Things that make me love SA

flossybeth

There are a few things that I've noticed since arriving here that really make me think - you gotta love the Aussies:

1. If the traffic lights turn to amber as you approach it's not telling you slow down and stop it's actually a signal to speed up way past the limit and dash over that junction.

2. If the road has an uneven surface rather than even it out it they'll just put a large sign up to let you know you're going to bump along for a while

3. Durex adverts on the radio at breakfast time - good job the children don't pay too much attention to the background noise...

and probably a hundred more but those are the three I've been pondering for a while

Lol. Yep so true. I've missed the condom ad though.

I got here six years ago and for some reason at that time there were billboards everywhere advertising products to help men last longer..... I did wonder why these Aussie men all that these problems. I haven't noticed them in a while. Maybe they all got better? Lol.

The yorke peninsula has SHOCKING roads.

3. Durex adverts on the radio at breakfast time - good job the children don't pay too much attention to the background noise...

Maybe children do pay attention we don't see anywhere near as many teenage Mums and dads here as we did in the UK.

I see far more here. Maybe because I work in an area with higher poverty?

When I moved to Manchester I expected to see loads and there weren't that many. I think it all depends what area you are in.

It may be because I've stopped listening to commercial radio, but recently I haven't noticed a lot of what struck me when we first arrived: lots of ads for "nasal delivery technology" and others for the strippers at the Hungry Horse - all on school run time radio! Ah the conversations those triggered with my kids...<sigh>.....

Guest Guest12727

A little off track, but I still remember visiting family in Roma, Queensland, which is 5hr drive inland from Brisbane. An ad on the TV for ten-pin bowling in Mount Isa, promoted it as "only a day away"!

Back to SA, take-aways closing by 7.30. Isn't it nice that small family run businesses are able to be home with their families in the evenings, just when we are looking for food.

Edited by Guest12727

It may be because I've stopped listening to commercial radio, but recently I haven't noticed a lot of what struck me when we first arrived: lots of ads for "nasal delivery technology" and others for the strippers at the Hungry Horse - all on school run time radio! Ah the conversations those triggered with my kids...<sigh>.....

Pay attention Diane lol ............. it's CRAZY Horse not Hungry Horse ....... :biglaugh:

Guest Claire-n-tel

Yes friends of ours recently visited the uk and were blown away buying beer etc in the supermarket and how cheep it was!.....also couldn't get their head around being taken for a curry ay nearly midnight after a night in the pub! (that is something i would love to do once in a while, would have to be a proper english pub tho not one of those weatherspoons things!)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest12727
I wonder what the Ausies moving to the UK notice?.....there will be just as much i'm sure, would be interesting to know.....any ideas?

Having to tip - the maid in the hotel, the hairdresser (GBP 5!!), the binmen at xmas, paperboy, taxi drivers, waiters/waitresses - all hidden costs.

Having to tip - the maid in the hotel, the hairdresser (GBP 5!!), the binmen at xmas, paperboy, taxi drivers, waiters/waitresses - all hidden costs.

Maybe I'm tight, but out of that list I only ever tipped waiters, and then only if the service was great. I did tip a trainee hairdresser once who was cutting my hair for free.

Guest Claire-n-tel
Maybe I'm tight, but out of that list I only ever tipped waiters, and then only if the service was great. I did tip a trainee hairdresser once who was cutting my hair for free.

Same here Blossom!.....i don't think the uk has a "must tip" culture like the US.........having said that i guess the more people who think like that and the more overseas visitors are given that impression the more it will be expected.

It is a very strange custom when you think about it, those people are already being paid to do their job (sometimes a big fairly wage!) and that you are obviously contributing to those wages if you are using the service but then feel the need to pay more?!

Why those people and not cabin crew, nurses, the checkout lady in tesco? :err:

Guest Guest12727

My OH was in UK last week and stayed in a hotel where his parents also stayed. When they checked out his Mum asked if he had left a tip for the Maid on the bed - she left 5 pounds. Perhaps it is an older generation thing - I have never done that and neither did OH, although that isn't what he told his Mum!!

Guest Claire-n-tel
My OH was in UK last week and stayed in a hotel where his parents also stayed. When they checked out his Mum asked if he had left a tip for the Maid on the bed - she left 5 pounds. Perhaps it is an older generation thing - I have never done that and neither did OH, although that isn't what he told his Mum!!

Maybe years ago some people didn't get paid a wage ie maids in hotel and there earnings had to come from tips??

I actually did used to get people trying to give me tips when I worked at tescos lol. We weren't allowed any cash on site, so we would get into trouble if they searched us (is was fairly regular) and they found money. A little old lady was so determined to tip me once that when I wouldn't take any money she gave me a satsuma and stood to watch me eat it lol.

Guest Claire-n-tel
A little old lady was so determined to tip me once that when I wouldn't take any money she gave me a satsuma and stood to watch me eat it lol.

Cute :cute: I've been given a black eye before to thank me for my work and the "tip" wasn't of the monetary kind!

A little off track, but I still remember visiting family in Roma, Queensland, which is 5hr drive inland from Brisbane

From what I can gather it's also dead easy to visit Roma anywhere in the UK now :(

..... it's CRAZY Horse not Hungry Horse .....

Wouldn't that depend on the quality of the strippers?

I wonder what the Ausies moving to the UK notice?.....any ideas?

Decent beer for a start

Edited by sidestep

Guest BurgessFamily

I remember having a dead battery after work (6pm) and then quickly realising nowhere would be open to get a new one until the morning. Good old SA, where everywhere closes early. :P

Yes friends of ours recently visited the uk and were blown away buying beer etc in the supermarket and how cheep it was!.....also couldn't get their head around being taken for a curry ay nearly midnight after a night in the pub! (that is something i would love to do once in a while, would have to be a proper english pub tho not one of those weatherspoons things!)

You can get a curry on Hindley street at midnight, and its good :biggrin:

When I was a student and worked as a chambermaid the permanent staff would "check" the state of all the rooms every morning before we were allowed in - I suspect (covering my self legally because actually I just know) this was to remove tips left for us.