Seat reclining on aeroplanes

Meadows

Well- seeing as how no-one has mentioned this- what about all the publicity about seat reclining on aeroplanes ? and the new gizmo that stops it happening?

Here is my 5 cents worth. When we emigrated here over 3 years ago-we flew with Qantas from London. During the first mealtime the woman in the seat in front of me, decided she had finished her few crumbs and promptly reclined her seat- I ended up with my dinner in my lap! For the rest of 12 hours of the flight- I ate my food off my chest!

I complained to one of the flight attendants who said there was nothing I could to- the woman was free to do that as much as she liked. In fact the majority of the flight including all meal times her seat was reclined fully. By the time we reached Melbourne I was ready to do her some serious harm!

Personally I never recline my seat at mealtimes, I think it is being very selfish, I could have reclined my seat, but then the poor soul behind would have been inconvenienced as well. Maybe there should be an announcement before meals are served, advising people to upright their seats for everyone's well being. Once the meal is cleared away, another announcement to recline if needed.

What does everyone else think?

I'm surprised they wouldn't do anything. I've been on many a flight where as they handed out food they told people to put their seats up until trays were collected. I think that's perfectly fair. When there is no food though I'm all for reclining. If everyone does it then nobody has less room.

At one time, they used to announce that "meals will be coming around shortly please put your seat in the upright position until the trays have been collected thankyou" Have not heard that for a long time, but never had a problem with the asking the cabin crew on any airline and the cabin crew and passengers acting accordingly.

Flight service experience might go some way as to why we do not fly Qantas (or BA) any more.

I agree, when travelling with Singapore airlines the stewardesses have asked people to put their seats up during meal times. I always seem to get stuck behind someone who reclines their seat for the whole journey, but if this happens I just swap with my daughter because a reclined seat in front makes it just the right angle for her to see the tv screen. Have only travelled long haul with Qantas once and the stewards/esses were pretty reluctant to do anything helpful to anyone, never again.

On our way back home with Singapore Airlines, the woman in front reclined her seat with more force than necessary....my youngest who was only 7 at the time ended up with his dinner and a warm drink all over him. She didn't even apologize when he cried, very loudly, I must say. I had to take him to the loo and try to put cold water on his legs. It took all my strength not to cause a very big scene! She huffed and puffed the rest of the flight as if my son and myself where inconveniencing her. Honestly, some people have no manners. I would be totally affronted if I did that!

I have always checked to see if the person behind me was still eating. I have even checked with them verbally.

We had a to do with a women on qantas when we came over for our reccie, put her chair back whilst OH was eating as she wasn't going to be and informed him "I'M RECLINING MY SEAT YOU WONT LIKE ME IF I DONT" we all thought don't like you when you do so no different, asked the stewardess but they said if someone looks asleep they can't ask them to move. My mum was on the war path.

It's ashamed really she can't of slept very well, we just couldn't seem to get out the seat without hitting her chair and waking her up:biggrin: Petty I know but gave us some entertainment seeing as he had to eat his dinner out his lap.

Guest Claire-n-tel
I rarely eat on the flights, and try to sleep where possible - I wouldn't like to be woken up just so the person behind me can have an extra couple of inches of room to stuff their face! Reclining doesn't bother me - if you want extra room then pay for the upgrade or stop moaning.

WOW!....really?......glad I've never had to sit behind you!.....

Maybe if you want to lay back and sleep all the way it's you who should be paying for an upgrade?!

Edited by Claire-n-tel

On our way back home with Singapore Airlines, the woman in front reclined her seat with more force than necessary....my youngest who was only 7 at the time ended up with his dinner and a warm drink all over him. She didn't even apologize when he cried, very loudly, I must say. I had to take him to the loo and try to put cold water on his legs. It took all my strength not to cause a very big scene! She huffed and puffed the rest of the flight as if my son and myself where inconveniencing her. Honestly, some people have no manners. I would be totally affronted if I did that!

I have always checked to see if the person behind me was still eating. I have even checked with them verbally.

I think I sat behind her last time we flew - and she bolted her meal and thrust the seat back before I had even finished my starter!!! - At least I was only covered with water and the steward asked her politely to raise her seat till meals were finished! She was furious but did it ........ for about 5 minutes.

That is my Dad's biggest bugbear and what made them travel Business Class instead despite the horrendous cost - he nearly came to blows with someone on one trip (my Dad is in his 80s!) and the staff refused to do anything, as with you.

After one long trip here in cattle class years ago.

I now fly only Business class. I also try to get Bulk head seats.

Always use air miles for this as makes it a lot cheaper.

WOW!....really?......glad I've never had to sit behind you!.....

