ALDI at Woodcroft ..... soon

wizzywozza

Just in case anyone is interested ...... ALDI is taking over the current site of Sam's Warehouse and will be opening in Woodcroft Town Centre shops within a few months. Sam's is closing down on the 1st of May unless the stock is gone before that date, in which case it will close earlier than that. They are currently selling all their stock off cheap.

I've never been in an ALDI ..... can anyone enlighten me as to what they are like? Personally I love the Foodland at Woodcroft.

Sharon

Edited by wizzywozza

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Sharon,

We have one by us within walking distance although I don't go there that often as I tend to shop closer to work and because Aldi is so cheap here and do not do name brands and also the queues are always so long!!!

But saying that the fruit and veg I have been told is better than Asda here and wine and beer very very good and a lot cheaper so I tend to use more for midweek shopping not a big shop, but they do seem to bringing in more named brands!!

All I will say is don't knock it until you have tried it!!!

Bal

no need to be so friggin sarcastic xzibit ........... I am only passing on what the staff at both Sams Warehouse, AND our local Woolworths have told us on several occasions

Won't bloody well bother in future

Lol calm down. I can tell you that the distribution centre is at least 12-15 months away from being operational.

Lots of stuff in tins that has German labels and so on. All of it fine, just cheaper and unless fluent in German, not able to read the labels. At least the UK ones are.

TBH we never used them much in the UK. I'd go in now and again and stock up on tons of tins of tomatoes or some such but for the rest of it, wasn't overly fussed. The nearest one to us was in the next town, which meant I only got there once a week when taking son swimming.

If you want to save on the bank balance, shopping in Aldi can come in way cheaper (least in the UK it could, especially if you did your entire weekly shop there). I guess until the store actually opens and we can compare prices to other stores, its hard to know if its going to be much of a saving. If they are going to be like the UK model or the German one, chances are it'll be money saved. As to quality of goods, that is down to personal preference I guess. I don't like cheap vinegary ketchup so always buy Heinz. But I don't mind a cheap tin of tomatoes for going in a spag bol. Aldi sold ketchup would never make it into my trolley but their tinned toms would.

Just in case anyone is interested ...... ALDI is taking over the current site of Sam's Warehouse and will be opening in Woodcroft Town Centre shops within a few months. Sam's is closing down on the 1st of May unless the stock is gone before that date, in which case it will close earlier than that. They are currently selling all their stock off cheap.

I've never been in an ALDI ..... can anyone enlighten me as to what they are like? Personally I love the Foodland at Woodcroft.

Sharon

OMG! If it's true then I'm a very happy bunny! Must be honest, I was a complete snob back in the UK and didn't use it at all but went to one in Melbourne a few months ago and was astounded how cheap everything was - especially the alcohol! A bottle of Stoneleigh sauvignon blanc which costs $20 here was $10 there - and that was the everyday price, not a special. Some of the stuff there is rubbish - but I also think that they can offer some serious competition to Foodland, Coles and Woolies...

Prices at coles and woollies have dropped significantly in Melbourne and Sydney wherever Aldi is close by. About 5 % at least and it makes the shopping more interesting as I find the supermarket chains here in SA really boring...In Europe Aldi offers Australian wines, cheaper than here!

.In Europe Aldi offers Australian wines, cheaper than here!

Australian wine is cheaper everywhere than here! Lol

We shopped at Aldi whenever possible during a camper van trip from Sydney and most of the stuff on the shelves was Australian produce. Unlike in the UK where it is mostly cheap imported

When did the SA law change to allow alcohol being sold in supermarkets? The price of wine in UK supermarkets is not relevant here.

if you all buy all the cheap imports, the government will get less GST, then the country suffers. I just hope those of you that hunt the cheap imports aren't the ones who complain that your services drop and roads etc aren't fixed.

Guest Guest75
When did the SA law change to allow alcohol being sold in supermarkets? The price of wine in UK supermarkets is not relevant here.

if you all buy all the cheap imports, the government will get less GST, then the country suffers. I just hope those of you that hunt the cheap imports aren't the ones who complain that your services drop and roads etc aren't fixed.

