outdoor pools

sue2oz

hi guys,

my friend lives in melbourne and she has told me they have outdoor swimming pools with bbq areas where you can make your own food etc and is really cheap sounds fab to me a nice cheap day out for the family:o

just wondering do they have something like this in adelaide

Guest sarahsmartiepants

I havent seen or heard of one of those here in ADl in the 2 yrs I have been here. There are outdoor BBQs in parks and some beaches though.

sarah

hi guys,

my friend lives in melbourne and she has told me they have outdoor swimming pools with bbq areas where you can make your own food etc and is really cheap sounds fab to me a nice cheap day out for the family:o

That's usually in your back garden!!:biglaugh:

No seriously though, I tried to take my two kids swimming a couple of weeks ago into the Marion Area, where the local public pool was closed for refurbishment, the only places available after that within the area that the local council office told us was the swimming schools, but it wasn't quite what we had in mind for a fun day out.

We went to Noarlunga Leisure Centre instead where they have a kids play section, a section where kids can swim, adults too for that matter just to follow the kids around, there was a section that was roped off and they had a rope swing with a lifeguard supervising at all times and an additional part where you can do lap swimming, all in all a good day out.

Parents of the kids who were in the pool but didn't want to go in themselves, took their camping chairs and cool boxes and sat around the side of the pool, watching their kids have fun.

The cost for the day there for 1 adult and 2 kids was $15, which for what they could do and the length of time they could stay in was really good.

As Sarah has said there are bbq areas in the local parks, which can be really good too.

If I find out anything any different, I will post it back on here to let you know.

well thanks gurls for ur replys, my friend lives about 40 minutes from the beach in melbourne so maybe thats why they have them out there does sound good though dont you think, imagine all us having a meet up there;)

oh well my bubbles burst:biglaugh:

Guest TheDeansDownUnder

Just to add, Me and the kids go to Ridgehaven a few times during the summer months, its an outside swimming pool, (3 different ones, one with a big slide) and they have bbq's for you to use too!

Took my mum when she was over from the UK and she thought it was fantastic:D

Leanne xx

There are lots of out door pools in Adelaide, but they usually close for the winter at the end of April and reopen in October.

Marion pool, has large grassed areas , a water slide that is extra but you get 10 rides for the price of the ticket. There is a toddler splash pool, a learner's pool and the 50 m big pool.

Unley pool, small but has a nice atmosphere.

Burnside pool, in Tusmore park. It has wonderful gum trees all round it. There is a 50 m pool, a learner's pool and a toddler splash pool. There is also some play equipment.

Norwood pools, there are 2 in Norwood, one is small.

Payneham pool.

Marion pool does kids' birthday parties, providing a host doing games in the pool, a cordonedoff section of the pool and use of the waterslide. We usually take our own food though.

The aquatic centre(indoors) in north adelaide is good for winter. There are diving boards upto 10 m and then towers upto about 40m. The diving pool is very deep but good for good swimmers and who doesn't like chucking themselves off a bouncy diving board at even the lowest level. There is a 50m lap pool, that is usually chopped in half by a moveable beam. The kids pool is shaped like a lagoon with mini waterfalls and spa bubbles. In the middle there is a platform with waterspouts. There are two waterslides that go into a deepish pool, but is always watched by life guards. There is a toddler area with spouting mushroomy things. The cafe sells hot food, but lots of people bring their own. There is a toddler pool outside aswell and grassy areas. Not sure if there are bbqs out there though. They also do parties but only during term time.

I think there are some more outdoor pools in the north, but I've never used them.

Rachel

Guest Diane
hi guys,

Yep, it's near Tea Tree Plaza and it's called Waterworld. Only open in the summe though, but plenty of free bbq's everywhere in parks and by tennis courts etc for you to use the rest of the year. Try Belair Park (although you do have to pay $7 to go in there), or various 'reserves' dotted around. Been to the pool at Marion too, similar size but didn't notice any bbqs. Another reason why the North East is the area of choice!!!! (running to hide....)

Rachel, how on earth have you managed to live here all this time and not visit the North East?? :-)

I've never had any reason to go there except to drive through it to somewhere else. I úsed to take the kids to the drive in by TTP but it's closed now, also for trips on the OBahn, which meant a trip into TTP for a drink, but hey we've got Marion and Rundle Mall, so no reason to go to TTP now the kids have outgrown the joys of the busway(it was cheap entertainment :(.

Guest Diane

LOL, oh the tales I've heard about the old drive-ins - the only one left now I think is at Gepps Cross! Neighbours tell me there used to be loads around...

Sorry, I was only commenting in jest - didn't mean any offence by the way.