2 weeks to go

Bal67

There's a arrival booklet on immigov for newcomers. What to do and what to know about your new home country.

It called 'Life in Australia'. You'll find it under immi.gov.au/living-in-Australia/values/book/...

Very good indeed. I can highly recommend reading it in case you've time left

Guest Claire-n-tel
what do we need to do she we first get there

Ok......Most important thing to do when you arrive.....STOP........

Have a snooze go out for coffee and a walk on the beach, check out your local park etc etc, then buy a bottle (or two!) of local wine order a takeaway sit in the garden and enjoy your first evening of the start of your new life.....everything else will still be there in 2 days!

Have fun!:smile:

You don't need to inform anyone really. It's all automatic at immigration control when you land.

Yeah - its quite funny how non an event it is - not that we expected a huge welcome party or anything....but we got our bags together, got through immigration, left the airport and voila - you are now living in Australia.

Guest Claire-n-tel
I see sounds good to me as I am already exhausted so the less I have to do the better other than find a home for us, schooling and jobs etc lol xx

Do you have somewhere to stay when you arrive Bal?......Seriously jobs, schools etc etc will still be there, if you try to get everything sorted as soon as you land you'll be exhausted, peed off, frustrated and wonder why you moved here in the first place.

Do you have somewhere to stay when you arrive Bal?......Seriously jobs, schools etc etc will still be there, if you try to get everything sorted as soon as you land you'll be exhausted, peed off, frustrated and wonder why you moved here in the first place.

Hi Claire,

Yes I know what you mean luckily it will be easter hols so no schools open etc we just to get there and slowly start looking at best options for kids and us, but just getting a long term rental in. Port Noarlunga would be fab for us as we also need to get dogs from Melbourne, hey we will have to catch up with the dogs too!!!

We are in Glenelg for first 10 days then we move into 1 of Tamaras houses so we have 3-4 weeks to find along term rental, ive just noticed your in Glenelg please pm if you are free at all to catch up for a coffee or something whilst we are also there, would love to meet up!!

Bal

x

Guest Claire-n-tel

Hi Bal!......Ooohhh doggy play date?!:biggrin:

Where in Glenelg are you staying?.....what date do you arrive? We are away quite a bit around easter but will definatly be happy to try to catch up for a coffee!

Guest Claire-n-tel
Good yeah I saw the sites n threads but most are for singles couple as for a family of three it's hard so what you found and how much is the rent Bro if you don't mind sharing

Fahaditq, most of the rental holiday homes are 2 or more bedrooms so not sure if you are looking for the right thing?......google holiday houses and /or appartment rental

Hi Bal!......Ooohhh doggy play date?!:biggrin:

Where in Glenelg are you staying?.....what date do you arrive? We are away quite a bit around easter but will definatly be happy to try to catch up for a coffee!

Claire,

I Will pm you now.

bal

We are due to fly out in 2 weeks time and very stressed with paperwork and packing!!! Starting to panic now too!!!

Any do's and dont's before we go and what do we need to do she we first get there, who do we need to inform of our arrival etc?? :arghh:

Hi Bal67:

Oh dear, I know exactly what you're going through and only wish I could soothe your sense of stress and panic by simply saying: "It'll be okay; please don't worry."

One thing I would suggest you bring is a 4 or 6 x socket uk powerboard and just one Oz/UK adaptor. This will prove invaluable for the first few months while you're still needing to charge your UK appliances: hairdryers; shavers; cameras; mobile phones; straighteners, etc. Honestly! This is a tip I picked up from PIA a few years ago and I pass it on as often as I get the chance on this forum! We've been here just over a year now, and have mostly converted to Oz appliances, so hardly use our UK socket powerboard these days. However, it was worth its weight in gold for the first 12 months or so, so please give it a go.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Hi Bal67:

Oh dear, I know exactly what you're going through and only wish I could soothe your sense of stress and panic by simply saying: "It'll be okay; please don't worry."

