AFL Hall of Fame Tribute Match

Guest morgie@51

Guest morgie@51

In the interests of me immersing myself in Aussie sporting culture can someone explain a couple of things about the above to me please.

If I follow it it seems to be a Victoria state team against a team made up from all the other states. Why is it Victoria on it's own?

Why the apparent antipathy towards Victoria on all the coverage I've seen on the TV Sports News? Maybe there is something that I'm not remembering from all the research I did before coming over, including a bit on the history, but everyone seems to have a fair degree of a disliking for Victoria.

I may even watch some of it. As I've applied for a job with one of the teams in Adelaide (not playing I might add) I watched some last week to show willing and I have to say the beautiful game it aint nad other than working out the scoring system most of the rest of the rules (if there are many) were lost on me.

I'm sure understanding this is an important part of the assimilation process and I would like to be able to brief Ali when she arrives next week - yet another sport to bore her with :biglaugh:

Thanks

Guest morgie@51

Hi Guzzler,

Thanks for that, it's all clear now.

Very interesting to note that their first set of rules predate the FA first setting out the rules for (real) football by 4 years!

Also interested to read about the International Series games. I vaguely recall channel 4 in the early 80s showing a series where they played 3 games between Irish and Australian teams. One under each code's own rules and one combined. All I can recall is that it was very violent!

Know what you mean about not getting on with it. I've tried to watch it in the uk before and never been able to last for long, lasted 20 minutes last weekend. I'm not a big rugby fan but can quite happily watch either code and can usually watch any sport including things like darts and ten pin bowling when assisted by alcohol. But so far Australian Football seems beyond me. Still it's early days.

Think I'll just have to become an Adelaide United fan instead!

Morgan

Guest Django
Think I'll just have to become an Adelaide United fan instead!

The only thing with this is that it will not only go against the grain to chant 'United' but also to cheer on a team that wears red.1.gif

Pete

Guest morgie@51
The only thing with this is that it will not only go against the grain to chant 'United' but also to cheer on a team that wears red.1.gif

Pete

I wholeheartedly agree Pete. However, my other option being a lifelong Newcastle fan (sufferer) was to support the other Newcastle. Having spent most of my life living miles away from my team, and spending several years travelling there and back every other week I don't think I could face moving 10,000 miles to end up liveing hundreds of miles from my chosen team.

So Adelaide United it is then. Not sure how I explain to a 6 year old however that we don't cheer for Newcastle when we watch Adelaide play them. I can see that being very confusing for the poor little lad having only recently introduced him to the delights of St James Park. Just have to hope the lack of snow will reinforce the difference between the 2 Newcastles.

Guest ali@51

Hmmmmmmm

I don't care how commplicated /intresting or unintresting it might be we are not watching it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it won't be complicated for the poor little lad as he won't be seeing too much of it. and if you dont like it we can argue it out when I get their!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:policeman:

Guest Django
Hmmmmmmm

I don't care how commplicated /intresting or unintresting it might be we are not watching it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it won't be complicated for the poor little lad as he won't be seeing too much of it. and if you dont like it we can argue it out when I get their!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:policeman:

OOoooooooOOOOoooooh get you so brave when your thousands of miles away. :biglaugh:

Pete

Guest jill wright

Pete

Can't see my Phil ever doing that , he may want to rethink this emigrating lark

Jill

Guest morgie@51
Hmmmmmmm

Thats me told then.

10,000 miles apart and its like were in the same room :biglaugh:

Guest sarahsmartiepants

I like the advert for this on the TV that says "kick a Vic"!!!!!:biglaugh:

Not that I have anything against Victorians.except they steal the water from the Murray!

sarah

Guest Diane

Ok, firstly the SA/Vic thing - traditional to knock each other, exacerbated by the Victorian Head of State saying in a speech recently that if they're not careful, Melbourne will end up another sleepy backwater 'like Adelaide'! Went down well here, that did!

Aussie Rules does take some getting used to, but having watched it for four years now, I do pretty well understand it, apart from the annual rule changes they bring in. There are 18 payers in each team, substitutions can be made throughout the game without stopping the play, people bearing water run on and off the pitch at whim it seems, and the game is played in four Quarters, rather than two halves! The two Adelaide teams are the Crows and the Power - you will HAVE to choose one or the other to support when you are here - and (at least) once a year they have a 'showdown' where the two SA side play each other. This is in the AFL (formerly the VFL when it was just Victoria playing) and there is also the SANFL which is smaller, local teams. Points are 6 for the ball being kicked between the two tall uprights, or 1 (or a 'behind') for a ball that goes through the two smaller outside posts, or hits a post, or goes through anywhere kicked or carried by the opposing team (i.e. you take the ball through your own goal to give the other team 1 point, rather than risking them getting it and kicking it for a 6). If you kick the ball and someone else catches it cleanly, at least 15 mtrs away, it's called a 'mark' which basically means no-one can tackle you until the ref shouts 'play on' so if you can dispose of it before that it's a good thing! You are not allowed to throw the ball to an opponent, you have to 'handpass' it - ie hold it in one hand and punch it out with the other! That's probably enough to go on with, suffice it to say the players have to be incredibly fit, incredibly brave, and often are on their third or fourth knee/shoulder reconstruction by the time they hit their mid 20s!

