Comforting words for theose worrying about making the move...

Lazy Cow

I totally understand why people look to the forum for reassurance but the advice given can rock you from rose-coloured optimism to rock-bottom pessimism and, IMO, is too subjective to base life decisions on.

So, I thought I'd say this :

Be prepared financially and mentally. Be sure all adults really want to uproot themselves. Come with a positive, and can-do attitude. Keep an open mind particularly in the early days when so much can feel unfamiliar.

I think worrying is part of the game, as is looking for someone to tell you you are doing the right thing and if it helps at all I reckon a huge proportion of us came here without a reccie, without rellies or friends here, without a job and without stacks of money? We did, 'cos we thought it might be fun and it has been.

:smile: LC

Don't know if any of that helps or if I've simply gone into waffle-mode but I'll be back at work in a couple of days so the forum will be safe again lol!

Oh and as for work, still just my opinion but..

Finding a job here can be as much down to luck and being in the right place, with the right attitude and even, by chance, talking to the right people as if you were job seeking in the UK. Some people are lucky and find something quickly and other people will try just as hard for ages and not find anything.

Great post LC and what people need to remember is that thankfully we are all different, what is right for one isn't right for another. If someone hates a suburb/area you may love it. Also remember Australia is a huge country, if you do come over and can't settle in a suburb, look at others or even look interstate. I think if I'd stayed in Melbourne I would have returned back to the UK, but I love where I am now! its my own little paradise. If people don't like it I don't feel the need to defend it as its their right to voice an opinion just as its my right to love the place.

Also I think when making the move you need to make allowances for yourself! the first few months you are hit with jet lag! emotional turmoil and being rushed off your feet trying to sort a house, Medicare, driving license, work. Once these few months are over is usually when the homesickness kicks in and things have calmed down, you have more time to think and you are out of holiday mode. I know plenty of people who have wanted to return back to the UK in the 3-6 month period, but they hung on and now 2 years later they absolutely love the place and never want to return.

Guest BradClark

I couldn't agree more. You just need to jump in with both feet and leave your hesitations behind. If you procrastinate you won't achieve anything. As for getting a job it all depends on attitude, who you know, industry and area (some states are harder to find work in than others). If all else fails and you are stuck there is always hospitality, businesses are always hungry for more employees.

Great thread!

I was worried coming out here to a degree, due to a lot of posts on here about declining economy and jobs few and far between. I got a job, in the field I wanted within 3 days - a large part of this was building connections before I got here, the rest was probably luck! I'd advise people to get on to HR people at companies you'd like to work for, agencies etc and just converse via email - let them know you are really keen on working for them, and try to make yourself appear as amenable and enthusiastic is possible.

Some companies and people won't even offer you the courtesy of a reply - I think that says more about them than you! Those that do though will appreciate the groundwork you are putting in. After I got offered my job, I received 2 calls from another 2 companies who knew I'd arrived thanks to my previous emails, and just wanted to reach out. They didn't have any vacancies currently, but they were friendly and personable, and offer good contacts for the future.

Just put yourself out there and try to be thick skinned. There are nice people just waiting to help you - build relationships with them and ignore the 'baddies"!

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent post LC!....love the attitude.

We are looking at the whole thing as an adventure with completely open minds and a positive attitude. Bring it on!

Every morning when I hear the rain blasting against the bedroom window and the the 90 mile drive to work in the dark.....then the same at the end of the day.....it just fuels my will to make this whole thing happen. Things can only be better, and if they are not......at least we have tried.

Go, BillyJo! Go!! I wish you everything you wish for yourself! Life is so short so there's no time to lose if you're after an adventure, or simply something different for a while. Adelaide is a great place and many hundreds of thousands of Brits have discovered that for themselves. Make the Big Leap, my friend. However, if you and Adelaide don't get on together, well, there's plenty of other places to try in Australia. And if all of Oz turns out not to be your cup of tea, well, you can always turn around and go back home to Blighty! But I bet you'll never forget the Land Down Under! She has a habit of getting right under the skin, cobber!! x

Guest Guest75
Go, BillyJo! Go!! I wish you everything you wish for yourself! Life is so short so there's no time to lose if you're after an adventure, or simply something different for a while. Adelaide is a great place and many hundreds of thousands of Brits have discovered that for themselves. Make the Big Leap, my friend. However, if you and Adelaide don't get on together, well, there's plenty of other places to try in Australia. And if all of Oz turns out not to be your cup of tea, well, you can always turn around and go back home to Blighty! But I bet you'll never forget the Land Down Under! She has a habit of getting right under the skin, cobber!! x

Top advice !!! Plenty of good comments in this thread.

We came here "Because we could" and kind of took it from there.

Doing so many things here I would not have done back in the UK.

Mmmmmmm, waffles......omnomnom!

:biggrin::wubclub: LC

Can I join - I'm an expert waffler

Persistence, positive attitude, perseverance and determination all help. You get out what you put in and it can be hard work at the start but its worth it!