One thing I would suggest you bring is a 4 or 6 x socket uk powerboard and just one Oz/UK adaptor. This will prove invaluable for the first few months while you're still needing to charge your UK appliances: hairdryers; shavers; cameras; mobile phones; straighteners, etc. Honestly! This is a tip I picked up from PIA a few years ago and I pass it on as often as I get the chance on this forum! We've been here just over a year now, and have mostly converted to Oz appliances, so hardly use our UK socket powerboard these days. However, it was worth its weight in gold for the first 12 months or so, so please give it a go.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

hi Barbaitch,

Thanks so much for that clever tip!! And yes I know we will get there, very stressful at the moment but I could not have done it without all the help and support from people on Poms In Adelaide!!! So thanks to everyone who has answered any of my queries or just sent their wishes and supported me, nearly at the end of our journey in the UK and new life starts in Oz soon!!!

Just 1 more question though what is the best way of cleaning all shoes we are planning on shipping over etc??

Bal

x

Hi Bal

Good luck with the move and keep me informed how you are doing. I am getting stressed now and we are not going till the end of the month!!!!

Everything is coming together, our house sale should complete before Easter, removals are coming next Friday to ship our stuff over, we are working our notice and the boys have their leaving party at the weekend.

I agree with Claire-n-tels advice on arrival and have a glass of wine and enjoy your new home. That's what I am planning to do, however mine maybe a bottle!!!!!!!

Sue

Guest TK-421

Just to say good luck BAL on your imminent arrival in 2 weeks time.

We are 5 weeks till we fly and are enjoying a bit of respite before the fun starts.

Our container should have left Southampton today so we're living out of suitcases for two months till our stuff arrives.

Also heading to Noarlunga and also in one of Tamara's rentals.

I think things here will start becoming a bit more emotional with family once we reach the two week mark.

Best of luck for the remainder of your journey.

Hi Bal

just a quick one..... We have our beloved 4 legged boy currently doing time in Spotswood... We toyed with the idea of doing the drive to Melbourne to collect him but in the end went with Dogtainers who have organised a flight from MEL to ADL for $183. They pick him up from Spotswood, take him to airport and book him in for a 1hr flight (better than 8hr + drive) where we will be waiting for his arrival at Adelaide airport. So far so good! Good luck with everything. ShazlouD p.s they will pick them up and drop them at your address if required

Just to say good luck BAL on your imminent arrival in 2 weeks time.

We are 5 weeks till we fly and are enjoying a bit of respite before the fun starts.

Our container should have left Southampton today so we're living out of suitcases for two months till our stuff arrives.

Also heading to Noarlunga and also in one of Tamara's rentals.

I think things here will start becoming a bit more emotional with family once we reach the two week mark.

Best of luck for the remainder of your journey.

Hi, it looks like a few of us arriving soon.

We are looking at arriving just before your dates!!!

You are more organised than us, our shipping container is not coming until next week. Then we too are living out of suitcases, but I am sure it will all be worth it in the end. We are moving to our rental in Moana, and at the minute I am just thinking of the lovely beach and views. I also love the hills and cannot wait to explore and get to know the area better.

Best wishes and good luck with your move.

Sue

RE the shoes - I just used a cheap bleach type spray, I was told to use Jeyes fluid but as long as it smelt bleachy I figured it would be ok, I sat outside for yonks scrubbing all our stuff, outside items etc, it took forever I wonder if they ever really checked anything that well, we got rid of our hoover as I was paranoid they would take it anyway, even our lawn mower in case there were problems as it was petrol, I cleaned hubbys whipper snipper till you could eat your dinner off it :huh:

hi Barbaitch,

Thanks so much for that clever tip!! And yes I know we will get there, very stressful at the moment but I could not have done it without all the help and support from people on Poms In Adelaide!!! So thanks to everyone who has answered any of my queries or just sent their wishes and supported me, nearly at the end of our journey in the UK and new life starts in Oz soon!!!

Just 1 more question though what is the best way of cleaning all shoes we are planning on shipping over etc??

Bal

x