'The Wife'

Guest Guest12727

Guest Guest12727

This is one term I can't abide, it is in the same league as 'Her indoors' (Arthur Daley). I do get that it comes with a sense of humour, but it doesn't tickle my funny bone.

Any other terms, English or Aussie that 'get your goat'?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest75
I hate when someone says "with all due respect" just before they say something disrespectful:arghh:

Oh and 24/7!

I'm remembering this - have to do a Beatles.............. " 8 Days a week"

This is one term I can't abide, it is in the same league as 'Her indoors' (Arthur Daley). I do get that it comes with a sense of humour, but it doesn't tickle my funny bone.

Any other terms, English or Aussie that 'get your goat'?

'get your goat'!!:biggrin:

So what term do you use howde? Carver (as in carving knife) ? trouble and strife?:wink:

I had this discussion many years ago with someone else whom didn't like the term 'the wife' they said it made them just like any object, they would much prefer to us the term 'my wife' I said that surely then that term means she is still an object, but an object of yours! afraid they could not put up a valid argument against that point. I personally think that 'the' elevates them, just like we refer to 'the Queen' 'the Prime Minister' 'the bride' etc.

Guest Guest12727
'get your goat'!!:biggrin:

So what term do you use howde? Carver (as in carving knife) ? trouble and strife?:wink:

I had this discussion many years ago with someone else whom didn't like the term 'the wife' they said it made them just like any object, they would much prefer to us the term 'my wife' I said that surely then that term means she is still an object, but an object of yours! afraid they could not put up a valid argument against that point. I personally think that 'the' elevates them, just like we refer to 'the Queen' 'the Prime Minister' 'the bride' etc.

To me, The Queen, The PM, The CEO, all imply head of something quite large, organisation, country.

My son, my husband, my brother, my partner and my wife imply a personal relationship.

Perhaps in some families The Wife is the head of the organisation, and the husband is acknowledging his place of inferiority by the reference. In my family, we share equality - I am just more equal sometimes. :wink:

To me, The Queen, The PM, The CEO, all imply head of something quite large, organisation, country.

I did include 'the bride' whilst this is not being the head of something, she is normally the lead figure at a wedding, I suppose she can be 'the head' designate (until the honeymoon is over).

Other than me being the boss, and I know this as she tells me I am, we too have an equal relationship, she cooks I eat, I dirty she cleans, I earn she spends:wink:

Guest Claire-n-tel
I did include 'the bride' whilst this is not being the head of something, she is normally the lead figure at a wedding, I suppose she can be 'the head' designate (until the honeymoon is over).

Other than me being the boss, and I know this as she tells me I am, we too have an equal relationship, she cooks I eat, I dirty she cleans, I earn she spends:wink:

Hmmmmm......Keith i think you may be heading for a kick in the pants!

Guest Guest12727

I don't think 'The Husband' refers to 'The Bride' as such. I can't quite picture a speech where he stands up and says 'The Bride and I' more likely 'My lovely bride (or wife) and .....' The Bride is a term used by others, as in The Bride wore, but never (I hope) by the man she has just married....or they may nor be married long :rolleyes:.

I don't think 'The Husband' refers to 'The Bride' as such. I can't quite picture a speech where he stands up and says 'The Bride and I' more likely 'My lovely bride (or wife) and .....' The Bride is a term used by others, as in The Bride wore, but never (I hope) by the man she has just married....or they may nor be married long :rolleyes:.

I think I have heard them say, at quite a few weddings now, "Will you now join me as we toast the bride", well I think they were weddings and not bbq's.

However I still believe that 'the' is not derogatory but actually elevates the person above others to be like you say "a head" ( does "this is the wife, the love of my life" sound ok?)

In the end Howde I think we will agree to disagree, and that, I think will go for many a couple.

Guest Guest12727
Lived in Mt Gambier for a while and everyone asks...."How are we?" when just addressing one person!!

My friend in England does that too, when referring to herself. I always wondered who else she was talking about.

I can't stand people in the media saying 'twenny' instead of twenty. And February eighteen ............. NO IT'S THE EIGHTEENTH OF FEBRUARY FFS, and not One July ............ FIRST OF BLOODY JULY ...... :arghh: It's not hard, really.

Also 'not a problem' ....................... clearly it is to ME!

BTW my hubby calls his Japanese Thinline Fender Telecaster 'The Wife' ..... he loves her so, so much.

I can't stand people in the media saying 'twenny' instead of twenty. And February eighteen ............. NO IT'S THE EIGHTEENTH OF FEBRUARY FFS, and not One July ............ FIRST OF BLOODY JULY ...... :arghh: It's not hard, really.

I totally agree - it drives me mad.

The words I hate are 'lifestyle' used as an adjective, as in lifestyle property - what does that mean? Surely all properties offer a lifestyle.

Also 'wellness' - now that is just made-up.