Another road rant (sorry)!

Diane

I reckon when the power companies turn the power off in an area, they should come along and plonk a big rubber roundabout in the middle of all the traffic light junctions to remind everyone how to behave when the lights are not working!!!

Grrrrr..... seen so many near accidents this afternoon with people not understanding how this works!

Give way to the right. Treat it like a roundabout. Simples. Why is that so difficult??

Oops I didn't know that, I thought if you were on the main road you always had the right if way

If it's a main road and side road, without traffic lights, then yes, you do have the right of way, but in a junction with lights, then the 'main road' might be whichever one has the green light at a given time (difficult to explain without pictures!) so in the absence of working lights, you should treat it like a roundabout.

Edited to add: I must admit I was thinking of a fourway junction, not a T-junction - just checked and the rule is

If the traffic lights are not operating, obey the Give Way to the Right rule or the Give Way at a T-intersection rule, whichever is applicable - See more at: http://mylicence.sa.gov.au/road-rules/the-drivers-handbook/traffic-lights#sthash.jXFihUnU.dpuf

Edited by Diane

Guest Claire-n-tel
If it's a main road and side road, without traffic lights, then yes, you do have the right of way, but in a junction with lights, then the 'main road' might be whichever one has the green light at a given time (difficult to explain without pictures!) so in the absence of working lights, you should treat it like a roundabout.

Yep exactly!:notworthy:

I sense trouble coming with that last comment sidestep.

But everybody be honest did you know the rule on this?, I didn't, I have always worked on just taking extra care and avoid an accident at all costs.

I didn't I just thought it was a case of playing demolition derby :tongue:

But everybody be honest did you know the rule on this?, I didn't, I have always worked on just taking extra care and avoid an accident at all costs.

Haha I must admit that's part of the reason I posted it - with threats of widespread power outages tomorrow I thought it was timely: mind you, it's one of those things that unless everyone knows the rules and follows them, it just doesn't work, and the chances of getting 100% compliance are pretty thin I think!

This has got me thinking that if you did have an accident and you know you was in the right, and the other driver goes ranting on about they were on the main road, then maybe I would not try to correct them there and then ( so as they do not go and check the road rules and possibly change their story), but let them say it on the insurance claim form, then surely that would be an admission of guilt not knowing the road rules!

If you've got an old wreck, then drive that tomorrow, otherwise safe driving everyone and stay cool on all fronts, except those with PMS:wink:.

Guest Claire-n-tel

I did know but tbh i only learnt it when i did my advanced drivers course, before that i was with the extra care biggest balls variety!:biglaugh: