Channel 9 news this evening

Anne B

Did anyone else see the ridiculous "news" article this evening on Channel 9 6 o clock news. It was about the wave of Brits emigrating to Adelaide and how, because the property market has picked up in the UK, they are all 'cashed up'.

It quoted the average price of a 3 bed semi-detached house in the UK as being £330,000 or $600,000 - compared to the average Adelaide house price of $390,000 (I think) - now what I want to know is where they got their figures from.

According to the UK Land Registry House Price Index the average house price in England and Wales (May 2014) was £172,035 (Halifax £183,000). For semi-detached houses (they don't classify by number of bedrooms) the average price was £162,408. Where on earth did Channel 9 get their information from - or did they just make it up to fit the story??

It was such a stupid piece of "journalism" it showed the 'pokey' house that this couple from the UK lived in before (to be honest it looked like quite a large detached house) and then compared it to the flash house they now live in in Adelaide complete with lap pool. The whole tone of the story was how lucky we all are to be in Adelaide(!), and what a sad life everyone in the UK must be living. What utter rubbish and as I say such low standards of journalism I don't know how they get away with it.

It was obviously designed to make people feel good about living in Adelaide after the previous story that 7,000 people applied for 300 jobs at the new Costco.

Edited by Anne B

Guest Guest12727

Probably from the London prices, source BBC 2nd July

[TABLE=class: data-table, width: 462]

[TR]

[TD=class: left]London

[/TD]

[TD=class: left]£400,404

[/TD]

[TD=class: left]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: row2]

[TD=class: left]Outer London

[/TD]

[TD=class: left]£295,543

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

This is why I never watch 7,9 or 10 news or read The Advertiser.

London house prices are ridiculously expensive compared to what you can get in Adelaide so no doubt they looked at London prices. We cannot afford to get on the property market in London no matter how long we save for, yet we know when we return to Adelaide later this year we will at least have some chance if we start saving and do so for a couple of years to get a good size deposit for a house we would only dream about owning in London (or if we moved a lot further out or to other areas of the UK - not possible for my partners work). Obviously outside of London prices for good houses are different, but in London its just ridiculous so I can kind of see where channel 9 were coming from.

Guest Guest75

It's just the same as someone moving from Sydney to here.

It happens fairly regularly , our neighbors are from Sydney and found their Dollar went waaaaaay further here.

That sounds about right!Is happiness all about how big your house is???I'll use my sister's house as an example (Im staying with her in Adelaide atm)Their kids have left home,they have a 3 bed house with family room,small dining room,ensuite in their bathroom.They only use their own bedroom (unless I stay with them in one of their spare rooms)they don't ever use the main bathroom,the dining room is never used because we eat at the benchtop,and their main loungeroom is'nt used either,as the tv is in the family room!!!They built an outhouse a few years ago,equipped with a bar and pool table?Guess what?No one uses it!Has'nt been used in years!Sounds like the news item was another "Are'nt we all lucky"story!Its about time Australia grew up I think!

Here is a link to the article. Apparantly Brits are easily recognised by "their lack of a tan and their accent".

My gripe is that they said the figures were for the UK, so if they were quoting London prices it is totally wrong and extremely poor journalism. A bit like quoting Sydney prices when talking about the whole of Tasmania. Also you can't get a 200 square metre property for $390,000 in many parts of Adelaide, and the Marino property that the couple in the article bought most certainly cost more than $390,000!!! It makes me mad!!!

Guest BurgessFamily

In general...you come with a dream built on what you see and hear, how much you cling to that dream when the reality bat hits you is up to you.

Guest Guest75
That's because thay have linked up to your wifi and electricity.

He,he..........they would have to get past the guard Bedlingtons first.

Actually they are moving - bought some acreage down near Port Elliot.

In general...you come with a dream built on what you see and hear, how much you cling to that dream when the reality bat hits you is up to you.

Agree 100%. It's very easy to get cynical and hardened by the experience and forget all the hopes and dreams that got us here in the first place.

Guest Guest14361
It's just the same as someone moving from Sydney to here.

It happens fairly regularly , our neighbors are from Sydney and found their Dollar went waaaaaay further here.

He,he..........they would have to get past the guard Bedlingtons first.

Actually they are moving - bought some acreage down near Port Elliot.

your neighbours had enough already...:biggrin: