Engine breaking (and other stuff)

V-Bird

Has nobody in this country heard of this..? I travel down a fairly steep hill every day and every car in front of me has their breaks on, I'm talking all the way down, about 3km. Even in an auto you can knock it down a cog and let your gearbox hold your speed. I change my break pads about every two years, how often do they do it..?

And another thing, your indicators are to signal your intentions to others, so if you want to move into the turn right or turn left lane, indicate before, there's no point putting your indicator on after you've moved into that lane and leaving it ticking away while you're stopped, because by then it's obvious what your intention is..!

And another thing, how come everyone is so damn good at the art of lane changing but cannot merge into traffic from a slip road..?

Hi everyone, I'm V-Bird and I had a bad drive to work today..!

I think part of it my be down to nearly everyone driving automatics, and not understanding the facility to select a different mode to slow their car down using the engine, rather than the brakes. Not that I'm excusing anyone of course, and I confess if I am in my OH's automatic rather than my crappy old manual I would probably do the same!!

I doubt that young drives are taught anything about engine breaking these days. I'd rather have the engine revving higher than normal than the wear on the breaking system, especially in a Ford Falcon. (prone to disc warping)

That's another thing. When they reach the bottom of the hill and stop at the lights, they sit there with their (hot) breaks on (what happened to 'handbrake / neutral..?'). Just about every car I've driven in Oz has had warped disks. Grrr

When I taught my son to drive I made him change down to hold his speed. When his instructor saw him do it he looked at him gone out..!

Edited by V-Bird

Has nobody in this country heard of this..? I travel down a fairly steep hill every day and every car in front of me has their breaks on, I'm talking all the way down, about 3km. Even in an auto you can knock it down a cog and let your gearbox hold your speed. I change my break pads about every two years, how often do they do it..?

And another thing, your indicators are to signal your intentions to others, so if you want to move into the turn right or turn left lane, indicate before, there's no point putting your indicator on after you've moved into that lane and leaving it ticking away while you're stopped, because by then it's obvious what your intention is..!

And another thing, how come everyone is so damn good at the art of lane changing but cannot merge into traffic from a slip road..?

Hi everyone, I'm V-Bird and I had a bad drive to work today..!

Dat's coz Aussies drive like wusses innit!

It's no good, I can't take it any more - BRAKES people, BRAKES - even if you don't know how to use them, please learn how to spell them!! :wubclub:

I definitely (lol) feel your pain! We obviously both have issues :biggrin:

I also came onto this thread because I thought someone was breaking an engine / needed one to break.

Doesn't really matter as I enjoyed V-Bird's post anyway!

:smile: LC