  • a licence that allows you to drive and you are driving a vehicle with a GVM of greater than 4.5 tonnes
  • interstate or foreign licence.

You must carry your licence when driving and show it to a Police Officer when asked.- See more at:

http://mylicence.sa.gov.au/road-rules/the-drivers-handbook/obtaining-licence#sthash.UQPyHqzo.dpuf

I was under that impression too. The other time you also have to carry it at all times is if you are using an overseas one. You also have to carry your passport when driving too (on an overseas licence).

I wonder how they would go appealing this ticket?

Guest Claire-n-tel
I was under that impression too. The other time you also have to carry it at all times is if you are using an overseas one. You also have to carry your passport when driving too (on an overseas licence).

I wonder how they would go appealing this ticket?

I guess in court they would have to win an appeal, if this is the law how it is writen then the judge would not be able to find in favor of a fine that was given wrongly. I would definatly be putting in that appeal form!:wink:

Guest BradClark

Yes it can be a hassle at times to remember to carry it with you, but those fines can be painful and not everybody has the time to fill in court paperwork and show up for appeals. The Melbourne cops seem to have a bit more discretion when issuing tickets. Rural cops are good for this, but then if you are a local in a rural town everyone already knows everyone.

• 1 month later...

:err: How odd! Never heard of anyone being done for this but thank you for making us all aware.

I did find this on the Department of Transport website though:

Visitors in South Australia must observe the licence requirements of this state. You must carry your drivers licence with you at all times when you are driving - if your licence is not in English, you must carry an English translation. There is an on the spot fine for not having your licence with you. http://dpti.sa.gov.au/roadsafety/safe_road_users/visitors_to_SA

Could the confusion arise due to the term or use of a visitors licence (even interstate one's) vs a full South Australian licence?

I agree with others, I would appeal the fine if only on the issue of clarification.

Thinking further...

How many of you drove your car to the voting station today? The police would have made a motza if checking on driving licences at polling booths, I didn’t see anyone get out of a car with a purse! So if it is compulsory to carry your licence when driving why is it not necessary to show your ID (generally a drivers licence) when you have to compulsory vote?

What a ridiculous, money grabbing law if it is correct.

Just thought I'd update that it seems it is only when on P plates that you need to have your licence with you at all times (and if driving on a foreign licence I guess from ShouldIStay's post above) - so her own silly fault! If she'd only get herself organised to take her hazard awareness test and get off her P1s like she should have done about a year ago..... <sigh...teenagers....who'd have 'em!">

Thinking further...

How many of you drove your car to the voting station today? The police would have made a motza if checking on driving licences at polling booths, I didn’t see anyone get out of a car with a purse! So if it is compulsory to carry your licence when driving why is it not necessary to show your ID (generally a drivers licence) when you have to compulsory vote?

I said that to my partner. I went with him to vote and he didn't have any ID. I didn't think they'd let him vote but they did! He tried to change his address and couldn't do that without ID though. :-/

ps, I drove and always have my licence on me. ;-)

Guest Claire-n-tel
Thinking further...

But it order to vote you need to be a citizen and therefore would have an oz licence so don't need to carry it, well unless it is L's or P's

If she'd only get herself organised to take her hazard awareness test and get off her P1s like she should have done about a year ago..... <sigh...teenagers....who'd have 'em!">

O

M

G!

MY teen is exactly the same! I want him to get his full licence asap (I'm sure it'll work out better for our insurance) and to get that, whilst he needs to be 19 and held P's for a minimum of 2 years, 6 months of that needs to be on P2's and that clock is running out!!

I have lost count of the times I have offered to pay / go with him / vaguely imply him that his friend will get his full licence first...you name it: no go!

It wasn't this hard to get him to get his L's OR his P1!

And they say having littlies is challenging! Pfft!

:swoon: LC

Guest Claire-n-tel
O

M

G!

MY teen is exactly the same! I want him to get his full licence asap (I'm sure it'll work out better for our insurance) and to get that, whilst he needs to be 19 and held P's for a minimum of 2 years, 6 months of that needs to be on P2's and that clock is running out!!

I have lost count of the times I have offered to pay / go with him / vaguely imply him that his friend will get his full licence first...you name it: no go!

It wasn't this hard to get him to get his L's OR his P1!

And they say having littlies is challenging! Pfft!

:swoon: LC

Hi LC :wubclub:

Tell him "i know you probably won't be able to do it/will fail it/won't get it first time like your sister......etc etc......ie threaten his testosterone and he'll be on it like a shot!

Guest Claire-n-tel
I guess the driving licence ....is nearly same size as a credit card.....seems better to stick it in the wallet alongside our other cards and maybe avoid these horrendous fines...

Yes Adaobijoy it is the same as a credit card so most people do carry it in their wallet but i think the point was if you pop out without your wallet/bag ie run to get kids from school etc. If you hold a full Oz licence you don't have to legally carry it anyway....:biggrin:

I ALWAYS carry my cards, but the one time I wore a dress and forgot them (while on a uk licence so having to carry it) a police car was driving behind me. I knew it flashed up on their system that I don't have a licence linked to the car so was just waiting to be pulled over (sods law n' all) but luckily I was fine. Lol.