Tony Abbott and the liberals...your thoughts?

ozzieclare2be

Toxic Tony! Although actually out of him, Pyne, Morrison, Hockey, Bishop, it's probably Abbott I feel sorryest (is that a word?) for as he seems so totally out of his depth and more and more like just a glove puppet for Peta Credlin. Did you see that speech where he was talking about shirt-fronting Putin and said "you bet you are...I mean you bet I am"? I really think his speech writers have got it in for him sometimes!

I really hope the average man in the street remembers all the bad things when the next election comes around...although I fear there will be a period of bribery just before which will be all that sticks in people's minds when that ballot paper is in front of them :sad:

I don't really take that much interest in politics but the term "clown" springs to mind.

I am astounded that individuals / a political party can openly state their policy, collect votes based upon this policy and then do the exact opposite of what was promised. In any other sphere it would constitute fraud.

I would like someone to start a petition to see how many voters feel cheated by the present government.

I am totally appalled by the Liberal govt.The high handed and frankly condascending attitude they have adopted towards the electorate appalls me.Their total disregard for the environment and the their blatant acquiescence to big business incenses me.We are the custodians and they should not be allowing big business to plunder such natural wonders as the Great Barrier Reef,so glad Obama wasnt prepared to keep his mouth shut on that one.I have never known any other govt to break as many election promises as this one and if this was in the Corporate world proceedings for Misrepresentation would be forthcoming,why not in politics.They seem to live in such a privilaged bubble they do not see the detrimental impact their policies are having.Having seen some pretty vitriolic arguements in recent months from various quarters, the perception of Australia in the wider world has been seriously damaged by this governments policies,in various areas,such as climate change,environment,asylum seekers.

The individuals involved in this govt seem so utterly smug and righteous it is truly frightening.I despise the way that their personal views ,particularly Tony Abbott's,seem to dictate policy,that should not be allowed to prevail.

The budget has been a complete shambles,Parliament seems to be a kindergarten of unruly childre,Truly juvenile.

Sue

I am astounded that individuals / a political party can openly state their policy, collect votes based upon this policy and then do the exact opposite of what was promised. In any other sphere it would constitute fraud.

So true. Sadly.

Abbott seems smugly hellbent on doing the exact opposite of everything he was voted in for. He is in danger of causing damage that we, as a country, will find hard to put right.

At least we've always had Nick Xenophon and Bob Such (RIP; he was a wonderful man) to vote for, so I've never yet voted for either the Liberals or Labor.

LC

Guest Guest14361

Seems to be plenty of liberal bashing going on here about lies, saying one thing and then back flipping......I remember a Labour Party PM doing the same re a carbon tax.....they are all the same no matter which party

.....they are all the same no matter which party

Worldwide too! .....they have no integrity, respect for others......and think they are better than others.....they should invent a new dictionary meaning for "Politician" perhaps something like.......someone who is voted in and then goes through their election promises one by one and re-nigs on them.....someone who has double standards.....did you see that Mr Rabbit's daughter won a scholarship.....gee they must be short of a dollar or what....

Guest Claire-n-tel
Just gathering thoughts on migrants (new old or other) thoughts of the pm Tony Aboott and the liberals, good bad or indifferent for a little survey im doing :-)

Just out of interest Clare.....what is your survey for?

I've got no time for this government and think it's embarrassing that Australia's PM is Tony Abbott. When we first arrived here in '07 and I heard him speak, I wondered how he ever became a minister under Howard and, wishfully I now realise, assumed that had been the high-point of the man's political career ...

However, nothing brings out confirmatory bias more than politics (perhaps with the exception of migration); we see examples of things we're looking for everywhere, and ignore those that don't fit the pattern. Regardless of Abbott's obvious deficits, there's nothing here that I didn't see under the last bunch. Broken promises? Yep, can tick that one off. Acquiescence to big business? Well, massive tracts of land were opened up to mining under the last government and unprofitable car companies were heavily subsidised (not commenting on whether this is wrong or right). Environment? Well, at least the last lot seemed to believe that something needed to happen, but they told their biggest, most obvious lie about this, and in case we think that was their only environmental blemish, it's worth mentioning that they approved a dozen plans for ports and dredging along the QLD coast facing the GBR (which if they'd gone ahead would have resulted in more than ten times the amount of dumping at sea than with current plans). The GBR has been in decline for many years, suffering at the hands of state and commonwealth governments of both persuasions.

Incidentally, regardless of Australia's (very poor) record and future direction with environmental matters, nobody from this country should have to sit and listen to pontificating from an American president when it comes to taking climate change seriously. Kyoto anyone? (Clinton, G doub'ya Bush and Obama all failed to ratify it. It started in '97 and although signed by the USA didn't need adopting unless ratified. No progress towards its targets has been made by America - one of only two (the other being Kazakhstan - to show total disregard. Its successor is due to be negotiated starting this time next year. In advance of that, the American government has stated that it will not ratify any treaty that commits America to reducing CO2 emissions).

Politics aside, I'm interested in the OP's survey - this seems like a very 'loose' way of gathering views. What's it for and how is it being structured? (Seems only fair if you ask for input that we find out something about how it will be used.)

Jim

Edited by jim and adel

I'm a relative newcomer, so my opinions are possibly less valid than long term residents, but I am genuinely amazed that this man made it to the premier political position in a developed country which has a high proportion of highly educated people.

He is totally without conviction, integrity, compassion or even humanity. People mock Putin for his autocratic approach, but he's ex-kgb and it's almost to be expected. Abbot is meant to be a decent family man, yet is throwing the electorate to the wolves. His approach to asylum seekers in locking up children and parents who are just looking for a better life is abhorrent.