Bilateral mobility zones - Bring it on!

Anne B

Apparently Boris Johnson wants there to be Bilateral mobiility zones between Australia, NZ and UK.

"Any Australian or New Zealander who wanted to travel to, live and work in Britain would get a free visa – although they would not get immediate access to welfare support.

The same would apply for British citizens who wanted to work in Australia."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/let-australians-live-and-work-in-britain-london-mayor-boris-johnson-backs-migration-report-20141103-11fwfn.html#ixzz3I4qXHOSl

What a fantastic idea! As someone who has lived with all the hassle of visas just so that I can live in the same country as my husband of 20 years I can only wish that it had always been like this. Especially now as Australian spouses of UK citizens (and Australians generally) are treated so badly by the UK, whilst the country is flooded with EU citizens. Bring it on!

Hopefully it would also get rid of some of the ridiculousness of the Australian visa system whereby Brits have to prove they can speak English - at least the UK govt only makes you take the IELTS test if you are from a non-EU non-English speaking country.

It's not April 1st is it????

I thought Boris was a good bloke until I read this ridiculous idea and now think he's a bit of an idiot.

Every migrant to the UK and their dog are British citizens. Do you really want all of them to be able to freely come over here? Personally I'm glad there are so many hurdles involved in migration as it keeps (most of) the riff raff out and hopefully continues to do so.

Guest Guest75

An absolutely awful idea - immigration and requirements need to be tough or things quickly get out of hand.

It took us a long time to hold the visa in our hot little hands but it made us appreciate it all the more.

I sometimes wish it was harder to get into Australia. This site would have been a lot better if people were vetted more carefully.

How rude ;)

Anyway - it's a typical stupid Boris idea - the UK turned it's back on the Commonwealth years ago and got into bed with Europe - now that hasn't worked out too well you get stuff like this. As for Australia, it needs to find it's own way in the world which means embracing all cultures, not having open doors to the UK. We got the chance to come to Australia because we had an education, had worked hard, didn't have a criminal record, were responsible people, all those values the UK doesn't seem to value anymore. Am I precious about this opportunity we had? - you bet I am!

Edited by flossybeth