Emergency services levy

sduffy

Has anyone noticed that the Emergency Services Levy has increased quite a bit this yr.? Thanks a lot Mr Abbott.

Sue

Hi Sue,

We've just received our ESL, it's gone up by $48 not really a huge increase though we were expecting it. That is $48 on the house it also affects, car rego amongst a number of other things. The ESL is a state government tax so you can thank the State Labor Government for this money grab, nothing to do with the Federal Government this time.

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, ours is up by over 160% :shocked:.

I wouldn't mind if I thought the money was actually an honest tax (is that an oxymoron??) to raise money for the emergency services, to support the CFS, SES etc, but an article in InDaily, 28 August, stated,

"The Treasurer also confirmed that the additional $357 million raised would not go to emergency services.

“What we’re doing is remove the discounts on the ESL and that money will go into spending on health and education …"

So...how does that fit in with this, from RevenueSA,

"By law, funds collected through the Emergency Services Levy are being placed into a dedicated account that can only be used to fund emergency services. The Department of Justice will distribute the funds and will publish financial reports each year."

Hmmm.

On a more positive note, looking on the website, you can apply to make the payment in four increments as long as you contact them before the due date.

LC

Yup, ours is up by over 160% :shocked:.

I wouldn't mind if I thought the money was actually an honest tax (is that an oxymoron??) to raise money for the emergency services, to support the CFS, SES etc, but an article in InDaily, 28 August, stated,

"The Treasurer also confirmed that the additional $357 million raised would not go to emergency services.

“What we’re doing is remove the discounts on the ESL and that money will go into spending on health and education …"

So...how does that fit in with this, from RevenueSA,

"By law, funds collected through the Emergency Services Levy are being placed into a dedicated account that can only be used to fund emergency services. The Department of Justice will distribute the funds and will publish financial reports each year."

Hmmm.

On a more positive note, looking on the website, you can apply to make the payment in four increments as long as you contact them before the due date.

LC

That's interesting.

I feel better if the funds are going to SES, and other emergency services but feel cheated if they are doing a slight of hand. Surely someone like Nick Xenophon would have picked up on something as underhand as this?

That's interesting.

I feel better if the funds are going to SES, and other emergency services but feel cheated if they are doing a slight of hand. Surely someone like Nick Xenophon would have picked up on something as underhand as this?

I read your comment, and decided to email the great Nick Z.

But then I read the treasurers comment again....do you think he means that it's actually the money which had been used for the discount that would go to education?

I'm so confused! It strikes me that it's all pollie-speak - you know, shut us up by appearing to put all this 'extra' money in to education, emergency services and health?

:confused: LC