Happy Yorkshire Day!!

Guest Guest75

Erm i dont know LC apparently the house of LANCASTER and the house of YORKSHIRE! The war of the roses! red rose and the white rose... I definitely sit on the fence having parents from both sides of the pennines! The big hills that separate us and get blocked by snow every year! But as you can see the best yorkshire puddings come from yorkshire!

Yes LC the war of the roses..

Okay, I was watching a bio on Queen (so loved Freddie Mercury!) and wondering how I'd never heard of Yorkshire Day although I had, like everyone else, studied the War of the Roses at school.

So... I checked it out, and found that the day had only really been introduced in 1975, by the Yorkshire Ridings Society. It was a tad confusing as I found mention of a Yorkshire Declaration, founding of Yorkshire, Minden Day, yada yada yada, but it doesn't seem to relate to the War.

You guys might find this interesting:

http://www.yorkshireridings.org/news/yorkshire-day.html

And you can test yourselves on all things Yorkshire with:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/quiz/2014/aug/01/yorkshire-day-2014-quiz

I now have a headache and a strange desire for yorkshire pudding!

LC

Guest Guest75

Still trying to find images of our lasse's puddings but they get eaten too quick!

Yorks water.jpg

This made me think of Stan!

stan pudding..jpg

This makes me think of our boys!

Bedlieteeth.jpg

Guest Claire-n-tel

Tyke am I allowed to say that makes you sound like that grumpy old bugger from coronation street years ago?......No?......ok I won't say that then

:jiggy:

Guest Guest75
Tyke am I allowed to say that makes you sound like that grumpy old bugger from coronation street years ago?......No?......ok I won't say that then

:jiggy:

Well someone has to keep it real!!.................

BTW Corrie is filmed in the county Ovver Pennines!!!

If you mean Percy Sugden - met him in real life at a friend's party. He was just the same in real life but a lot funnier. Sharing some single Malts at 2.00am with such a funny bloke was awesome.

Guest Guest75
It cant be that fantastic...... if you left!

<sigh>...............

You don't have to live in Yorkshire to be Yorkshire.................................it's a state of mind.

State of mind.jpg

Stop discussing this rationally with references - it's a gut/ heart feeling - nowt to do wi' no new fangled web thing site!!

I just wanted to KNOW!!!

Anyway, was it something you celebrated before it was 'invented' in 1975? Y'know, it being a 'gut / heart feeling' and all? :tongue:

Loved the pic of the Not-Stan, btw! :wubclub:

LC

Guest Guest75
I just wanted to KNOW!!!

Anyway, was it something you celebrated before it was 'invented' in 1975? Y'know, it being a 'gut / heart feeling' and all? :tongue:

Loved the pic of the Not-Stan, btw! :wubclub:

LC

Y'Know me - don't need an excuse to Shelabrate!:wubclub::wubclub::goofy:

It was "Formailised" in 75' - before that we just "did it!"