Excess baggage on flights

Guest Guest14361

Guest Guest14361

Just be wary on internal flights that the carriers are ramping up there eyes on on board cabin baggage, if it seems oversize it will be weighed and checked in size and you could be charged a excess fee. Also only one piece of hand luggage will be allowed, which I think is great

I think its fair enough they clamp down on hand luggage. It gets silly when people are taking on 3 or 4 bags of varying sizes instead of checking a bag and then just having a small hand luggage item.

Is it becoming like the UK where cheap internal (and UK to overseas) flights are the norm now and they charge fees for everything else on top? So checked bags, pushchair, boarding early and so on. Most people then try to take only hand luggage to avoid fees for checked bags. But there small hand luggage sized suitacase is usually well over the 7kg limit. I've seen some weighed in at 10kg plus :eek: Don't be putting that in an overhead locked above me is all I can say.

Jetstar have always weighed my hand baggage, but the limit is 10kg. even Qantas have started checking the weight of hand luggage on domestic and international flights, but I am glad this is happening as I am fed up with trying to find a space for my hand baggage when the overhead compartments are full of oversize bags.

They all tend to go through these phases does get annoying though when you try to keep to the requirements. I remember once on an international flight, when the last fuel drama was about (when the fuel surcharge came in) at check-in my cabin bag was about half a kilo over, but my suit carrier which was going in to the hold was under, they said that I could swap bags but get this, the suit holder was well over-size and my hold baggage was then over weight, but that was seemed to be ok for them, any way I just took a couple of things out of my bag and put them in my coat pocket:wacko:everything still went on the plane.

I remember on one trip back from the UK Virgin were weighing everyone's handluggage and being very strict. Luckily it was winter so we all took books and stuff out of our hand luggage and put it in our coat pockets, let them weigh the hand luggage (they didn't weigh us though) and then afterwards put everything back in the hand luggage. I think they should be stricter on size though - so many people now take on actual suitcases as hand luggage, which are not soft and squashable and so take up far more space in the lockers than one person should be allowed.

Oh, and they should start weighing passengers and measuring their hips too!!

How does that work if you are say 6'4, solid build and clock in around 100kg, perhaps more?

Or if someone is 5ft and about 45 kilos?

It would be very unfair :goofy:

Or if you have a disability and can't exercise much which makes putting on weight very easy but also very hard to take off.

How does that work if you are say 6'4, solid build and clock in around 100kg, perhaps more?

Or if someone is 5ft and about 45 kilos?

It would be very unfair :goofy:

Lose some muscle mass in the weeks leading up to your flight? If you are 100kg you get 20kg for luggage. That's enough for 6+ weeks.

Or if you have a disability and can't exercise much which makes putting on weight very easy but also very hard to take off.

Exactly Toni.Many people are less fortunate than most of us,like the disabled,or those who have a debilitating long term illness,with which exercise is out of the question.Its a difficult one,and a minefield for the Airlines.I can see the other point of view too,there are many porkies who spend all day gorging themselves,but they would claim no doubt that they have a compulsion they cannot control!The only ones to win either way would be the Lawyers,once victimisation claims fly in(Pardonez le pun !).

I had a problem with Tiger..

Luggage was ok, no problems leaving Adelaide however its a totally different case when returning from Tigers 'shed' at the side of Melbourne airport!!

I bought less back with me than I took yet they were really picky!! It took ages for everyone to check in. They weigh your hand luggage and handbag/purse combined, which other airlines have never done with me.. I ended up wearing a jacket & jumper from my bag and changing my shoes.. so really my 'total ' weight was no different and I took the jacket off & put it back in my bag once I was on the plane.. totally pointless!!

I had a problem with Tiger..

Luggage was ok, no problems leaving Adelaide however its a totally different case when returning from Tigers 'shed' at the side of Melbourne airport!!

I bought less back with me than I took yet they were really picky!! It took ages for everyone to check in. They weigh your hand luggage and handbag/purse combined, which other airlines have never done with me.. I ended up wearing a jacket & jumper from my bag and changing my shoes.. so really my 'total ' weight was no different and I took the jacket off & put it back in my bag once I was on the plane.. totally pointless!!

That's called working the system, if you know the rules then, especially in winter travel to the northern hemisphere, you find a way to flaunt them, so coats with plenty of pockets for taking the small heavy items, maybe even a fleece inside too, wear your heaviest clothes, with lighter ones underneath, you only need the heavies on at check-in (you have to take them off at security anyhow) and maybe just as boarding, other than that they are drapped over your carry on bag. I have had to learn these tricks because I have a wife!

I remember on one trip back from the UK Virgin were weighing everyone's handluggage and being very strict. Luckily it was winter so we all took books and stuff out of our hand luggage and put it in our coat pockets, let them weigh the hand luggage (they didn't weigh us though) and then afterwards put everything back in the hand luggage. I think they should be stricter on size though - so many people now take on actual suitcases as hand luggage, which are not soft and squashable and so take up far more space in the lockers than one person should be allowed.

Oh, and they should start weighing passengers and measuring their hips too!!

Whilst I do not agree with the pay per weight idea, though the wife and I would balance things out together, because I think it would just be a total nightmare for airlines to administer, at what point do you get charged? at the time of booking or at check-in, but with internet check-in then at the boarding gate? There is ethnic tendencies to body size too and we are talking tall and small here not just width, I do not think there are enough Asians and midgets and children around to viably fill the planes.

I have always believed it should be based on 'pay per space'- the ability to fit with-in your seat, if you spill over your seat then you are invading the other passengers seat, and this could be to a point where it causes physical discomfort to the passenger buy being pushed and having to sit in an unnatural position, squashed against an arm rest, wall or another passenger, could the airlines then be found liable for not providing seating as advertised? Obviously there will have to be other considerations for health reasons, but even so if you know you will not fit into a seat as advertised then really it should be up to you to decide of your requirements/needs and notify the airline of such, and be accommodated appropriately and pay accordingly. I found something interesting on Air France web site which I think is a good idea http://www.airfrance.com/AU/en/common/guidevoyageur/assistance/particuliere_pfc.htm