Yeah,but everyone will be too sozzled on the cheap Aussie wine to notice !!!

Sad innit?

That's one way of looking at it. Conversely, if people save money on some purchases they are more able to make other discretionary purchases they otherwise couldn't afford. In short, money saved on cheaper goods rarely stays in the pocket ...

Regarding Aldi, we didn't use it regularly in the UK but did get a bit excited at the thought of wandering round one recently that was near to the Sydney apartment we stayed in (we have a low excitement threshold). Got to say we left it a bit deflated and headed to the Coles over the road ...

We use Aldi in Brisbane, though we do not do a whole shop there as we have preferences for certain products rather than Aldi's or other supermarkets brands. Basically we try something, if we like it we get it, but their stuff does change so we stop getting it, like their pork sausages, baked beans, and vintage cheese all changed taste, so out they've gone. Overall they are cheaper and have some good specials but we only buy what we need and never buy something that we don't need because its cheap or on special as that's not saving money really, is it!

They do lose a lot of income from the small shop (bread and milk brigade) because of how they man the tills, myself and other have just left stuff near the till and walked out, I have also, and most likely others have too, looked through the window saw the queues and then gone elsewhere.

Enjoy it when it gets there and support them as all their fruit, veg and meat is supposed to be Aussie.

We use Aldi in Brisbane, though we do not do a whole shop there as we have preferences for certain products rather than Aldi's or other supermarkets brands. Basically we try something, if we like it we get it, but their stuff does change so we stop getting it, like their pork sausages, baked beans, and vintage cheese all changed taste, so out they've gone. Overall they are cheaper and have some good specials but we only buy what we need and never buy something that we don't need because its cheap or on special as that's not saving money really, is it!

They do lose a lot of income from the small shop (bread and milk brigade) because of how they man the tills, myself and other have just left stuff near the till and walked out, I have also, and most likely others have too, looked through the window saw the queues and then gone elsewhere.

Enjoy it when it gets there and support them as all their fruit, veg and meat is supposed to be Aussie.

I will continue to support my local butcher, fruit and veg shop etc. Or even Coles and Woolies, who themselves are Australian. I have no intention in moving from UK to Aus and specifically going to a German cheap and cheerful supermarket.

You move country you move shopping experiences. If you like what you had you stay put!!

Guest Claire-n-tel
I will continue to support my local butcher, fruit and veg shop etc. Or even Coles and Woolies, who themselves are Australian. I have no intention in moving from UK to Aus and specifically going to a German cheap and cheerful supermarket.

You move country you move shopping experiences. If you like what you had you stay put!!

Oh come on!.......get over yourself!.......are you just after a reaction (again) So everything you buy is now Australian?....Clothes? computer/electronics? furniture? ever been in Ikea?.....no of course you haven't......

Each to their own.....

Do you only sell Aussie made goods in your shop?? LOL

You do change shopping experiences, for sure.

I find all the supermarkets chains here so far generally the same and am underwhelmed by all of them. Not complaining about it, just how it is for me when out shopping. Yes I can buy many/all of the things I want or need and I am not one who is bemoaning the lack of UK food stuffs on sale over here either. It's Aus, you get a few imported popular things from the UK just like a few popular Aus things can be found on supermarket shelves in the UK (Milo, tim tams, Vegemite, Bundaberg drinks to name a few).

Should companies from overseas decide to branch out and come into the Aussie market, fair play to them and those that wish to try shopping there I reckon. I'm sure plenty of Aussie locals would venture in and shop to see how it was. And may be return customers. Aldi is a German chain. It branched into the UK and plenty of other countries. I'll still be doing plenty of 'buy Australian' shopping I am sure.

I used to buy Heinz tomato sauce until they shut down their Australian plant and moved production to New Zealand. Tried lots of Aussie tomato sauces, not great, then discovered Dick Smiths OzESauce - really nice - a bit more expensive but worth it (Beerenbergs are good too - especially the BBQ sauce with Coopers Ale!)