tax for working at the mines

Guest adelaidelife

Guest adelaidelife

Hello

I am thinking about going to work at the mines (olympic dam) and wondered if anyone on here knows about the tax implications, of doing this.

I have heard that you pay a lower rate of tax when you work at the mines, does anyone know if this is true. And if so, how much is the tax you pay. Also I heard that you have to be working there for a certain amount of time (i.e. around 6 months +, to fall into the lower tax bracket), again, is this true. If it is, how does it work. I mean, do you pay normal tax for the first 6 months (?) and then go on the lower tax bracket, and then do you get it reimbursed, or do you get the lower tax straight away, but if you leave within 6 months, you then have to pay the tax back???

Or have I been told a load of rubbish, and you don't get no tax relief whatsoever, and you pay normal tax, depending on what you earn??? bobolatete.gif

Guest adelaidelife
I haven't heard of this but I can find out for you.

Hi Michelle

Thanks, but I have already found out, since posting this thread. Apparently there is no such tax, as I thought, but a thing called tax offset, which you can claim if you are part of the zones that work in remote areas.

Again, thanks anyway.

Just wondered though, has anyone got any experience of working at the mines, olympic dam in particular. Just wanted to know what life is like there. What you do when your not working, (apart from sleeping :goofy:). Do you have gyms, swimming pools etc.

Any info would be great. Cheers:notworthy:

Roxby Downs is a small town. It has a shopping centre, gym, horse race track, sports courts, cultural centre that has a fair every weekend. A couple of pubs, footy oval, lots of cricket. A Cinema (but doesn't seem to be open at night which doesn't make much sense).

It will have everything you need.