Luck can play a big part too and you can't control that but you can create the right conditions for it to happen!

waffle.jpg

We are looking at the whole thing as an adventure with completely open minds and a positive attitude. Bring it on!

Every morning when I hear the rain blasting against the bedroom window and the the 90 mile drive to work in the dark.....then the same at the end of the day.....it just fuels my will to make this whole thing happen. Things can only be better, and if they are not......at least we have tried.

That is a great attitude to have. To put it crudely a lot of it is down to having the balls to migrate in the first place. I have read 2 threads recently on a different forum that have stuck in my mind. One of the threads was saying that their visa had now ran out after having it 5 years and they would not be coming to Australia because of XYZ, a list of reasons, which in my opinion sounded like excuses and in reality it sounded like they have just bottled it and are frightened of coming. Another thread from a couple updating after being here 5 months saying they arrived with $8k and have really got stuck into it and it was also a great motivator to get work as they didn't have a lot of money and they are totally embracing their new life down under.

Everyone is different, some people flounder with the challenge of starting a new life and others flourish.

they would not be coming to Australia because of XYZ, a list of reasons, which in my opinion sounded like excuses and in reality it sounded like they have just bottled it and are frightened of coming.

Jessica, I totally get the point you are making and I think you are definitely right about the benefits of a positive attitude.

That said, perhaps words like 'excuses' and 'bottled it' are a tad harsh? :smile:

I think deciding to emigrate is comparatively easy. Completing the forms, checks etc is tedious and can be so all-consuming it is almost as though getting the visa is the reality, not the actual move. Once the visa has been issued, reality (probably!) hits. People who then decide not to emigrate are very wise. After all, if you suddenly realise that you actually have all you want...why move? That's not bottling it is it? Isn't that simply protecting your self / family from potential failure.

Come feeling positive, realistic even but not negative and you'll be in with a chance.

Just my opinion, of course.

:wubclub: LC

Jessica, I totally get the point you are making and I think you are definitely right about the benefits of a positive attitude.

That said, perhaps words like 'excuses' and 'bottled it' are a tad harsh? :smile:

I think deciding to emigrate is comparatively easy. Completing the forms, checks etc is tedious and can be so all-consuming it is almost as though getting the visa is the reality, not the actual move. Once the visa has been issued, reality (probably!) hits. People who then decide not to emigrate are very wise. After all, if you suddenly realise that you actually have all you want...why move? That's not bottling it is it? Isn't that simply protecting your self / family from potential failure.

I think that it will probably be 50/50 on this. It is a fine line between "Excuses" and "Genuine concerns" the only person who will ever know the intention is the person who makes the decision....people will always judge.

Much of the above relates to how we process information (whether experiential or simply read)....we have a propensity to delete-distort-or generalise information until it "fits" with our own world view.

So trying desperately not to fence sit on this but I think that both views are probably accurate in relation to each individual's chosen method of processing the information.

:err:

Love the balance that honest posting gives!

Thanks!

Much of the above relates to how we process information (whether experiential or simply read)....we have a propensity to delete-distort-or generalise information until it "fits" with our own world view. So trying desperately not to fence sit on this but I think that both views are probably accurate in relation to each individual's chosen method of processing the information.

Well put - fence sitting is not a comfortable option anyway!

fence.jpg

People will always judge

.we have a propensity to delete-distort-or generalise information until it "fits" with our own world view.

Love the balance that honest posting gives!

I don't think people should judge. *

I also think that if we make information 'fit' our own world view (and ai think people probably do do that, particularly when asking for advice lol!) we can lose any honesty.

Honesty can be a funny thing and is all in the eye of the beholder...

:biggrin: LC

* this should not be taken as a judgement hahaha!

Guest AliinAus

Good advice LC, for me, my 2c worth is expect things to be different, it's a different country, different ways etc., if you expect the difference it's easier to accept it and settling becomes that little bit easier. It's quite confronting to suddenly realise you don't know where to go to buy an iron or (when we arrived) if there was a late night chemist to get something we needed for the children.

Good to see some positivity after reading negative posts for an hour, we're heading out there in June, we've never been to oz before and are not doing a reccie, just packing up and going for it, we have got to get our two kids out of dull old Hull!!

Absolutely brilliant! Love this:wink:

Good to see some positivity after reading negative posts for an hour, we're heading out there in June, we've never been to oz before and are not doing a reccie, just packing up and going for it, we have got to get our two kids out of dull old Hull!!

The last family that came from Hull could not get Robinsons fruit squash, so went back home after 2 weeks or so, whinging all the way!:eek:

This place is not England, enjoy what this place is and it will then be what you make it:cool:

Enjoy life and have pleasant journey's.

Keith

Guest AliinAus
The last family that came from Hull could not get Robinsons fruit squash, so went back home after 2 weeks or so, whinging all the way!:eek:

This place is not England, enjoy what this place is and it will then be what you make it:cool:

Enjoy life and have pleasant journey's.

Keith

I still chuckle every time I'm reminded of the fruit squash - I'd like to think they were misquoted and there were others reasons lol