Adelaide United - hmmmm - its football (you'll have to call it soccer here!), but not as we know it!! Think Chelmsford United vs Basildon Rovers and you probably won't be far off the standards - occasional flashes of brilliance though (usually from someone like Nathan Burns) and a great family atmosphere at matches!!

Guest morgie@51
Ok, firstly the SA/Vic thing - traditional to knock each other, exacerbated by the Victorian Head of State saying in a speech recently that if they're not careful, Melbourne will end up another sleepy backwater 'like Adelaide'! Went down well here, that did!

Aussie Rules does take some getting used to, but having watched it for four years now, I do pretty well understand it, apart from the annual rule changes they bring in. There are 18 payers in each team, substitutions can be made throughout the game without stopping the play, people bearing water run on and off the pitch at whim it seems, and the game is played in four Quarters, rather than two halves! The two Adelaide teams are the Crows and the Power - you will HAVE to choose one or the other to support when you are here - and (at least) once a year they have a 'showdown' where the two SA side play each other. This is in the AFL (formerly the VFL when it was just Victoria playing) and there is also the SANFL which is smaller, local teams. Points are 6 for the ball being kicked between the two tall uprights, or 1 (or a 'behind') for a ball that goes through the two smaller outside posts, or hits a post, or goes through anywhere kicked or carried by the opposing team (i.e. you take the ball through your own goal to give the other team 1 point, rather than risking them getting it and kicking it for a 6). If you kick the ball and someone else catches it cleanly, at least 15 mtrs away, it's called a 'mark' which basically means no-one can tackle you until the ref shouts 'play on' so if you can dispose of it before that it's a good thing! You are not allowed to throw the ball to an opponent, you have to 'handpass' it - ie hold it in one hand and punch it out with the other! That's probably enough to go on with, suffice it to say the players have to be incredibly fit, incredibly brave, and often are on their third or fourth knee/shoulder reconstruction by the time they hit their mid 20s!

Adelaide United - hmmmm - its football (you'll have to call it soccer here!), but not as we know it!! Think Chelmsford United vs Basildon Rovers and you probably won't be far off the standards - occasional flashes of brilliance though (usually from someone like Nathan Burns) and a great family atmosphere at matches!!

Thanks for that Diane.

I'd picked up some of that already but it explains some of the bit's I didn't understand. I watched about an hour of the game last night and couldn't work out the mark business - was sat there thinking how come it's a mark he wasn't stationary on the ground, didn't appear to shout for it and didn't seem to make a mark, which is what I vaguely recall you have to do in Rugby.

Thought I did quite well to last an hour but that could have been the reading the paper at the same time bit. Whilst there is undoubtedly a fair degree of skill and athleticism in it and certainly bravery I can't see me taking to it. Still I'm sure I'll keep an eye on it.

Been here 4 weeks now and I've spotted the Crows / Power rivalry. As I managed to work for the Liverpool Echo for 4 years and not take sides between Liverpool and Everton (just laugh at either as appropriate!) I'm sure I can let it pass me by.

Sounds like I'm going to be an Adelaide Utd fan then, when not watching the premiership. The standard sounds ok. Took Joey to see Northwich Victoria againt Cambridge Utd for his first ever real game and he had a great time, even in the freezing conditions in January. Looking frowards to taking him to watch a game in the sun!

Guest Django

Thought I did quite well to last an hour

I think you've earned a medal. Its about as unentertaining as baseball. The only thing worth while about aussie rules is that their is a tv commentator that sings like a female opera singer when he thinks the game is all over. :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Pete

Guest Diane

The funniest bit is at the end though when these big burly men put their arms around each other and sing their little team song! And I can tell you, they are NOT chosen for their singing ability!

I didn't manage to sit through the whole of last nights match myself though - on Channel Ten the commentators are generally from Melbourne themselves and it shows - I can only really enjoy watching a match if I particularly want a team to win (or lose!)! Hope you get the job with whichever team it was anyway, we need some local journalistic bias!

Guest morgie@51
The funniest bit is at the end though when these big burly men put their arms around each other and sing their little team song! And I can tell you, they are NOT chosen for their singing ability!

I didn't manage to sit through the whole of last nights match myself though - on Channel Ten the commentators are generally from Melbourne themselves and it shows - I can only really enjoy watching a match if I particularly want a team to win (or lose!)! Hope you get the job with whichever team it was anyway, we need some local journalistic bias!