Maybe if you want to lay back and sleep all the way it's you who should be paying for an upgrade?!

As far as I'm aware seats are built to recline; therefore there is an expectation that people will recline them. On a 20 hour flight I want to sleep when my kids sleep - which may well be when the meals are served - there is no rule against reclining (the seats are designed to allow it), so those who buy these gadgets to stop them reclining are entirely in the wrong - hence many airlines banning them.

I don't think people should need to recline on short flights, and I wouldn't do so, but they are still well within their rights. On a long flight, if someone reclining bothers you then you have 2 very simple choices - either recline, and bingo you have the same space you started with or upgrade.

The etiquette behind reclining carefully is another matter - I would never sling the chair back at 100mph, I'd do it carefully.

The etiquette behind reclining carefully is another matter - I would never sling the chair back at 100mph, I'd do it carefully.

Is not to do so during meals. This has been the case since I first flew long-haul in 1975. I have no problem with reclining, though I do not generally recline myself, even if it means less comfort for me as I know this when I purchase tickets, so long as the person infront accepts that their seat will get bumped often as we pass to get out for toilet visits and exercise walks, they may sleep, we move around each to their own.

I have to say though the new style reclining system on the seating I have been in lately is a lot better.

As far as I'm aware seats are built to recline; therefore there is an expectation that people will recline them. On a 20 hour flight I want to sleep when my kids sleep - which may well be when the meals are served - there is no rule against reclining (the seats are designed to allow it), so those who buy these gadgets to stop them reclining are entirely in the wrong - hence many airlines banning them.

I don't think people should need to recline on short flights, and I wouldn't do so, but they are still well within their rights. On a long flight, if someone reclining bothers you then you have 2 very simple choices - either recline, and bingo you have the same space you started with or upgrade.

It's not just about space Gus, but also personal comfort, the space doesn't unduly worry me though it could others, but the reclined position is uncomfortable for me and for others it could be some physical limitations. So saying someone else can recline too is not entirely helpful and neither is paying to upgrade, but as others have said, if you do not want to be disturbed whilst everybody else is eating then you could upgrade (your whole family ) or even offer to upgrade the person/family behind you.

Come on Gus like you said you do not recline on 2 hr domestic flights then mealtimes on long haul flights is less than 2 hrs, not a big problem really is it.

After one long trip here in cattle class years ago.

I now fly only Business class. I also try to get Bulk head seats.

Always use air miles for this as makes it a lot cheaper.

Hi SWMBO, are you talking in the singular here or as a family of 4 or more?. Also are you talking of a single income for a couple or family or just the singular again? I am sure some of the family members on here would like to know how to fly business class all the time.

Also for my future reference does bulkhead seating really make any difference in business class on long haul flights?

Is not to do so during meals. This has been the case since I first flew long-haul in 1975. I have no problem with reclining, though I do not generally recline myself, even if it means less comfort for me as I know this when I purchase tickets, so long as the person infront accepts that their seat will get bumped often as we pass to get out for toilet visits and exercise walks, they may sleep, we move around each to their own.

I have to say though the new style reclining system on the seating I have been in lately is a lot better.

I've not made myself clear - I would never recline during the meal, but if I was asleep and already reclined I wouldn't want to be woken up - especially not when travelling with kids.

I've not made myself clear - I would never recline during the meal, but if I was asleep and already reclined I wouldn't want to be woken up - especially not when travelling with kids.

Arrrggghhh can I ask that you please advise us all in advance whenever you are planning to travel? The thought of not only being stuck behind a family with two small kids, but also a father who thinks his comfort on the flight is the only thing that matters is my absolute worse nightmare!

Totally agree with you ,I Fly Emirates once a month to DXB. (Next scheduled flight from ADL is on the 1st Sept seated in 31G) and I will be reclining between meals (you've been warned) lol.

Rgs. 246

Arrrggghhh can I ask that you please advise us all in advance whenever you are planning to travel? The thought of not only being stuck behind a family with two small kids, but also a father who thinks his comfort on the flight is the only thing that matters is my absolute worse nightmare!

As opposed to someone who travels without kids but thinks their comfort is so much more important than others that the rules should be changed to accommodate them?

Guest Claire-n-tel

I think every passenger on a plane (or bus/tram/boat etc) has a responsibility to try to maintain comfort not only of themselves but to other passengers.

I hope that I am a considerate passenger, for instance,

I would not complain about anyone having their seat reclined for the most part, but i always sit my chair upright during meals

I would not hold a loud conversation with someone that would disturb everyone else, but I would not complain about a small child crying (often nothing the parent can do about it)