Read any good books lately?

Diane

I'm looking for some inspiration!

One I've read recently which I really enjoyed was The Martian, by Andy Weir. It's science fiction I guess but more sciency and less fantasy than some are, and not too far-fetched. Highly recommended if you like something that has obviously been well researched.

I'm also looking forward to the TV series of another of my alltime favourite books, coming up on BBC First at the end of next week - it's called Outlander, but I read the English published version of the book when it was called Cross Stitch, by Diana Gabaldon.

Anyone got any suggestions for my next Kindle shopping spree??

I hated We Need To Talk About Kevin. Hated it. Hated reading it. Took me nearly all of the 6 weeks of our book club and I only finished late the night before as I struggled so much to read it. But I'm glad I did finish it. Even if I hated it. Doesn't mean it was a bad book at all, quite the opposite. It was brilliant, made me think, question, argue, dislike intensely, be and feel apathetic toward some characters, really loathe others, like a few a little.

Every page was hard going, an effort to read but worthwhile.

Norwegian Wood. Its not as heavy as Kevin thats for sure.

Hadn't read anything for quite a while, but got a kindle paperwhite a few weeks ago and started reading again.

Have read Merckx: Half Man, Half Bike

Fallen Angel: The Passion of Fausto Coppi

and currently reading Sex, Lies and Handlebar Tape: The Remarkable Life of Jacques Anquetil

admitedly, these may not be everyone's cup of tea:cute:

.....and currently reading Sex, Lies and Handlebar Tape: The Remarkable Life of Jacques Anquetil.....

That sounds like a definite possible one for my OH - is it good? Does it 'work' on the Kindle? (Lots of these biographical/autobiographical books include pages of pictures - not sure how that translates on a Kindle format) and the Merckx one

Edited to add - I've just googled the other one too - you are obviously a big cycling fan!!! :smile:

"The Circle" by Dave Eggers.

It's a thought-provoking dystopian novel looking at the way the internet, Facebook, tweeting, etc and whatever, can be amazingly helpful, but have a potentially darker use. I found it interesting if a bit predictable towards the end.

I think most of us are a bit suspicious of any monitoring of what we access via the internet, and this book is quite timely - particularly perhaps, with the government's proposed data retention and metadata laws.

:smile: LC

Funnily enough - no! I keep borrowing books from the library and in the past six months have probably not finished more than half; something which I hate not to do because I always think it might just turn out well. I'm currently reading The Letter by some Irish author; it's dire but the stuff on the front says "kept me guessing till the very end" (or some such) all it's kept me guessing is is it going to get any better before the very end; it really should have been a short story in Woman's Weekly not a 300 page "novel".

Although to be honest I have been surprised by the number of Australian authors that I've read since we arrived - I'm not surprised that Australia has authors it's just my local library in Devon didn't really stock many... and I've read quite a few good books; one I currently have is called The Window Seat, it's a collection of short stories and I'm enjoying those.

I am watching the BBC adaptation of Great Expectations on the ABC at the moment and that's pretty good :)

Having thought about this for a few days - have you read The Thorn Birds? I know it's an older story but I first read it over 20 years ago and saw it at a Lions Book sale just after we arrived and re-read it then. It's a lovely love story - and it's set in Australia.

I recall reading it after seeing the mini series back in the early 80's (I was about 12 or 13 iirc). I loved the book. Re read it a few times and then somewhere in my early 20's left it alone. I may go revisit it :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest75

On a practical note....the online manual to a Mercury Optimax 115 Horsepower 2 stroke engine - just solved a little question I had, just love the exploded drawings.

Guest Guest75
A man reading an instruction manual! wow, but at least it was a man book and understandable, not like an Ikea dressing table assembly book :biggrin:

With the house move a while back I have gained Black Belt proficient in Ikea furniture LOL.

Guest Guest75

Back to serious. I am about to read a Brian Eno biography. He is such an artful and intelligent man.

He was the electronics man for Roxy Music all those years ago.

Back on thread......:cute:

I just finished 'Burial Rites' by Hannah Kent, the debut of an Adelaide author who studied at Flinders Uni, based on the true story of an Icelandic murder. Brilliant read. Also recently enjoyed 'The Light Across Oceans' by ML Stedman - set in WA, about a lighthouser keeper on a remote island - he and his wife discover a dead body and a baby washed ashore one night. Very gripping!

Guest matt n mel

I have just re-read "When God was a rabbit". Just love it, it's so heart warming and I love the references to the 60's, 70s, 80s 90s to keep the timeline memorable. It was released few years ago, but it's a great read. Not very highbrow or hard going or anything, just a lovely story. Not everyone's cup of tea I'm sure.

Back to serious. I am about to read a Brian Eno biography. He is such an artful and intelligent man.

He was the electronics man for Roxy Music all those years ago.

Back on thread......:cute:

One of my favourite albums - Another Green World by Eno.

As for books, I don't get the time to read them these days!

Guest Guest75
One of my favourite albums - Another Green World by Eno.

As for books, I don't get the time to read them these days!

Wahaay a fellow Eno Fan - with you on Another Green World, the previous two Albums "Taking Tiger Mountain by Strategy" and "Here Come the Warm Jets " are special too.

"Baby's on Fire" is in my top ten all time faves..

His fellow musical Friend Fripp is on my listen list as well.

"Land of the Never Never" ... This was the first book I read during my travels through the Australian outback almost 20 years ago!

I have just finished "Flight Behaviour" by Barbara Kingsolver.... it was very good.

I am currently half-way through The Book Thief but I am not enjoying it at all as finding it very depressing so I might leave it in a cafe somewhere.....

• 4 weeks later...