Sadly nothing to do with journalism -accountancy and personally I think not being particularly interested in the actual sport would be an advantage for the job :biglaugh:

Guest morgie@51
I think you've earned a medal. Its about as unentertaining as baseball. The only thing worth while about aussie rules is that their is a tv commentator that sings like a female opera singer when he thinks the game is all over. :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Pete

I'm trying to prove myself worthy of the visa!

Personally speaking I can't really be doing with sports akin to proper football that have more than one point for a 'score'. To my mind a true sport is one where you can have a nil nil that is as good as many games with lots of goals.

Still it won't be an issue in another week as it looks like Aussie football won't be allowed in the Cook household. Never mind as long as I get the foxtel subscription sorted in time for next season I won't be complaining .

I think you've earned a medal. Its about as unentertaining as baseball.

Pete

Look, it's all a matter of personal opinion, but we think it's fab! I wasn't interested by soccer when we lived in the Uk and didn't expect to be caught up in the intense emotions that AFL inspire here. I didn't 'get' it and I that was fine by me. Until my son wanted to see the Eagles/Crows semi a couple of years ago...he goes for the Eagles 'cos his friend's brother plays for them, so with the love of a parent, I found a couple of tickets on Ebay, and took him.

One of our closest friends (a fervent lifelong Crows fan) kitted me out in Crows scarf and jacket, and off I went, feeling a total fraud. I have to say though that we had just the best time! The game (though a bit over my head!) was really exciting and the crowd spirit was amazing. I would recommend going to watch a live game; it certainly made a difference to me. We go to as many home games as we can, although you sometimes have to be pretty quick off the mark to get tickets, specially for the Showdowns.

I used to be surprised by how much people cared about AFL, but I guess it's only the same as some of you guys feel about soccer. AFL does seem to be a universal language and is important to heaps of people here. It's very important to know who you go/barrack for, specially for kids as it's one of the questions I hear most.

As for the team song...you should hear the kids after a match. Now that can be rough as guts but it means a lot to them and is all part of the team spirit.

Anyway, just my opinion.:SLEEP:

LC

Go Crows!

Guest Diane

It's very important to know who you go/barrack for, specially for kids as it's one of the questions I hear most.

Just one very important thing - don't whatever you do, ask anyone which team they're rooting for..... Gets you some very strange looks, I can tell you (from experience!!!)

Diane

Just one very important thing - don't whatever you do, ask anyone which team they're rooting for..... Gets you some very strange looks, I can tell you (from experience!!!)

Diane

The sad thing about that is that the word 'rooting' used to be used as a more forceful alternative to 'mucking around/ being off task etc'... ie.the footy coach might once have admonished kids to 'stop rooting about'! So if you get you any more strange looks, just tell them it's your age! :)

LC

Guest Fat Boy Fat

Footy is a big part of peoples life in SA and a Port v Crows game is a big event, to say it is boring without actually knowing the game or going to a match is just short sighted and in my opinion rude to the many people who follow it.

It is as much to do about being South Australian as ice coffee and villas pies

My son plays for southern valley district, his school, and the Happy Valley Vikings he trains every night and plays two games at the weekend. He is a fit health lad who enjoys life. He is a great example of what people say they want for family when they come here

Come to Australia to be an Australian not a moaning ex-pat who thinks the games they play in the colonies are just not up to standard.

Guest Django

Hi FBF,

You make assumptions that I know nothing of the game let alone played it. I can say from experience that it is a great game to play but find it very boring to watch. I can say the same about tennis, basketball and other sports that I have played and enjoyed playing but if a game started in my back garden I would close the curtains. ;):biglaugh::biglaugh:

Pete

1.You make assumptions that I know nothing of the game let alone played it.

2.I can say from experience that it is a great game to play but find it very boring to watch.

3. I can say the same about tennis, basketball and other sports that I have played and enjoyed playing but if a game started in my back garden I would close the curtains.

Pete

1. Ooh...a little paranoid perhaps?:wacko: I don't think you were the only one to yawn at AFL!

2. Go on then...give us the details! Everyone knows what hunks of spunk footy players are (with the definate exception of the dad's games!).

3. If they did that in our yard, they'd drown! I bet you'd watch that!

Seriously though, anyone can say what they want as long as it's not rude or offensive, can't they? I think Fatso just got a bit precious about it...it does sometimes seem that people on these forums are mad about soccer, but totally derisive about footy, and as the game of Australia that does seem a bit rude.:unsure: At our primary, they couldn't get enough players to make up the footy team, which is a first. The popular opinion seems to be that soccer is taking over due to the amount of migrants to the area. IMHO that's a shame; I mean we all came to assimilate didn't we, not change the culture?

Yours contentiously,

LC